Author Topic: George noncommital on Pacers extension; wants to play for "winning" team  (Read 11087 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18705368/paul-george-noncommittal-signing-contract-extension-indiana-pacers

Definitely some interesting comments here. George clearly isn't happy in Indiana with how things are going right now, and though he said he'd love to lead the Pacers to a championship, he wouldn't commit to extending long term to the Pacers because he wants to play on a team with a chance to win it all.

I just don't see how Bird can make that happen right now for George in Indy. He might very well become available at the draft this summer, if not sooner.

Re: George noncommital on Pacers extension; wants to play for "winning" team
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18705368/paul-george-noncommittal-signing-contract-extension-indiana-pacers

Definitely some interesting comments here. George clearly isn't happy in Indiana with how things are going right now, and though he said he'd love to lead the Pacers to a championship, he wouldn't commit to extending long term to the Pacers because he wants to play on a team with a chance to win it all.

I just don't see how Bird can make that happen right now for George in Indy. He might very well become available at the draft this summer, if not sooner.

yes....yes.....yes...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:31:25 PM by heyvik »

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Boy, George would be good :)

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
he could really change the culture of our club!
yay!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 03:31:26 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Boy, George would be good :)

quote author=cons link=topic=89293.msg2248246#msg2248246 date=1487362780]
yay!
[/quote]

TP...very clever.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
yay!

This team has a winning culture he wouldn't change that.

What he would do is allow this team to beat the Cavs. If DA can come out of a PG trade without out having to give up IT, AL (neither likely coveted by bird), Smart or Jae then the Cavs have a legit challenger. Not that I want to see Jaylen or AB go but I think Smart and Jae are more valuable in building around the PG.

Offer AB, Jaylen, Zeller, 2017 Nets 1st, 2018 Celtics 1st and rights to Yabu
           for
Paul George

resign Kelly
sign Zizic
resign Amir to team friendly 1+1 deal

2017-2018 Celtics

PG IT
SG Smart
SF George
PF Horford
C  Amir (low minutes starter)
6th Jae
7th KO
8th Rozier
9th Zizic
10th Jackson

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Saw this posted on realgm

Sounds like George is unwilling to play PF and putting himself in front of the team

The Pacers, who enter the All-Star break on a six-game losing streak, are missing their top two power forwards: Thaddeus Young and Lavoy Allen. Because of that, they’re playing two guys — Kevin Seraphin starting, C.J. Miles off the bench — ill-equipped for the position. Seraphin is big enough, but too slow. Miles is quick enough, but too small.

Meanwhile, Paul George is just right. He’s not merely a potential power forward — he’s the prototype in today’s smaller, sleeker NBA that demands a combination of size, skill and speed from that slot. Paul George has all three.

But he won’t play the four.

George refused to do it last season, complicating Larry Bird’s offseason remake of what had been one of the league’s bigger, slower lineups. And McMillan indicated before Thursday’s game that George has declined to do it this season even now, with the Pacers missing two power forwards. This is what McMillan told me when I asked him Thursday: Any thought, on an emergency basis, of putting Paul at the four?

“We’ve tried that, but Paul is …” McMillan said, then paused, unsure how to finish that sentence. Paul is … what?

McMillan tried again.

“Um, we’ve tried that some — but no,” he said. “I wish it was that easy, and it really should be, but it’s not.”

It really should be that easy? Man, that’s as close as you’ve ever heard any of George’s bosses — McMillan, Bird, former coach Frank Vogel — say what’s on everyone’s mind:

Paul George is putting himself ahead of the team.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
yay!

This team has a winning culture he wouldn't change that.

What he would do is allow this team to beat the Cavs. If DA can come out of a PG trade without out having to give up IT, AL (neither likely coveted by bird), Smart or Jae then the Cavs have a legit challenger. Not that I want to see Jaylen or AB go but I think Smart and Jae are more valuable in building around the PG.

Offer AB, Jaylen, Zeller, 2017 Nets 1st, 2018 Celtics 1st and rights to Yabu
           for
Paul George

resign Kelly
sign Zizic
resign Amir to team friendly 1+1 deal

2017-2018 Celtics

PG IT
SG Smart
SF George
PF Horford
C  Amir (low minutes starter)
6th Jae
7th KO
8th Rozier
9th Zizic
10th Jackson

I almost got caught, and I would have responded with your exact same first sentence.

Read cons two posts together....and a TP for your trouble!

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 03:37:48 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Pressure is definitely on Larry to put together a 2-seed talent of a team
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

Sounds like George is unwilling to play PF and putting himself in front of the team

The Pacers, who enter the All-Star break on a six-game losing streak, are missing their top two power forwards: Thaddeus Young and Lavoy Allen. Because of that, they’re playing two guys — Kevin Seraphin starting, C.J. Miles off the bench — ill-equipped for the position. Seraphin is big enough, but too slow. Miles is quick enough, but too small.

Meanwhile, Paul George is just right. He’s not merely a potential power forward — he’s the prototype in today’s smaller, sleeker NBA that demands a combination of size, skill and speed from that slot. Paul George has all three.

George refused to do it last season, complicating Larry Bird’s offseason remake of what had been one of the league’s bigger, slower lineups. And McMillan indicated before Thursday’s game that George has declined to do it this season even now, with the Pacers missing two power forwards. This is what McMillan told me when I asked him Thursday: Any thought, on an emergency basis, of putting Paul at the four?

“We’ve tried that, but Paul is …” McMillan said, then paused, unsure how to finish that sentence. Paul is … what?

McMillan tried again.

“Um, we’ve tried that some — but no,” he said. “I wish it was that easy, and it really should be, but it’s not.”

It really should be that easy? Man, that’s as close as you’ve ever heard any of George’s bosses — McMillan, Bird, former coach Frank Vogel — say what’s on everyone’s mind:

yes....yes.....yes...
Officially changing my view on George. He'd be a killer PF for us next to Al Horford - BUT if he's unwilling to play the PF in small ball situations then no thanks....unless of course he doesn't want to do it because he's in Indiana..

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

McMillan tried again.

yes....yes.....yes...
Officially changing my view on George. He'd be a killer PF for us next to Al Horford - BUT if he's unwilling to play the PF in small ball situations then no thanks....unless of course he doesn't want to do it because he's in Indiana..

Nate McMillan is a bad coach.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 03:49:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
yay!

If Bird asks for too much...

Ainge: "Larry, do you really want to hurt me?  Do you really want to make me cry?"

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
If George opts out this summer, what's the biggest contract he could get without re-signing with the Pacers. Does anyone know?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If George opts out this summer, what's the biggest contract he could get without re-signing with the Pacers. Does anyone know?

His option is for 2018-2019, not this summer.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 04:07:57 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd like Paul but I wouldn't give up the Brooklyn picks for him.  And if he's refusing to play a position - that's a big red flag to me.  I didn't like to hear that about Al either (allegedly Al wouldn't play C for the Hawks).  I want players that will play waterboy if that's what Brad wants.