Author Topic: George noncommital on Pacers extension; wants to play for "winning" team  (Read 11105 times)

Re: George noncommital on Pacers extension; wants to play for "winning" team
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
Here's the thing that concerns me...we keep the '17 BKN pick, have the best odds at #1, but somehow end up dropping to 3rd or 4th in the draft.  AKA we get Tim Duncan'd all over again.  As much as I'd like Fultz or Ball, I would pull the trigger on a deal for a guaranteed stud like Butler or George.  There are no guarantees in the draft process...

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'd like Paul but I wouldn't give up the Brooklyn picks for him.  And if he's refusing to play a position - that's a big red flag to me.  I didn't like to hear that about Al either (allegedly Al wouldn't play C for the Hawks).  I want players that will play waterboy if that's what Brad wants.

Horford played C for the Hawks for his entire career.  I think you mean that he said he'd prefer to play PF (which Brad has let him do), but saying that he wouldn't play C in Atlanta is just wrong

Having a guy that the coach won't play at another position because the player won't allow it is a red flag that I don't think I've ever seen before (even KG played C when asked even though he preferred PF)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd like Paul but I wouldn't give up the Brooklyn picks for him.  And if he's refusing to play a position - that's a big red flag to me.  I didn't like to hear that about Al either (allegedly Al wouldn't play C for the Hawks).  I want players that will play waterboy if that's what Brad wants.

Al has never wanted to play at center and yet has done it for the majority of his career.

I think the accusation about George is that he flat out refuses to play the 4. Not sure the whole story behind that, but that's the insinuation.

I have no problem with a player preferring one position to another. I do have a problem when a player refuses to do what's best for the team. Again, there may be more to that story when it comes to Paul George.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I would love Paul George here, but with Al having a preference to play PF, I guess we would be asking a lot of Crowder or Smart to start at C  :P

In all seriousness, though, winning heals all wounds and a frontcourt pairing of Horford/George would likely  push us to the mid-60s in wins.

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:32:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If George opts out this summer, what's the biggest contract he could get without re-signing with the Pacers. Does anyone know?

His option is for 2018-2019, not this summer.

salt, would it be feasible to max George at that point, assuming that IT is signed at the max and one (two would be amazing) of AB/Crowder/Smart can be reasonably paid?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Here's the thing that concerns me...we keep the '17 BKN pick, have the best odds at #1, but somehow end up dropping to 3rd or 4th in the draft.  AKA we get Tim Duncan'd all over again.  As much as I'd like Fultz or Ball, I would pull the trigger on a deal for a guaranteed stud like Butler or George.  There are no guarantees in the draft process...
If you are worried about giving up the number one pick for George, why not wait to see where the pick lands before dealing it.

Obviously the top pick has more value in a trade, but we should have enough assets to make a trade for George or Butler with the 3rd or 4th pick. I think a Butler or George trade becomes much more likely on draft night or in free agency.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 04:51:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's hoping Indy pulls a Utah/D.Will and cuts bait early.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:03:31 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Never really heard about the not playing PF story. Isn't he really a SG/SF though? I get that he is 6'9" but that doesn't mean he can play PF against most teams. Might be more to the story there behind the scenes.

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Never really heard about the not playing PF story. Isn't he really a SG/SF though? I get that he is 6'9" but that doesn't mean he can play PF against most teams. Might be more to the story there behind the scenes.

Yeah - here's the story:

Players don't want to play a position up. It's hard and exacts a physical toll. Lebron didn't want to play the 4 (and, by the way, still doesn't, mostly) and he is certainly capable of it. Would be a nightmare. He's almost the same exact size as peak Karl Malone.

KG didn't want to play the 5. Why? Centers are bigger, stronger and harder to guard in the post / out-rebound than 4s (typically).

Carmelo doesn't want to play the 4. See James, Lebron.

This is nothing new and is not a red flag. He's a small forward and has carved out a tremendous role in that position. Of course he doesn't want to play a different position.

Plus, winning changes everything. Brad is a phenomenal coach. Paul George is not a starting 4, but will cover the 4 in spots and stretches. Would give flexibility against lineups that require a small 4.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If George opts out this summer, what's the biggest contract he could get without re-signing with the Pacers. Does anyone know?

salt, would it be feasible to max George at that point, assuming that IT is signed at the max and one (two would be amazing) of AB/Crowder/Smart can be reasonably paid?

