Author Topic: Does anyone here live in/around Cleveland?  (Read 3392 times)

Does anyone here live in/around Cleveland?
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hey guys,

It looks like I'm going to be relocating to Cleveland for a postdoc position for the next two years, and I need some advice for some areas/neighborhoods/suburbs to start looking for a place to live. I'll have a 2nd grader needing a good school, too, along with a pretty safe area figuring that my wife and 2 year old son will be home all day while I'm working. I'll primarily be around the University Circle area it looks like.

I know that I've seen several guys from Cleveland on here, but I don't remember who they quite are. If you could comment or PM some suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it (along with shelling out the necessary TPs)!

Re: Does anyone here live in/around Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Moranis.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Moranis.
Yep.  P.M. me jpotter or just ask away here. 

University Circle is on the East Side but near downtown, it would not be a place you would want to raise a family though as with most university and hospital areas it is in an urban setting (though there are some nice areas for living, the schools reflect the urban nature).  Depending on what you want, Lake County is probably the place to start looking first.  It is a fairly easy drive in (you don't have to go through downtown) and generally has pretty solid schools.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:41:47 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Case?

Great school. Very underrated out on the East Coast in my opinion.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I leave in Beachwood, great safe neighborhood. very good schools.
I moved to Cleveland about 2 years ago and its been great.
Probably 10 minutes away from University Circle.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Got my BME at Case Western. Awesome school. Horrible area to live around...at least it was back in the 80s. Never returned. Hated Cleveland as a city.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Case?

Case is very nice, but I just assumed he was going to be working at one of the three massive hospitals that are in the University Circle area (i.e. the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, or the V.A. Medical Center). 

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Beachwood is very nice, but the property taxes are awful and if you venture too far you are in the poor part of town pretty quickly. 

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Congrats on the position and good luck :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Beachwood is very nice, but the property taxes are awful and if you venture too far you are in the poor part of town pretty quickly.

Property taxes not too bad compared to Shaker or University Heights.
That's the areas I was looking into.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Case?

Case is very nice, but I just assumed he was going to be working at one of the three massive hospitals that are in the University Circle area (i.e. the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, or the V.A. Medical Center). 

It's actually all of the above. The fellowship is housed by the Cleveland Clinic, but it's partnered with Case, MetroHealth, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, and the V.A. I'll also be responsible for some stuff later on at the smaller community hospitals out west and south of the city, but most of my stuff will be around that University Circle area for the most part right now.

I was actually looking at the Willowick/Willoughby areas in Lake County. Is that an okay drive down 2/90 in rush hour? And wouldn't that area put us smack dab in the middle of lake effect snow territory? lol (I live north of Pittsburgh now, so I'm used to snow, just not the snow that people east of Erie usually get.)

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Property taxes not too bad compared to Shaker or University Heights.
That's the areas I was looking into.
you should come join me in Lake County.  Taxes are so much less.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Case?

It's actually all of the above. The fellowship is housed by the Cleveland Clinic, but it's partnered with Case, MetroHealth, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, and the V.A. I'll also be responsible for some stuff later on at the smaller community hospitals out west and south of the city, but most of my stuff will be around that University Circle area for the most part right now.

I was actually looking at the Willowick/Willoughby areas in Lake County. Is that an okay drive down 2/90 in rush hour? And wouldn't that area put us smack dab in the middle of lake effect snow territory? lol (I live north of Pittsburgh now, so I'm used to snow, just not the snow that people east of Erie usually get.)
Rush hour is fine.  Maybe the last mile or so before the exit it slows, but generally won't be a problem.  Willowick/Willoughby aren't that bad for snow, Mentor and Chardon (which is south of Mentor) is where you can really get dumped on.  The closer you are to the lake, generally the less snow you get as the Lake Effect snow tends to jump inland a bit.  Since the traffic on 2 is usually a bit better than 90 anyway that would work out alright for you (since 2 is north of 90).

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Case?

Rush hour is fine.  Maybe the last mile or so before the exit it slows, but generally won't be a problem.  Willowick/Willoughby aren't that bad for snow, Mentor and Chardon (which is south of Mentor) is where you can really get dumped on.  The closer you are to the lake, generally the less snow you get as the Lake Effect snow tends to jump inland a bit.  Since the traffic on 2 is usually a bit better than 90 anyway that would work out alright for you (since 2 is north of 90).

What about Euclid? I know that's Cuyahoga County, but I've read that it only gets bad after a point.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I grew up in the Valley View and went to the Cuyahoga Heights Schools.  That's a little outside Cleveland but quite close and easy to get in the city.

It's a really nice suburban area with lots of nice forest and parks if you're into that.  The schools there were great as well and recommended.   We had a great school system with elementary, middle, and high school in one big complex that even had an olympic size pool and everything.  Classes were a good size with awesome teachers.  I have seen education in other states and that was certainly the best I had.  You should give it a look.

I never had enough experience with other areas to tell you how to avoid snow or too much about the commute since we didn't have that situation.  But for a kid growing up and our family it was a great area.

Great people in Ohio so I think you will like that part of it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:43:54 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford