Author Topic: tough guy james young  (Read 5049 times)

Re: tough guy james young
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 06:40:22 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
gotta get better playing one on one or two on two with smart rozier and green

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 06:49:35 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Thanks God Danny locked him up on a team friendly deal for a few years. It would be ridiculous if we had decided to keep James on the roster with zero control on him at the end of the year - and then he starts playing well, turning the corner and bolts Boston. That would be like one of the most assinine GM moves you could make. Keep the guy on the roster with no control over him if he starts playing better.

Obviously, heavy sarcasm here bit can someone explain why we would keep him on the roster without controlling him via contract? In today's Cap world, couldn't we have locked him up as a 14th man developmental guy for something like $2 mil a year, team option next year.   

If he blows up a bit and we lose him in free agency and he blossoms - complete idiot move by Ainge. And the thing is you could see the tools and skill with Young and it was curious "why" he wasn't getting it yet. Time...   

He almost got cut in November.  Why would Danny pick up the 4th year option of a guy that he was considering cutting before his 3rd year? That would be a meaningless burden on our future cap.  And honestly, even though James Young is now showing signs that he might actually be an NBA caliber player, it's not a huge loss if he leaves us.  This isn't a star we're talking about, it's a guy that has looked okay in short minutes

As for signing him in November, to a different contract, that wasn't an option.  He was under contract for this season already, you can't cut a guy and then sign him to another contract right after.  Your hypothetical is impossible.

And as for calling Danny an idiot for not picking up his 4th year option and implying that it was obvious that it was a bad move, would you care to share any proof (from around when Danny declined Young's option) saying that you thought it was a bad move?

I think the thought process / strategy here was to let him rot on the bench this whole year enough for nobody else to be interested to spend any money on him so we could keep him at his low cost number for next year and start giving him an opportunity to showcase his worth...

Unfortunately, injuries forced us to unveil him and now team will now he is a good player / rotation guy in this league that deserves minutes...

Unless he has an injury or something (which I cant wish for anybody ever) people will come knock at his door this summer and offer him a bigger deal than we can... Unfortunately!! Just hope it wont be the Nets... The kid is going to be a very good, reliable player in this league!

I don't think any team will pay more than 4 or 5 million for a couple good regular season games.  I think the Celtics have all the leverage this summer and will give him a team friend deal before he starts to really get good with longer terms than most.  In a similar fashion, Ainge did that with Crowder (though he was restricted). 

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Danny will pay him if he can at least beat Gerald Green in the rotation.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 07:11:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Our best case scenario is some team desperate for wing depth was paying attention the last couple of games and will take a flyer on him so Ainge can turn him into a little something, instead of the nothing he'll otherwise be this summer.

Or at least maybe he'll have a little value as a trade sweetener.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:56 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
Danny will pay him if he can at least beat Gerald Green in the rotation.

If he beats Gerald Green out I'm all aboard the Young wagon. 

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
The last few games for young have been so important for the Celtics.  Bradley has shown he needs solid back-ups because he can't stay out on the court all season or playoffs.  Enter Young and Brown, their play will determine if the team can weather Bradley's future absences.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The last few games for young have been so important for the Celtics.  Bradley has shown he needs solid back-ups because he can't stay out on the court all season or playoffs.  Enter Young and Brown, their play will determine if the team can weather Bradley's future absences.

I thought Young was very lucky to still be a Celtic at the start of the season. With AB and Brown returning after the All Star game and assuming IT doesn't get injured in that game, it will be interesting to see what a full strength Celtics team can do. With Young adding points off the bench and the team having so many players in form it is possible the Celtics could win games a little bit more comfortably.

If all those pieces come together I am less concerned about DA adding a big name player before the window closes. I want to see the team improved and their chances with that. I also think that GSW may be a bridge too far for the Celtics this season and Danny can better use assets to add better quality at the seasons end.

This team does keep doing things nobody really predicted though. A rebounding big and maybe they get over the Cavs and into the finals where anything can happen.

Back to James Young, another positive to add to the mix and good on DA and CBS for having faith. Even if the improved JY only becomes a more valuable trade asset for the big DA might want to get.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 01:14:52 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Thanks for the reminder and I do recall those comments by Ainge/Stevens back in November.

The reason I call it an idiot GM move is because I can see absolutely no value in keeping a guy on the roster, and wasting resources, time and a roster spot if you are A) ultimately unable to control him come the off season and B) He could consequently start progressing and then walk on you.

It just makes no sense. Yes, the option on a 4th year rookie contract for a guy who hadn't proven much yet, but certainly had an outside shot at making a breakthrough. 6' 7", long, tough, soft on D but clearly had potential. In today's NBA CAP, could you not afford that contract for your 13th guy, see what happens?

And if not, jettison him, and bring Nader up, develop him - at least you can control him at season's end. This move to me was in line with not using our 31st to draft and stash Zubac. Just head scratchers for me.

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 02:00:51 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Thanks for the reminder and I do recall those comments by Ainge/Stevens back in November.

The reason I call it an idiot GM move is because I can see absolutely no value in keeping a guy on the roster, and wasting resources, time and a roster spot if you are A) ultimately unable to control him come the off season and B) He could consequently start progressing and then walk on you.

It just makes no sense. Yes, the option on a 4th year rookie contract for a guy who hadn't proven much yet, but certainly had an outside shot at making a breakthrough. 6' 7", long, tough, soft on D but clearly had potential. In today's NBA CAP, could you not afford that contract for your 13th guy, see what happens?

And if not, jettison him, and bring Nader up, develop him - at least you can control him at season's end. This move to me was in line with not using our 31st to draft and stash Zubac. Just head scratchers for me.
you definitely have a case, but I think Ainge knew that theyd be right up against the cap in terms of offering a max contract this offseason. James Youngs couple hundred thousand wed be on the hook for might actually make a difference.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.