It really depends what gets sent away for him.  Crowder is under contract for a few years yet, whereas Bradley and Smart aren't.  But I don't think you can have IT, George, and Horford all maxed in 2018 and keep both Smart and Bradley.  Could be difficult to do with even one.  Crowder and one of them should be possible, assuming we're also sending out 2017 Brooklyn.  There'd still be a sizable luxury tax bill, and Olynyk needs to be gone in such a situation as well.  I'd think the team would be about $15 million over the luxury tax with the following roster:

IT
George
Horford
Smart/AB
Crowder
Brown
2018 Brooklyn
Rozier
Yabusele
Zizic
2018 Celtics
Minimum salary the last four slots.

That's a luxury tax bill that approaches $30 million on top of about a $140 million payroll.  Tough to see the team going much higher than that.  I know people are willing to trade Crowder, but he's borderline unreplaceable from a salary perspective.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:30:33 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Yeah - here's the story:

Players don't want to play a position up. It's hard and exacts a physical toll. Lebron didn't want to play the 4 (and, by the way, still doesn't, mostly) and he is certainly capable of it. Would be a nightmare. He's almost the same exact size as peak Karl Malone.

KG didn't want to play the 5. Why? Centers are bigger, stronger and harder to guard in the post / out-rebound than 4s (typically).

Carmelo doesn't want to play the 4. See James, Lebron.

This is nothing new and is not a red flag. He's a small forward and has carved out a tremendous role in that position. Of course he doesn't want to play a different position.

Plus, winning changes everything. Brad is a phenomenal coach. Paul George is not a starting 4, but will cover the 4 in spots and stretches. Would give flexibility against lineups that require a small 4.

Nobody is disputing that players don't want to play up a position, or criticizing Paul George for not wanting to play up a position.  The issue is that he will not play up a position, which is not something that any of the players you mentioned did (they may not have liked it, but they did it), and is absolutely a red flag
I'm bitter.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

It really depends what gets sent away for him.  Crowder is under contract for a few years yet, whereas Bradley and Smart aren't.  But I don't think you can have IT, George, and Horford all maxed in 2018 and keep both Smart and Bradley.  Could be difficult to do with even one.  Crowder and one of them should be possible, assuming we're also sending out 2017 Brooklyn.  There'd still be a sizable luxury tax bill, and Olynyk needs to be gone in such a situation as well.  I'd think the team would be about $15 million over the luxury tax with the following roster:

IT
George
Horford
Smart/AB
Crowder
Brown
2018 Brooklyn
Rozier
Yabusele
Zizic
2018 Celtics

That's a luxury tax bill that approaches $30 million on top of about a $140 million payroll.  Tough to see the team going much higher than that.  I know people are willing to trade Crowder, but he's borderline unreplaceable from a salary perspective.

Not gonna lie, I actually LOVE that potential lineup.

I think Smart will stay, Bradley will be the "odd man out".

I kind of hope with the minimum slots at least one of Jerebko/Green stay but doubt it.

I see those guys as "high energy guys" in playoff games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 05:37:03 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
George is a SG/SF. I'd be intrigued by a line up of Thomas/George/Crowder/Horford/Olynyk(or Johnson).

I wonder if Bird would bite on Bradley, Zeller, Rozier, Mickey, the rights to Nader, BKN 2017, BOS 2019, MEM 2019 and what ever seconds. Still Keep Smart, Brown, BKN 2018.

Thomas/Smart/Jackson
George/Green/Young
Crowder/Brown
Horford/Jerbko/(Yabusele)
Johnson/Olynyk/(Zizic)

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

IT
George
Horford
Smart/AB
Crowder
Brown
2018 Brooklyn
Rozier
Yabusele
Zizic
2018 Celtics

Not gonna lie, I actually LOVE that potential lineup.

I think Smart will stay, Bradley will be the "odd man out".

I kind of hope with the minimum slots at least one of Jerebko/Green stay but doubt it.

I see those guys as "high energy guys" in playoff games.

I'm in favor of keeping Smart to Bradley as well (nothing against AB, whom I really like).  I'd just rather keep the restricted free agent to the unrestricted one, because if we trade Smart and then AB decides to leave, there's no way to replace him.

I don't know who you'll get for the minimum.  One of them could be our second-rounder from Minny this year.  Hopefully that team is otherwise good enough to lure quality ring chasers, because the bench looks really young -- entirely made up of guys on their rookie deals.

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The one thing that could get Larry to trade George to the Celtics. If that's the case, it could happen. But it will cost Ainge a Nets pick. Probably 17.