Author Topic: Celtics after Gallinari  (Read 4622 times)

Celtics after Gallinari
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm not too keen on this move. I'm not a big fan of Gallo. I'm rather go after George.

Re: Celtics after Gallinari
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Source?  Link?  Anything?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that's more speculation from the Herald than an actual sourced rumor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Source?  Link?  Anything?

You can expect the Celts to keep an eye on Danilo Gallinari, a shooter they’ve tried to get in the past. Ainge has an NBA man-crush on Gallinari, who hasn’t been on the rumor radar, but that also was the case when Ainge went after Isaiah Thomas two years ago.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/celtics_insider/2017/02/bulpett_danny_ainge_willing_but_patient_as_trade_deadline

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
i like gallo...but he can opt out after the season...i don't think ainge wants rentals...if ainge could get him to opt in before the trade...i'm all in.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Celtics May Pursue Danilo Gallinari
February 18th, 2017 at 7:03pm CST by Arthur Hill
The Celtics may try to pick up Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari before Thursday’s trade deadline, writes Steve Bulpett of The Boston Herald.

Boston GM Danny Ainge has long been a fan of Gallinari, according to Bulpett, and has tried to deal for him before. There haven’t been any trade rumors linking the Celtics and Gallinari this year, but the author notes that was also true with Isaiah Thomas before Ainge dealt for him two years ago.

Gallinari has been slowed by a groin injury and hasn’t played since February 1st. He has a player option worth $16.1MM next season.

Boston is hoping to add another scorer through trade, and Ainge has been active in talks during All-Star Weekend, both as a main participant and a facilitator, according to Bulpett. So far, Ainge hasn’t found a deal worth giving up his most valuable assets, which include the Nets’ first-rounders this season and in 2018.

“Danny’s let it be known that he’s willing to talk about the Nets’ picks,” said an unidentified executive. “But you want one of those guys, you have to be willing to give up a star.”

Ainge would also prefer to stay away from players whose contracts expire this year or next year. The Celtics had some interest in Serge Ibaka before Orlando traded him to Toronto, but they weren’t willing to part with much because they weren’t sure they could re-sign him in free agency.

Bulpett adds that the Celtics are very protective of their cap space and are reluctant to make a move that would hurt them on the free agent market. He speculates that it would take someone like Jimmy Butler or Paul George to tempt Boston to add significant salary in a pre-deadline trade.

The Celtics are also significantly less interested in trading for Jahlil Okafor than they were a year ago, Bulpett notes. They had talked to the Sixers about an Okafor deal at last year’s deadline, but after signing Al Horford the Celtics only want front-line players who they believe are compatible with him. Boston might have more interest in Philadelphia’s Nerlens Noel, but the team won’t offer as much as it would have in 2016.

The author believes the Celtics would love to pick up Andrew Bogut from Dallas if the Mavericks decide to be sellers, but again wouldn’t pay a high price in a deal.

RETWEETLIKESEND VIA EMAIL

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ugh. Gallinari is almost as injury prone as Bogut. Gets hurt every year. He's overpaid, too. Denver would love to get rid of his contract. He's a 3P gunner. Ainge was, too, and the Celtics appear to be 3P crazy right now.

Bulpett's article looks to be a review, though he may have some insights into Ainge's thinking.
I don't know if Gallinari is a serious option at his salary. It would kill their FA hunt next summer.

Get a rebounder, Danny. You need more 2nd shots. Save the big stuff for draft night unless Larry wants to deal George now.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:04:33 PM by Bobshot »

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Ugh. Gallinari is almost as injury prone as Bogut. Gets hurt every year. He's overpaid, too. Denver would love to get rid of his contract. He's a 3P gunner. Ainge was, too, and the Celtics appear to be 3P crazy right now.

Get a rebounder, Danny. You need more 2nd shots.

........and stop our opponents from 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 5th shots which DESTROY a defense's spirit.

Unfortunately, as you and I have discussed before, a pure rebounder is not a personnel priority for this team, because CBS' offense dictates Danny's moves, and the offense prioritizes floor spreaders over rebounders AND rim protectors.

If this was ever in doubt, and many on here have questioned it, this quote from the same Bulpett article should put all that doubt to rest:

In addition, on the subject of big people, Ainge has said he doesn’t want anyone who would hinder the Celts from playing their preferred offense in which the floor is spread. He’s also acknowledged the critical need for better defensive rebounding, so if he’s trying to satisfy both desires, maybe the president of basketball operations is doing a little unicorn-hunting here

So that is why there will be no Noel, no Monroe, no Faried, no anybody who can't spread the floor, even though they may be great rebounders. Sadly, I think they would turn their back on an in their prime Paul Silas or Dennis Rodman.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:42:19 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:35 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Gallo's a terrific scorer but I'd rather get someone who can play inside/outside or someone who's a legit two way star like Butler/Hayward/George.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Like people said above, this is all speculation

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 12:47:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

........and stop our opponents from 2nd, 3rd and 4th and 5th shots which DESTROY a defense's spirit.

Unfortunately, as you and I have discussed before, a pure rebounder is not a personnel priority for this team, because CBS' offense dictates Danny's moves, and the offense prioritizes floor spreaders over rebounders AND rim protectors.

If this was ever in doubt, and many on here have questioned it, this quote from the same Bulpett article should put all that doubt to rest:

In addition, on the subject of big people, Ainge has said he doesn’t want anyone who would hinder the Celts from playing their preferred offense in which the floor is spread. He’s also acknowledged the critical need for better defensive rebounding, so if he’s trying to satisfy both desires, maybe the president of basketball operations is doing a little unicorn-hunting here

So that is why there will be no Noel, no Monroe, no Faried, no anybody who can't spread the floor, even though they may be great rebounders. Sadly, I think they would turn their back on an in their prime Paul Silas or Dennis Rodman.
If there's anyone on the market as good as those two guys for cheap I think Danny would gladly change the offense for them, the problem is that the Noels and Farieds of the world are nowhere as dominant inside as the two
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:38 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Thank goodness.  No dinosaurs please.  They went extinct for a reason and reactionary attempts to bring them back (Jurassic Park) ended in disaster. 

We need to move forward.  'Let the dead bury the dead.'

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:30:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thank goodness.  No dinosaurs please.  They went extinct for a reason and reactionary attempts to bring them back (Jurassic Park) ended in disaster. 

We need to move forward.  'Let the dead bury the dead.'

You realize that the Warriors, Cavs and Spurs all start "dinosaurs", right? Same thing with the Rockets, Wizards, Clippers, Jazz, Raptors, and Hawks. Along with the Celtics, those are the top five teams in each conference. None of them start two floor spacers.

I'm on board with intelligent, ball-moving bigs. The idea that a guy needs to shoot threes rather than rebound is nonsense, however.

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 08:25:48 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
i like gallo...but he can opt out after the season...i don't think ainge wants rentals...if ainge could get him to opt in before the trade...i'm all in.

Ainge would gladly Gallo if it was a trade involving Zeller + Jerebko and a 2nd round pick.

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Ainge would gladly Gallo if it was a trade involving Zeller + Jerebko and a 2nd round pick.
If we get him Cheap I am all in. Danny is stirring he pot to get other to say it is time. Hence George and the Pacers talking pick. We have had some moves I see more coming.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek