Author Topic: Chicago tribune: price for Butler has gone up, Danny unwilling to trade brk 17  (Read 6070 times)

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Screw Butler. All Ainge has to do right now is get a rebounder. Butler wouldn't even solve that.
A number of guys out there right now who can be had for cheap. But he may have to end his love affair with Rozier and that bevy of mid level first rounders.

Some guys being mentioned on the tweets right now: Bogut, O'Quinn, Gibson, Noel.

I like Bogut and O'Quinn. The latter is a big tough 4 who can rebound--stuck behind Porzingis.

Do it now, Danny.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
FAKE NEWS
Every time I see a report about the Celtics internal, front office deliberations that comes from "league sources" I pretty much think the same thing. When was the last time we saw a Danny Ainge trade coming more than a day in advance?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Screw Butler. All Ainge has to do right now is get a rebounder. Butler wouldn't even solve that.
A number of guys out there right now who can be had for cheap. But he may have to end his love affair with Rozier and that bevy of mid level first rounders.

Some guys being mentioned on the tweets right now: Bogut, O'Quinn, Gibson, Noel.

I like Bogut and O'Quinn. The latter is a big tough 4 who can rebound--stuck behind Porzingis.

Do it now, Danny.

Could be wrong, but O'Quinn is under contract so that hampers their ability to sign a potential max FA this summer.

That may affect how Ainge approaches the deadline.

Bogut could be had. *Maybe* Caulie-Stein (but doubt it). So likely Bogut or nothing.

Ainge has said he won't make a small "bandaid" trade or short term one though so idk.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
FAKE NEWS
Every time I see a report about the Celtics internal, front office deliberations that comes from "league sources" I pretty much think the same thing. When was the last time we saw a Danny Ainge trade coming more than a day in advance?

Danny reminds me of somebody shopping in the old Filene's Basement. He's keeping a eye on the dated merchandise, waiting for when the price drops.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

Do it now, Danny.

Could be wrong, but O'Quinn is under contract so that hampers their ability to sign a potential max FA this summer.

Bogut could be had. *Maybe* Caulie-Stein (but doubt it). So likely Bogut or nothing.

Ainge has said he won't make a small "bandaid" trade or short term one though so idk.

O'Quinn is a keeper. Better than any big they have right now after Horford. He's cheap.
Bogut is a gamble--old and fragile. Gibson might be OK, but maybe NA. Noel is more expensive than Okafor, and they are almost obligated to sign him next year, being a local guy. I think he would fit nicely as a complement to Horford. I don't know if Rozier plus non nets picks would be enough to get him. I wouldn't give up Bradley for Noel.

I don't know what he's talking about re bandaid. A rebounder is no bandaid. It's an essential.
Get the stars out of your eyes, Danny. Your team isn't whole yet.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
FAKE NEWS

Danny reminds me of somebody shopping in the old Filene's Basement. He's keeping a eye on the dated merchandise, waiting for when the price drops.
TP because I agree with this and for the mental image of Danny shuffling through a dusty filene's, looking at all the merch while the cashiers whisper about whether or not he's ever going to buy anything.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Paul George's recent comments will certainly lower the price if they want anything we have.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Do it now, Danny.

O'Quinn is a keeper. Better than any big they have right now after Horford. He's cheap.
Bogut is a gamble--old and fragile. Gibson might be OK, but maybe NA. Noel is more expensive than Okafor, and they are almost obligated to sign him next year, being a local guy. I think he would fit nicely as a complement to Horford. I don't know if Rozier plus non nets picks would be enough to get him. I wouldn't give up Bradley for Noel.

I don't know what he's talking about re bandaid. A rebounder is no bandaid. It's an essential.
Get the stars out of your eyes, Danny. Your team isn't whole yet.
The team still isn't whole if you add a rebounder. But then you massively impair your ability to add a star. Particularly if you add Noel. He isn't coming at a rental price and in the summer teams will offer him $20m+ which would ruin our cap situation.

Bogut I could see if it cost next to nothing. I could see a value move for a down player like Okafor if it didn't affect our cap space this summer. Otherwise its a star or no move, no in betweens

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Bogut for this year. Make ECF. Ball and Fultz are awesome Have you seen them play? Jaylen Brown will be better than Butler. People forget that AB is playing great O. I would rather get Gibson than Butler.  Give a pick to the Nets for Booker Cltppers pick or 3 seconds this year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell

Do it now, Danny.

O'Quinn has 3 years left on his contract at $4M per year. His contract is a plus. That should not hamper the cap space. This guy can be a valuable role player on a good team.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Do it now, Danny.

O'Quinn has 3 years left on his contract at $4M per year. His contract is a plus. That should not hamper the cap space. This guy can be a valuable role player on a good team.

Oh because yeah I obviously love him at that price (who wouldn't), but I think I heard somewhere that adding O'Quinn would mean making some moves to even have enough cap space for a potential max contract (as in, KO is definitely gone, and obviously the other expirings). Maybe someone can confirm?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller