Author Topic: My against the grain trade (idea)  (Read 1727 times)

My against the grain trade (idea)
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Let me start this by stating that a number of factors come into play that DA is aware of and as fans we are not. This deal only makes sense if the following is true.

1. No Major FA acquisition is plausible. DA should have a feel for who is really a viable canidte to sign.

2. No other major in season trades are possible. IE Paul George, Cousins or a player who vaults Cs over the Cavs are not available.

Trade

I propose moving AB and Zeller in a package for Gallinari. Given that the Nuggets already have Harris and Murray a third team will be needed to facilitate the deal as AB would be redundant. Maybe the Pistons, Grizz or T-Wolves?

I havent spent the time to figure out the 3rd team but I would suspect AB and denver assets would allow them to upgrade their roster.

maybe

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hm8lzr6

Celtics:

Adding Gallinari seems to spit in the face of the Cs current rim protection/D rebounding issues. However his addition create an even more dynamic offense and give the Cs a true go to second option behind IT.

I envision the following minute break down

PG   IT 35  Smart 13
SG  Brown 16 Smart 17 Green 14
SF Jae 32 Brown 5 Galli 11
PF Al 15 Galli 18 KO 15
C  Amir 14 Al 19 KO 15

IT 35mpg
Smart 30mpg
Brown 21mpg
Green 14mpg
Crowder 32mpg
Gallinari 29mpg
KO 30mpg
Al 34mpg
Amir 14mpg

With this rotation the Cs start Brown and Amir. Gallinari basically takes over Jerebko's role and this role is expanded. I think a second unit featuring Smart, Gallinari and KO will be really tough for teams to match up with. Rather then focus on fighting bigs like Vallanciunes the Cs can effectively make him a disadvantage on the court. The roster space that is opened in the trade can still be used to add a buyout big, Larry sanders, or worst case Perkins is looking to get back in the league.

Looking to next season Zizic can be brought over and hopefully takes over Amirs role as a rookie. If the Nets picks brings Fultz or Ball onto the roster he would take Green's minutes and some time from IT. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: My against the grain trade (idea)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »

Offline revtodd64

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Essentially Boston gives up a great perimeter defender for a $15 million backup small forward, who will take minutes from KO and Brown.  I would rather keep AB, especially as KO is shooting well again, and Brown is developing.  If we are going to trade AB, I would like to see him part of a package that truly moves the Celtics to a much better team.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I stopped reading here:

1. No Major FA acquisition is plausible. DA should have a feel for who is really a viable canidte to sign

I still think we have a good chance to get Hayward/Griffin/Millsap, especially the one whose team gets buried in the first round. Players now that here have a good opportunity to succeed for some years and Brad Stevens is another appealing asset.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I stopped reading here:

1. No Major FA acquisition is plausible. DA should have a feel for who is really a viable candidate to sign

I still think we have a good chance to get Hayward/Griffin/Millsap, especially the one whose team gets buried in the first round. Players now that here have a good opportunity to succeed for some years and Brad Stevens is another appealing asset.

I agree with you and that's why I prefaced my trade idea. If DA feels he can sign a free agent who improves this roster more then any player they may trade for + KO ( will not be able to resign with max FA) then this needs to be the plan. Plans A and B in no particular order has to be acquiring a star. If this isn't going to happen my trade is a viable plan C. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
If we're gonna throw in the towel for FA acquisition this summer, I'd rather Danny traded for Noel.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
If we're gonna throw in the towel for FA acquisition this summer, I'd rather Danny traded for Noel.

I am becoming less convinced that BS wants an big who lacks offense skill in the rotation. Even Amir is capable of hitting an outside shot (with 10 secs) and hitting cutter from the high post.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
We need to do something to satisfy our rebounding deficiency.  When you have Crowder  and Horford combine for 5 rebounds (no offensive) in 60 minutes, and you want to add another non-rebounder in Gallinari, that's a problem.   You have Gallinari playing some PF minutes and he's a worse rebounder than Crowder.  The Bulls out rebounded us by 20 last night, that needs to be addressed. 

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
How does this make us better?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Danilo+Gallinari&player_id1_select=Danilo+Gallinari&y1=2017&player_id1=gallida01&hint=Avery+Bradley&player_id2_select=Avery+Bradley&y2=2017&player_id2=bradlav01

We get older, lose financial flexibility (assuming we resign Gallo), and get worse in terms of offense, defense and rebounding.

I would argue that the Cs would get better on offense. AB is a really good player who I have been defending since he was trying to play PG early in his career. He has the perfect high end role player game. Where AB is limited is creating offense. IT is currently the only player the Cs have who can really create his own shot or shots for others. Without IT the Cs next best option is posting Smart and trying to force teams to help, freeing up a shooter. Last season Evan Turner was the 2nd shot creator and was a very important part of this team. That role has never really been filled. Gallinari would be able to fill this role for the Celtics.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet