Author Topic: Celtics (37-19) at Bulls (27-29) Game #57 2/16/17  (Read 44442 times)

Re: Celtics (37-19) at Bulls (27-29) Game #57 2/16/17
« Reply #315 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:02 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
IT and Smart had some choice words about that last call. IT was much more explicit with it being a "horrible call that cost us the game" than Smart, who pretty much said Jimmy got the foul because he screamed for it and he got punished for playing good D. I still don't see how you can call that a foul but that the steal by Smart on Jimmy the play before, which had much more contact.

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/832441630095466498?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/ByJayKing/status/832440512611246080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Yup even if he slightly touched his elbow, it's like a universal unspoken ref rule that you DO NOT EVER make that call that could inevitably influence the outcome of the game directly. 

« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
IT and Smart had some choice words about that last call. IT was much more explicit with it being a "horrible call that cost us the game" than Smart, who pretty much said Jimmy got the foul because he screamed for it and he got punished for playing good D. I still don't see how you can call that a foul but that the steal by Smart on Jimmy the play before, which had much more contact.

Yup even if he slightly touched his elbow, it's like a universal unspoken ref rule that you DO NOT EVER make that call that could inevitably influence the outcome of the game directly.

For real. And correct me if I'm wrong, but simply TOUCHING the elbow isn't necessarily a foul. A foul must actually AFFECT the shooting motion or ability of the offensive player. If that's the case, then I don't think there's any justification whatsoever for calling that a foul.

« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
And let's also not forget, this was another schedule loss given to us by the league in favor of the Bulls.

We got the Bulls on their opening night on a back to back for our first two games of the season in the first loss, and tonight was also on a back to back and the sixth city in nine nights for us.

Those are both pretty much schedule losses, let alone the several significant injuries we're dealing with and the fact that it's right before the All-Star Break.

EDIT: And to pile on, let's also not forget the Houston game where the refs also directly stole the game from us on the bogus Bradley three call. Took 15 seconds to analyze whether it was a 2 or a 3, yet they did it wrong and ended up costing us the game by losing by 1 point.

« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Still shouldn't have come down to that. IT simply can't force 3-4 bad shots in the 4th quarter like he did, and Brad has to go to somebody else occasionally in the 4th. Also, if our incompetent bigs could actually have just rebounded the ball once on one of those last possessions, none of that would've happened.

Do something about these issues, Danny.

My thoughts exactly.

Boston came into this game 10 GAMES better than the Bulls.

Boston was the home team.

Boston shot only 4 of 16 on threes in the second half.

Boston got outrebounded for the game by 20. TWENTY.

This shouldn't have been clinging to a 1-point lead with mere seconds left.

And Smart, being a great defensive player, should be able to contest a shot without getting that close to the shooter's arm.

Bulls were the home team but you know #alternativefacts

HAHA. Oops. My bad!  ;D

Doesn't change my point, though. Shouldn't even have been a close game.

We were playing in a back to back and Chicago was NOT!!

Smitty77

« Reply #319 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:32 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

For real. And correct me if I'm wrong, but simply TOUCHING the elbow isn't necessarily a foul. A foul must actually AFFECT the shooting motion or ability of the offensive player. If that's the case, then I don't think there's any justification whatsoever for calling that a foul.

Well it depends on the type of shot. From personal experience playing basketball, if it's a layup and you knick their elbow, absolutely not. On jumpshots it gets a lot trickier because even if he did slightly nudge his elbow it could dramatically affect a jumpshot making it short. That's probably why they called the foul because the shot was so short and it implied physical contact.

Now on this "foul" specifically? Absolutely not. Smart, if he did even make contact with Butler, it was probably the most miniscule form of contact between a jumpshooter and a defender and compounding the issue it was late. With both this call being the deciding factor and the fact that the there was almost no/minuscule contact between Butler and Smart, it shouldn't have been called

« Reply #320 on: February 16, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's hard to complain about anything else when the Bulls came into this game ready to rollover and play dead if Boston had just supplied a little pressure.  But while the defense has improved a little, the improvement is more situational than consistent.  We try to play good D when we need to, rather than starting with a certain defensive effort as a given.

We've become so good offensively that we can largely get by with that in the regular season, but when we let a team hang around and IT doesn't have an MVP fourth quarter?  This is what happens.

Mike

« Reply #321 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Isaiah and Smart are the true leaders of this team.

Also let it be known, On this day, the Ball Did Lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0-QR9IzM4

« Reply #322 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Say what you want about whether the Celtics should have taken Chicago but they were fighting an uphill battle from the beginning. This was their 6th game, in their 6th city, in 9 days, playing all without their starting SG, who is their second leading scorer. My guess is this team is pretty darn tired right now. That they were in this game and should have won it if not for a horrible call seems like a pretty positive thing to take away from it all

« Reply #323 on: February 17, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
All the videos from ground view, looked like Marcus grazed his elbow---but the overhead camera showed he did NOT touch him.

https://twitter.com/psucarney/status/832432657535492102

Watch how the ref waits for the shot to miss before he blows the whistle---and CLEARLY from this angle, there was no contact from Marcus.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #324 on: February 17, 2017, 12:24:11 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
All the videos from ground view, looked like Marcus grazed his elbow---but the overhead camera showed he did NOT touch him.

Watch how the ref waits for the shot to miss before he blows the whistle---and CLEARLY from this angle, there was no contact from Marcus.

Making a bad call is one thing, but waiting until after the shot missed to call the foul is reprehensible.  The league should suspend him for that.

« Reply #325 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Where's the aerial view? I don't think I've seen that one yet. Regardless, it's pretty ridiculous, and the ref clearly waited for the shot to miss before calling. That's just terrible, and I'm glad both IT and Smart called him out on that. I hope IT makes an even bigger fuss about it when it comes out by the NBA that it was the wrong call.

Just the millionth example of why we need at least one coach's challenges a game - to stop incompetent officiating like this from influencing the results of the game.

« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2017, 12:29:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Omg Max! That angle is horrendous!  I'm going to put that Ref on my Punch him in a dark Alley list!

+1

« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2017, 12:45:51 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Say what you want about whether the Celtics should have taken Chicago but they were fighting an uphill battle from the beginning. This was their 6th game, in their 6th city, in 9 days, playing all without their starting SG, who is their second leading scorer. My guess is this team is pretty darn tired right now. That they were in this game and should have won it if not for a horrible call seems like a pretty positive thing to take away from it all

Being heavily out rebounded, and the fact we had some really sloppy turnovers, I definitely do agree the fact we almost stole this game literally one bad foul call away should give our team some props.

We came away with a loss, but man was it a frustrating and nail biting one.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #328 on: February 17, 2017, 12:55:05 AM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
Celts are to blame for not executing down the stretch.  However, there is 0 excuse for the ref to make that call. I've seen guys get abused at that point in the game and not get sent to the line. In fact, I expect that type of play to be allowed given how much I've seen that happen.

This call is an illustration of why the NBA is considered a joke by so many.  I get refs will miss a call, but there is 0 excuse for that one to be made. This crew should be suspended for a few games. But that won't happen.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #329 on: February 17, 2017, 12:56:54 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Celts are to blame for not executing down the stretch.  However, there is 0 excuse for the ref to make that call. I've seen guys get abused at that point in the game and not get sent to the line. In fact, I expect that type of play to be allowed given how much I've seen that happen.

This call is an illustration of why the NBA is considered a joke by so many.  I get refs will miss a call, but there is 0 excuse for that one to be made. This crew should be suspended for a few games. But that won't happen.

Should give each coach a Challenge on fouls...at least 1 a game.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.