Author Topic: Pacers Shopping Their 2017 First Rounder For Help..  (Read 2625 times)

Pacers Shopping Their 2017 First Rounder For Help..
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18708813/indiana-pacers-willing-trade-first-round-pick-help-paul-george

Well I guess Bird and the FO heard the rumors.

They are looking for an established wing player OR frontline player.

It's a deep draft so the pick could hold good value.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Pacers Shopping Their 2017 First Rounder For Help..
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:34:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
smoke screen? Double bluff?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Maybe Ainge should trade Bradley for it.

That's what the Pro-Draft people would agree with. 2 Top-20 draft picks!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929

Bradley's worth much more than their first round pick, which he'd probably help them get even a few spots higher. He'd be a really good fit for them, though.

Seems like a desperation move by Bird knowing his time is running out with George. Actually, he should've used that pick to try and get Ibaka, who would've been an ideal fit between Turner and George. No idea who they could actually try and get now to really help them out. They seemed primed to be first round fodder again this year.

I ultimately expect to see George basically force his way out this summer by not agreeing to an extension after another first round exit, and that's if they don't happen to fall out of the playoffs with one of the Bucks, Bulls, or Pistons knocking them out.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:52:14 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Bradley's worth much more than their first round pick, which he'd probably help them get even a few spots higher. He'd be a really good fit for them, though.

Seems like a desperation move by Bird knowing his time is running out with George. Actually, he should've used that pick to try and get Ibaka, who would've been an ideal fit between Turner and George. No idea who they could actually try and get now to really help them out. They seemed primed to be first round fodder again this year.

I ultimately expect to see George basically force his way out this summer by not agreeing to an extension after another first round exit, and that's if they don't happen to fall out of the playoffs with one of the Bucks, Bulls, or Pistons knocking them out.

Considering the new CBA, how's he gonna do that? You think Bird will blink considering the money George would be leaving on the table? Me neither.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Considering the new CBA, how's he gonna do that? You think Bird will blink considering the money George would be leaving on the table? Me neither.

I can read images of your brain and assess your cognitive functioning in every way possible.  But, you cannot.  So... do I win?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Honestly we have enough guys on the roster that it's not a crazy idea.  Depends what Larry wants.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:21:14 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

George isn't IT or Evan Turner.  He's already got one big contract in the bank and will just be 28 after next season, still young enough to sign a two year deal with an opt out after one and sign a max extension after that.

I think we're going to see more guys follow Greg Monroe's example and try and take more control of their careers, at least until somebody tries it and misses out on a max deal due to injury.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:14:57 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

George isn't IT or Evan Turner.  He's already got one big contract in the bank and will just be 28 after next season, still young enough to sign a two year deal with an opt out after one and sign a max extension after that.

I think we're going to see more guys follow Greg Monroe's example and try and take more control of their careers, at least until somebody tries it and misses out on a max deal due to injury.

Mike
Paul George is a superstar. Greg Monroe isn't close to the player PG is. Monroe had to take that contract because no one would give him more years. George will command a 4 year max from any team who doesn't have his Bird rights and will get it. He will probably command a 5 year max anyone who does hold his Bird rights and he will get it.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Can someone start another Paul George thread please? It's important his value and position is thoroughly debated for the ten thousandth time, considering Bird would sooner given up smoking or lose to MJ in the 'nothing but net' McDonald's ad than trade him.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Why is it desperation?  If you believe Paul George is the type of player that can lead a team to a championship, don't you have to consider trading your 1st round picks to build a team around him?

Look at Cleveland - Wiggins for Love.  That was an exceptional circumstance for sure but that's how you do it.  Same argument applies here for the Celtics.  If you think IT/Horford are a championship nucleus, you trade draft picks to make the team better around them.

Monta Ellis is a huge issue for Indy though so I am not sure how they can do any deal that benefits them without getting him off the team.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
They should've gone after Nurkic. Moved Turner back to PF. Gone big in the frontcourt. Use Thaddeus Young as a 6th man. That would have given them a strong frontcourt with quality depth behind it. They are too focused on going small and are missing out on opportunities to improve their team because of it.

Indy look much more secure when Turner has a 2nd big man out there next to him. He is struggling as the lone big man. Not ready for the responsibility. Not fundamentally sound enough on defense or as a rebounder. Needs help.

PG: Teague, Brooks
SG: (someone), Monta, Stuckey
SF: P.George, CJ Miles, G.Robinson III
PF: M.Turner, Thad Young, L.Allen
 C: Nurkic, Big Al, Seraphin

Need a two guard too to move Monta to the bench. He shouldn't be starting anymore. Doesn't need to be anyone special. Just someone that can shoot and give them 15-20mpg. They can probably find a D-Leaguer to do it.

That would have been a good team. A 46-51 win team.