Author Topic: Pre-Deadline Original Trade Ideas  (Read 8636 times)

Pre-Deadline Original Trade Ideas
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd like to start a thread that challenges this board to NOT regurgitate the same old names for the umpeenth time, many of whom have zero practical chance of getting traded here. Meaning no:

Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Jimmy Butler
Carmelo Anthony
Nerlens Noel
Gordon Hayward
Greg Monroe
Jahlil Okafor
Nikola Vucevic
Brook Lopez
Paul Millsap
Andrew Bogut (he's worth Zeller and a pick or prospect -- we get
It)

Some other elements I believe make for a smart trade proposal this deadline:

1) Ainge is very unlikely to take on meaningful salary for 2018 for a role player. In other words, he's
unlikely to make a trade for, say, Ed Davis, unless he's trading back the same level of salary -- and there's no player signed thru next year who makes sense to trade back in that case.

2) He's not trading the 2017 Nets pick before the trade deadline. MAYBE this summer. But right now it makes no sense and won't happen.

3) Ainge isn't giving up meaningful assets for a rental. No player on a rookie deal is getting traded for a rental, short of Mickey or Young. And no 1st round pick is getting traded for a rental, with the possible exception of the 2018 Celtics pick, or one way down the road (not the 2019 Memphis pick).

4) Ainge will look to aggressively trade their many 2nd round picks. Considering the myriad rookie contracts, stashed players, and upcoming 1sts -- the Cs have very little use for late round picks like Ben Bentil et al who won't make the roster.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Pre-Deadline Original Trade Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'll lead with one:

Cs trade Zeller, Mickey, and a 2017 2nd rounder to Chicago for Taj Gibson.

They open a roster spot to look for a bought out veteran in March. If one doesn't materialize, they sign Jonathan Holmes to a Chris Babb-style deal with an unguaranteed option for next season, or sign Yabusele to his rookie deal (though I'd imagine they'd prefer to wait until this summer). 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:45:14 AM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:35 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'll throw in one that I would hate to see happen but think could actually work for both teams:

Jonas Jerebko for... Jared Sullinger and the Raptors' 2017 (and maybe 2018) 2nd(s)

I know a lot people were happy to see Sully go, but he would fill a huge hole for us with his rebounding.  Jerebko has done very well for us this year, but with Horford on the team and Kelly stepping up recently I don't think he would be a huge loss.  He would also give us someone that can actually bang with big men inside (which Amir and Horford are just not very good at).  For Toronto, they deal away a player that was pretty redundant on their team and barely played for a guy that can help space the floor off the bench.  The 2nd rounders are pretty crappy, but they don't have any other picks to deal (there's no way you get their first this year or next for Jonas Jerebko), so they're just there as a bit of a sweetener.

And, best of all, can you imagine the number of threads that would start complaining about Danny bringing back Sullinger? This forum would become very entertaining for a week or so
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:48 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'll lead with one:

They open a roster spot to look for a bought out veteran in March. If one doesn't materialize, they sign Jonathan Holmes to a Chris Babb-style deal with an unguaranteed option for next season, or sign Yabusele to his rookie deal (though I'd imagine they'd prefer to wait until this summer).

Johathan Holmes? Noooooooo. He's been with FC Barcelona a couple of months and, in a mediocre team, was one of the worst players on the floor (worse than Justin Doellman, Sasha Vezenkov, Ante Tomic and Joey Dorsey, and that's a lot to say). Anyone but him, please  :o

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:05:43 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'll throw in one that I would hate to see happen but think could actually work for both teams:

Jonas Jerebko for... Jared Sullinger and the Raptors' 2017 (and maybe 2018) 2nd(s)

I know a lot people were happy to see Sully go, but he would fill a huge hole for us with his rebounding.  Jerebko has done very well for us this year, but with Horford on the team and Kelly stepping up recently I don't think he would be a huge loss.  He would also give us someone that can actually bang with big men inside (which Amir and Horford are just not very good at).  For Toronto, they deal away a player that was pretty redundant on their team and barely played for a guy that can help space the floor off the bench.  The 2nd rounders are pretty crappy, but they don't have any other picks to deal (there's no way you get their first this year or next for Jonas Jerebko), so they're just there as a bit of a sweetener.

And, best of all, can you imagine the number of threads that would start complaining about Danny bringing back Sullinger? This forum would become very entertaining for a week or so

Not a fan, but TP for originality.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'll lead with one:

Johathan Holmes? Noooooooo. He's been with FC Barcelona a couple of months and, in a mediocre team, was one of the worst players on the floor (worse than Justin Doellman, Sasha Vezenkov, Ante Tomic and Joey Dorsey, and that's a lot to say). Anyone but him, please  :o

He plays in the d league now. Had some nice games. I think he's be a good end of bench 3-and-D end of bench experiment.

