Author Topic: Pre-Deadline Original Trade Ideas  (Read 8615 times)

Re: Pre-Deadline Original Trade Ideas
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2017, 03:09:39 PM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
The Celtics have expressed "deep interest" in PJ Tucker, according to Sean Deveaney:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-jimmy-butler-bulls-celtics-isaiah-thomas-deadline/wo2db2qpah1k1ipuoobw0v2ey

Interesting. I don't hate it. Fits with our identity
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
In another thread I proposed Zeller, Jackson, and the Minny 2nd PJ Tucker and Leandro Barbosa.  I'll reiterate that idea here.

I'd like to see the Cs keep Jackson if possible. I'd prefer they trade Mickey, but I get your point.

I presume RMcD is holding out for a future 1st. I doubt he can get it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 03:46:38 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'll throw another one out there:

Jordan Mickey to Lakers for Thomas Robinson and Bulls 2019 2nd round pick.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In another thread I proposed Zeller, Jackson, and the Minny 2nd PJ Tucker and Leandro Barbosa.  I'll reiterate that idea here.

I'd like to see the Cs keep Jackson if possible. I'd prefer they trade Mickey, but I get your point.

I like Jackson, but I don't think he has a future on this team.  If Ainge is seriously still targeting a max free agent this summer, they're going to need to create a little more cap room ($1-2 million most likely).  Moving on from Jackson gets about $575k more space.  While not a lot, it could wind up being exactly what they need to do in July anyway.  So if it's what greases a deal to completion, so be it.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

I like Jackson, but I don't think he has a future on this team.  If Ainge is seriously still targeting a max free agent this summer, they're going to need to create a little more cap room ($1-2 million most likely).  Moving on from Jackson gets about $575k more space.  While not a lot, it could wind up being exactly what they need to do in July anyway.  So if it's what greases a deal to completion, so be it.

I think Rozier is likely to be a key piece of any "star" trade this summer (or sooner). Example: I'd bet Rozier is the most likely roster asset (meaning, non-expiring) to be traded in a Butler deal, if one occurs.

That's part of my desire to keep Jackson. Could be a solid back-up on the cheap, if this team gets cap strapped by signing or trading for a max guy.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I think Rozier is likely to be a key piece of any "star" trade this summer (or sooner). Example: I'd bet Rozier is the most likely roster asset (meaning, non-expiring) to be traded in a Buyler deal, if one occurs.

That's part of my desire to keep Jackson. Could be a solid back-up on the cheap, if this team gets cap strapped by signing or trading for a max guy.

I don't think there's a trade.  I think there's simply a major free agent signing, and Rozier sticks around for two more years on his rookie deal.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'll throw another one out there:

Jordan Mickey to Lakers for Thomas Robinson and Bulls 2019 2nd round pick.

I thought this was a pretty good idea. Robinson can handle big boy minutes in a pinch.

But I'd add, this trade could be:

"Celtics trade Mickey (anywhere) for a (not 2017) 2nd round pick and expiring contract of _____."

He's not making the team next year. Trade him now and open a roster spot.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 07:52:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
No one else thinks Jones could be a strong addition? Dude always plays well at the TD.

Terrence Jones?  I think he would be a fantastic addition, but he is an unrestricted free agent after this year and I don't see him as a long term guy, at least not the first choice for one.

I think he would be a good player to trade for, but with the possibility of only having him for half a season I wouldn't give up too much of value.

I like Jones a lot too....rugged and runs the floor.

And sspence's proposal of Mickey and Minny (2nd) doesn't sound like too much value to give up.

Pels in the running for  that last playoff spot in the West, which is why I think they may be buyers rather than sellers at the deadline, hence their interest in Lopez and to a lesser extent Okafor.

TP to sspence for a god trade idea for us. Not sure Pels bite, though.

Yeah I would do that trade easily.  Mickey hasn't done much to crack the rotation yet in Boston, and with two guys (Yab and Zizic) who look like they could be rotation players ready to come over next year I would not hesitate to do this deal.

"New Orleans now seeking trade partner for forward Terrence Jones, league sources tell ESPN. Mutual decision on behalf of team, Jones' camp." @ChrisBHaynes

My original deal was for Mickey, but I wonder if NOP would do James Young and a 2nd. Add some shooting around their new big man duo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:29:12 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
If Jones fits in well -- he's a nice back up plan in FA this summer. Or if he does and the Cs succeed in signing Hayward (or Griffin or whoever), find a creative way to keep him by clearing salary... i.e. trading Crowder for a lottery pick.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No one else thinks Jones could be a strong addition? Dude always plays well at the TD.

