Author Topic: Paul George Watch Thread  (Read 17181 times)

Paul George Watch Thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18705368/paul-george-noncommittal-signing-contract-extension-indiana-pacers

So as the ESPN report says and as @jpotter33 posted on the forums, Paul George is hesitant on signing an extension with the Pacers, because he wants to play for a "winning team", and the Pacers haven't been that great and are likely to be stuck in mediocrity for years to come.

Unless Bird can somehow bring another star to Indiana and another solid role player between now and the start of next season, Indiana will likely stay a fringe playoff team and NOT be a Top-4 team in the East. There was lots of hope especially when they added Teague, but it hasn't gotten them to Top-3 or Top-4 in the East as they hoped (now they are more a "distant 6th seed" and just 2 games ahead of the 8 seed).

McHale got Ainge and Boston Kevin Garnett, now maybe Larry Bird can help us out  ;D :P

I don't expect a trade to happen at the deadline, but if the Pacers continue to frustrate the rest of the season and in the playoffs (early exit), George may officially want out, and who but the Boston Celtics will come on knocking with their trade talks this summer.

IT says he will no doubt recruit at the deadline, but he won't say specifically "which players" he will recruit. After this report came out though, PG13 better be one of his priorities now.

For the season, PG13 is averaging 22/6/3 in ~36 MPG, though he hasn't done that well recently although part of that may be the frustration settling in with the Pacers these days.

My trade idea for PG13:

2017 Brooklyn Pick, Avery Bradley, Tyler Zeller, Terry Rozier, 2018 Boston First Rounder and 2019 Grizzlies OR Clippers First Rounder (their choice) for PG13. Sound fair?

Anyways, we can use this thread to monitor PG13 for the rest of the season, and for any developments that come up between now and this June.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Paul George Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Shouldn't we call it a wish thread? There is less than zero chance that Bird trades George short of a package no one will offer. Just lock it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:20:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Shouldn't we call it a wish thread? There is less than zero chance that Bird trades George short of a package no one will offer. Just lock it.

If we went by that logic, the other threads like Boogie, Butler, etc. would be locked too.

And if PG13 decides he's had enough of Indiana after this season, I don't think Bird has much of a choice. He won't be cheap obviously but his price may go down a tad bit.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
@jpotter is like a legitimate source now.  If he reported something in contradiction to Woj, I'd take our guy's word for it.

Time for a serious hypothetical, phantom. Bird calls your cell phone and leaves the following voicemail: "Phantom, my dude! Listen, I'll call Danny and send over PG for your proposed package, if you agree to never post on Celticsblog again.  I love your work there, but you're hurting my guys' trade values."

What do you do? The right answer will earn you a lot of TPs, so choose wisely...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

We're gonna lock you for persistent intolerance, buddy.  If this was AOL and I had a punter, you'd be offline right.about.now!

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

We're gonna lock you for persistent intolerance, buddy.  If this was AOL and I had a punter, you'd be offline right.about.now!

Neat.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

If we went by that logic, the other threads like Boogie, Butler, etc. would be locked too.

Exactly.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:34:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
@jpotter is like a legitimate source now.  If he reported something in contradiction to Woj, I'd take our guy's word for it.

Time for a serious hypothetical, phantom. Bird calls your cell phone and leaves the following voicemail: "Phantom, my dude! Listen, I'll call Danny and send over PG for your proposed package, if you agree to never post on Celticsblog again.  I love your work there, but you're hurting my guys' trade values."

What do you do? The right answer will earn you a lot of TPs, so choose wisely...

I mean.. couldn't I just create another account afterwards?

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:43:50 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Why lock the thread? Besides Paul George future with the Pacers up in the air right now.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Why lock the thread? Besides Paul George future with the Pacers up in the air right now.

It's actually not at all. Fans of other teams just wish it could be.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:59:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

George is not committed to staying long term with the Pacers compared to Cousins who reportedly plans on signing an extension. It could change later, but right now the George's future is up in the air.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

I mean.. couldn't I just create another account afterwards?

No, you'd be monitored like the the Russians on the eastern seaboard...

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:05:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

George is not committed to staying long term with the Pacers compared to Cousins who reportedly plans on signing an extension. It could change later, but right now the George's future is up in the air.

Thanks for the update.

Might I suggest a new handle?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Thanks for the update.

Might I suggest a new handle?

???

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 09:07:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No chance in hell Larry trades George to Danny.