But obviously it's not the reason for, not a necessity, to making his deal.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Rozier to the Knicks for Herangomez. 

Edit:. Looks like Herangomez was named a replacement in the rising stars game.  He's been playing really well lately.  Might take a little more than just Rozier, but I think E would be a great fit for Boston.

Rozier and a few other assets?  Late first, couple seconds?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:30:58 AM by NHCelticsFan »

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'll lead with one:

He plays in the d league now. Had some nice games. I think he's be a good end of bench 3-and-D end of bench experiment.

But obviously it's not the reason for, not a necessity, to making his deal.

I know, I know. Just reporting how he's played against tough competition  :D

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Trade Zeller, Amir and Rozier for Taj Gibson, Rondo and a future first round pick (protected).

why for Chicago: get rid of Rondo. Get a good prospect PG in Rozier. Good reserves in Amir and Zeller.

why for Boston: get rebounds (Gibson). Get an overpaid leader for 2nd unit in the playoffs (Evan Turner's style). Get a future pick.

Then sign Larry Sanders to build an improved rotation to face the Raptors/Wizards/Cavs:

IT/Rondo/DJ
Bradley/Smart/Green
Crowder/Brown/Young
Gibson/KO/Jerebko
Horford/Sanders/Mickey

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Oh man, I love these type of threads. I went hard on exploring previous trade rumors for other teams to put us in a 4-team shuffle to get us the player I wanted DA to pick in 2013... hahaha. Ok check this out:

Sacramento Receives: Brandon Knight 12.6M, Jordan Hill 4.0M, and Jordan Mickey 1.2M

Minnesota Receives: Tyler Zeller 8.0M, PJ Tucker 5.3M, Darren Collison 5.2M, and the 2019 MEM 1st, their own 2017 2nd

Phoenix Receives: Kosta Kufos 8.0M and Shabazz Muhammad 3.0M

Boston Receives: Gorgui Dieng 2.3M PPP (16.0M x 4)

Alright so to break it down; Sac really likes Knight, Phoenix really likes Muhammad, Minny wants vets (including Tucker via trade rumors), and Boston needs a big who can rebound and defend. Sac has nothing of value to get Knight but they do have an expiring point guard in Collison who they can send to Minny who lost Levine for the year and is looking for vet help. Minny can then send Muhammad To Pheonix for their guy that they like, PJ Tucker. But Minny wants a first for Muhammad, so Boston steps in with the picks to help facilitate the swap and picks up Deing in the process, shelling out Zeller and Mickey to make money work. It's also important to note that Len from Pheonix didn't get a contract extension last summer because the club is unsure about him. They also pick up a 27 year old center in Kufos who's locked up for another 3 years at 8.0m per.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:47 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Jerebko and either the Memphis or Clips 1st for Jordan Hill. It's an expiring to Minny plus an asset.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'll lead with one:

Why would the Bulls make that trade?  They haven't shown any inclination to tank and doing so would p--- off Butler. They're not getting anything of worth in that trade for someone who has started 55 games for them.  Also, it is a 2-for-1 trade so they'd have to cut someone else to free up a roster spot. 

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We stand pat at the deadline. When summer comes, we draft Fultz or Ball and we trade IT for Myles Turner. Hopefully we sign Gordon Hayward as well.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Trade Zeller, Amir and Rozier for Taj Gibson, Rondo and a future first round pick (protected).

why for Chicago: get rid of Rondo. Get a good prospect PG in Rozier. Good reserves in Amir and Zeller.

why for Boston: get rebounds (Gibson). Get an overpaid leader for 2nd unit in the playoffs (Evan Turner's style). Get a future pick.

Then sign Larry Sanders to build an improved rotation to face the Raptors/Wizards/Cavs:

IT/Rondo/DJ
Bradley/Smart/Green
Crowder/Brown/Young
Gibson/KO/Jerebko
Horford/Sanders/Mickey
That's an even worse trade for the Bulls.  Bulls aren't giving up a future 1st.  Only 3M of Rondo's contract is guaranteed next year, so the Bulls will just cut him if they want to get rid of him.   

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I like both these guys, and to get them both really shores up our frontcourt to strengthen our ECF bid.

Trevor Booker for Zeller, Young and whatever non-BK picks are necessary.

Kyle O'Quinn for D Jackson, Mickey and whatever Non-BK picks are necessary. (i'd even think about giving up KO for O'Quinn.

IT/Rozier
Bradley/Smart
Crowder/JB
Horford/Booker/Jerebko
O'Quinn/Amir