Terrence Jones?  I think he would be a fantastic addition, but he is an unrestricted free agent after this year and I don't see him as a long term guy, at least not the first choice for one.

I think he would be a good player to trade for, but with the possibility of only having him for half a season I wouldn't give up too much of value.

I like Jones a lot too....rugged and runs the floor.

And sspence's proposal of Mickey and Minny (2nd) doesn't sound like too much value to give up.

Pels in the running for  that last playoff spot in the West, which is why I think they may be buyers rather than sellers at the deadline, hence their interest in Lopez and to a lesser extent Okafor.

TP to sspence for a god trade idea for us. Not sure Pels bite, though.

Yeah I would do that trade easily.  Mickey hasn't done much to crack the rotation yet in Boston, and with two guys (Yab and Zizic) who look like they could be rotation players ready to come over next year I would not hesitate to do this deal.

"New Orleans now seeking trade partner for forward Terrence Jones, league sources tell ESPN. Mutual decision on behalf of team, Jones' camp." @ChrisBHaynes

My original deal was for Mickey, but I wonder if NOP would do James Young and a 2nd. Add some shooting around their new big man duo.

I had a similar thought, Young plus the Minny second could get it done no problem.  I don't know if he's an improvement over Jerebko, though, which is the role he'd be trying to take
I'm bitter.

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 07:27:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Bulpett raises the idea of JaMychal Green. I think this is interesting for a couple reasons:

1) He's a rebounding upgrade at the 4 over Amir. Also has turned into an excellent team defender.

2) He's an RFA at season's end -- due for a payday that MEM may not be interested in.

Saltlover (or someone) can you confirm that his cap hold this summer will only be about $1.3mil? If that's the case, the Cs could trade for him and potentially re-sign him to a fair market deal AFTER using our cap space to sign a player like Hayward. 

If so, I can see a few potential deals.

Example: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zsuosup

BOS sends MEM the MIN 2017 2nd Round Pick

Or a 3 Team deal with NOP: http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zdkatr2

BOS sends LAC 2017 2nd Round Pick to MEM and CLE 2017 2nd Round Pick to NOP
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 07:31:34 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Bulpett raises the idea of JaMychal Green. I think this is interesting for a couple reasons:

1) He's a rebounding upgrade at the 4 over Amir. Also has turned into an excellent team defender.

2) He's an RFA at season's end -- due for a payday that MEM may not be interested in.

Saltlover (or someone) can you confirm that his cap hold this summer will only be about $1.3mil? If that's the case, the Cs could trade for him and potentially re-sign him to a fair market deal AFTER using our cap space to sign a player like Hayward. 

Ordinarily Green would have a $1.47 million cap hold as a minimum salary player.  However, because he's a restricted free agent who meets "starter" criteria, he has a higher qualifying offer than normal,  of $3.38 million, which replaces his cap hold.

Still, if it only took seconds and someone like Jordan Mickey, I'd be very interested.  I just can't see why it would.  Green, being a restricted free agent, can be kept next season pretty easily, and he's a starter who plays more than half their minutes for a team that is ostensibly trying to win.

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Ordinarily Green would have a $1.47 million cap hold as a minimum salary player.  However, because he's a restricted free agent who meets "starter" criteria, he has a higher qualifying offer than normal,  of $3.38 million, which replaces his cap hold.

Still, if it only took seconds and someone like Jordan Mickey, I'd be very interested.  I just can't see why it would.  Green, being a restricted free agent, can be kept next season pretty easily, and he's a starter who plays more than half their minutes for a team that is ostensibly trying to win.

Obviously it would have to be a function of their unwillingness to pay him $10-12mil this summer. If they don't wish to -- instead promotion Martin, or trading for Jones -- it's possible. But as you say if they're prepared to pay him (or even if they're unsure) he'll likely stay put.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'd love a deal for Green, especially if it only took a player like Young or Mickey and a 2nd rounder.  We could use a rebounder like him (he would instantly be the best defensive and overall rebounder on the team), and his ability to hit the three (shooting 36.8% this year) would mean that he could replace Jerebko in the rotation without a significant drop off (and he'd have the opportunity to take more minutes, and maybe starts, from Amir).

Even if we didn't keep him long term, that price is great.
I'm bitter.