Author Topic: How high of a pick could Bradley fetch us?  (Read 6260 times)

Re: How high of a pick could Bradley fetch us?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
definitely higher than the 20th pick Thad Young fetched last draft... AB's a better player than Thad by some measures.

But the quality of this draft is also a parameter you should take into account.

It's difficult to measure it, but I think he would be around 18-20th pick. Despite his defense, shooting and bbIQ, Bradley is often injured and will need to be paid in 2018.
If Bradley were coming out in this draft and it was known ahead of time he would be guaranteed to become as good as he is he would be a top 3 to 5 pick. Getting a guaranteed two way player out of a draft that can be an All-Defense first teamer and shoot 40% from three while giving you an efficient 17-18 PPG and 6 RPG is something GMs dream about getting when they draft a player.

You are right. However, even GMs can't see the future.

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
definitely higher than the 20th pick Thad Young fetched last draft... AB's a better player than Thad by some measures.

It's difficult to measure it, but I think he would be around 18-20th pick. Despite his defense, shooting and bbIQ, Bradley is often injured and will need to be paid in 2018.
If Bradley were coming out in this draft and it was known ahead of time he would be guaranteed to become as good as he is he would be a top 3 to 5 pick. Getting a guaranteed two way player out of a draft that can be an All-Defense first teamer and shoot 40% from three while giving you an efficient 17-18 PPG and 6 RPG is something GMs dream about getting when they draft a player.

You don't need to see the future with him, he has already achieved these things, which was his point.  GM's can see what he has done.

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.

Right on and TP.

2010 Draft Redone (in my mind)

Top 3 picks, all worth a #1 pick now imo: DeMarcus Cousins / John Wall/ Paul George
4. Gordon Hayward (clear step above Avery but not worth trading a number 1 pick for)
5. Bradley/Favors/Bledsoe/Monroe (similar value?)

In hindsight, if a GM had a crystal Ball in 2010 he would of picked Bradley up at around the top 5-10 picks. That's as a prospect, he's clearly now an above average NBA starter. This draft class is deep but outside the top 8 picks there isn't a guy that projects to be more than that.

Bradley should be able to fetch a pick in the 10 - 15 range hands down.

I'd rather keep him though, at least one more year. Then see what needs to be done in order to retain our starting backcourt, it really is one of the best in the league. If we have to pick a guard in this draft, he better have superstar potential.

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2017, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Saric idea is an interesting one. The ideal scenario this summer would be signing a max FA like Hayward, making a #1-2 pick, keeping KO, and obtaining a very good and productive asset for AB (rather than salary dump) with several years of rookie contract left.

It has long been assumed that KO could not be kept if we signed a max FA. Getting Saric for AB gets us pretty close since his salary is so low.

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:48 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum

You don't need to see the future with him, he has already achieved these things, which was his point.  GM's can see what he has done.

Of course, but nobody can know if the one you are choosing will be much better than Bradley or much worse. So you are missing data.

We shouldn't forget that Bradley has had many injuries (last year he was missed in the playoffs) and he's been five years just a rotation into his development after he was 25.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Of course, but nobody can know if the one you are choosing will be much better than Bradley or much worse. So you are missing data.

We shouldn't forget that Bradley has had many injuries (last year he was missed in the playoffs) and he's been five years just a rotation into his development after he was 25.
Its you who are missing the point. GMs wouldn't value Bradley as only an 18th-20th pick because they do know what he is. His known value is much more valuable than most players coming out in this draft because most players coming out in this draft have a developmental ceiling that is most likely lower than the caliber of player that Bradley already is. Therefore Bradley is worth more than a puck in the range you are discussing.

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum

Its you who are missing the point. GMs wouldn't value Bradley as only an 18th-20th pick because they do know what he is. His known value is much more valuable than most players coming out in this draft because most players coming out in this draft have a developmental ceiling that is most likely lower than the caliber of player that Bradley already is. Therefore Bradley is worth more than a puck in the range you are discussing.

Well, I also think you are missing the point, so we're even. And, as it seems unlikely he'll be traded for a pick, we'll never know.

