Author Topic: Ainge KNEW About Isaiah Thomas!  (Read 2828 times)

Ainge KNEW About Isaiah Thomas!
« on: February 18, 2017, 11:48:13 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/isaiah-thomas-celtics-boston-letter/

So you all have read this Players Tribune post by IT about the city of Boston (such a good read), but in it, you found out what Ainge said to IT and how much belief he had in him...

I passed my physical that night, and while the Celtics were in Sacramento playing the Kings, I watched the game with Danny Ainge in his office — just me and the GM. We talked about the team, about the trade, about me. And he said something to me I couldn’t believe.

“Isaiah … the way you play the game of basketball, you could be a Celtics legend.”

A Celtics legend? I thought he was crazy — like he was just caught up in the excitement and hype of making a big trade.

NOW, here we are about 2 years later, and IT is averaging 30 PPG, has got this team well positioned as a Top-3 team in the East, and two nights ago passed the LEGENDARY John Havlicek for most consecutive games scoring 20+ (in 41 games).

..But maybe this wasn't a surprise. Maybe because Ainge knew he had something special with IT all along  :D 8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Ainge KNEW About Isaiah Thomas!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
If Ainge knew Thomas would blossom into the player he is now wouldn't he have just signed him in the 2014 offseason? Ecspecially considering the price wasn't exactly steep (think he ended up signing a 4 year/$26m deal)

Danny got lucky.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Ainge knew Thomas would blossom into the player he is now wouldn't he have just signed him in the 2014 offseason? Ecspecially considering the price wasn't exactly steep (think he ended up signing a 4 year/$26m deal)

He tried. He was Danny's #1 target.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/boston_celtics_free_agency_rum_7.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I also Knew about Thomas. When it was cool everyday to start a new trade Rondo thread.

Thomas was the only realistic option I actually would have pulled the trigger for.
 Would have been sweet to see IT with Allen, Pierce and KG.

Thomas, Maclemore and a first for Rondo was the proposal I would have done.

It's cool though we ended up with him anyway thanks to my cosmic energy directing Ainge to the right path. Your welcome. :police:

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

I also Knew about Thomas. When it was cool everyday to start a new trade Rondo thread.

Thomas was the only realistic option I actually would have pulled the trigger for.

It's cool though we ended up with him anyway thanks to my cosmic energy directing Ainge to the right path. Your welcome. :police:
yea stop lying big fella

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm sure he knew about a lot of players and they didn't all work out.

Still Danny is scary good at his job.

To think that he's been so successful  in rebuilding the Celtics twice.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

He tried. He was Danny's #1 target.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/boston_celtics_free_agency_rum_7.html

He should have been able to work out a sign-and-trade with Sacramento for Bogans non-guaranteed deal and a second if IT were truly a top target, since IT wound up being traded for less than that.  Although perhaps IT didn't want to come to Boston at that point.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don't believe the premise of the OP. Iirc, DA has said that he thought IT would be a super sub for them. A sparkplug off the bench. But I don't think DA thought IT could be this good.

I mean, "Celtics legend" is a pretty vague term. For example, C's have had strong history with 6th men. Perhaps that's what DA meant at the time.
- LilRip

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 01:51:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't believe the premise of the OP. Iirc, DA has said that he thought IT would be a super sub for them. A sparkplug off the bench. But I don't think DA thought IT could be this good.

I mean, "Celtics legend" is a pretty vague term. For example, C's have had strong history with 6th men. Perhaps that's what DA meant at the time.

Yeah I mean I'm not at all coming out and saying IT is the next Larry Bird or Bill Russell, but by "Celtics Legend" I also meant as in he would break records, and so far he has done that. Obviously a ton still exist though lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

yea stop lying big fella

No seriously Ill find the  old trade threads if you don't believe KGLL. I never tell a lie.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

yea stop lying big fella

No seriously Ill find the  old trade threads if you don't believe KGLL. I never tell a lie.
screenshot those and send them to ainge, you can help him scout

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Ainge could have drafted him, and didn't