There are many things entering the discussion that you might not be aware of, like his tendency to get injured, the fact that you'll have to pay 20 million per in a year and his 6'2" height, a bit short for a pure SG (he has few PG skills) or that he seems to need 30+ minutes per game to be effective, which not many teams will offer him.

I don't think Bradley would give us a lottery pick this year in return, but if you do, it's your opinion and I respect your point. I'm just trying to give reasons for other GMs not to be so keen on Bradley. Having said that, I wouldn't trade him for the 12th pick, for example. Maybe on draft day I'd think about it.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2017, 07:57:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, I also think you are missing the point, so we're even. And, as it seems unlikely he'll be traded for a pick, we'll never know.

There are many things entering the discussion that you might not be aware of, like his tendency to get injured, the fact that you'll have to pay 20 million per in a year and his 6'2" height, a bit short for a pure SG (he has few PG skills) or that he seems to need 30+ minutes per game to be effective, which not many teams will offer him.

I don't think Bradley would give us a lottery pick this year in return, but if you do, it's your opinion and I respect your point. I'm just trying to give reasons for other GMs not to be so keen on Bradley. Having said that, I wouldn't trade him for the 12th pick, for example. Maybe on draft day I'd think about it.
I understand Bradley's shortcomings though I believe you are overemphasizing them. Bradley has been very healthy the previous two seasons. I doubt teams would think him injury prone. They most likely would just make sure his current injury isn't something that would be long term.

Bradley is signed through next year on one of the best value contracts in the league. Teams would cross the contract issue when it comes up and honestly, for what Bradley brings to the game $20 milliin a year is about right.

His height is well known as is his ability to overcome his deficiencies in height with his excellent length and tremendous quickness and bulldog tenacity. His height isn't going to be a factor in deciding whether to trade for him or not.

I think the whole "he needs 30+ minutes to be effectice" is ridiculous and a pathetic reach. When has Bradley ever shown that if he gets less than 30 minutes he isn't effective? I see nothing in Bradley's stats that back this assertion.

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
A lot of people have thrown around the "hes not going to improve anymore" line and while I agree, it is worth noting that I have held that opinion for like 3 years now and hes improved every year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2017, 08:30:32 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
So many people on Celticsblog bashed Bradley during his first few years as a Celtic.
And I think that the pendulum swings both ways, the  past few years.
Clearly, he is a huge asset to Boston.

Can Boston continue to keep all of its undersized guards?
What is the depth list when it actually comes to paying for their next contracts?

Obviously, Danny has a short and long term plan.
The overall goal is to build towards a prolonged run.
What this means is that the assets are going to be used for talent that will not be a one year  rental.  Who gets traded? That will depend upon the actual deal.
Smart, Bradley,  Rozier, Crowder, will likely be some of the bantha fodder.
Zeller, Amir- to match salary.
Jerebko, Young, Mickey as fillers.

Bradley could probably fetch a mid-range 1st round pick. Packaged with another player, perhaps 7-10.  Part of that is due to the perception of the upside of the players in the top 6 picks. The other part of it though is that he is due for a hefty raise and will be an Unrestricted Free Agent after the 2017-2018  season.

I think Avery Bradley is a rare commodity.  Tough, plays defense,  moves without the ball, can shoot the three.  If only he were 6'5.

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we deal him, I would rather have a known entity instead of a draft pick which is risky.  He was clearly our second best player  this year and I hope he can return to form.

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »

Offline gamehead36

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
Bradley for Saric is interesting.

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Philly wont be trading Saric. Especially not for bradley.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 12:06:41 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Philly wont be trading Saric. Especially not for bradley.
Im not so sure.

Bradley is a better player. A vet who has been through rebuild, contentions and faux-contention.

he is also a picture perfect fit with a point forward like Simmons. He can stretch the floor and pick up any point guard in the NBA.

Saric doest project to ever be as good as Bradley but his fit here is terrific and he is under long term team control.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 04:57:05 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
I think the whole "he needs 30+ minutes to be effectice" is ridiculous and a pathetic reach.

I love how you keep respect to other user's opinions.