Poll

Nets pick, Johnson, Zeller, and Rozier for Drummond?

Yes
35 (49.3%)
No
36 (50.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available  (Read 15377 times)

Re: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yes.   Push to use the 2018 Net pick, but yes.

No one is going to out Warrior the Warriors. 

The Thunder pushed them last year by playing big.

This. Maybe Drummond isn't the right guy, but this whole notion that we can only have bigs that are elite shooters is silly.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't think he fits our system so much to give the Nets pick for him. Other than Cousins, Anthony Davis or a superstar/skilled big man, let's wait till summer and watch what Zizic can give in our team.

Have the Celtics had a big man like this to put into the "system"? 

Does anyone else think it is possible that the "system" would be adjusted based on the top players of the team?

TP, I think this is the exact mindset people lack and need around here.

That's fine, but the current system is working very well, and completely adjusting it with under two months to go in the season probably isn't going to be a successful proposition.  If we were a .500 team you could make that argument, but we've got the 5th-best record in the league and are on pace to win about 55 games.  This isn't a team that needs to turn over the apple cart, but rather a team that could use players who do well what we do well, but either do it better, or do something additional that we don't do well.

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 12:13:48 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The fact that we can't close games with Drummond because of his FT shooting worries me, especially since we're going to give up some good quality players and a pick or two for him.

He does solve our rebounding issue, but what good is he if he's not there to close out games?

And having Thomas in defensively is a liability during close games and folks around here are ready to max him out. Whats the difference?

The difference? IT4's offensive output FAR outweighs his defensive liabilities. Andre Drummond's rebounding won't make up for the fact that his FT shooting is a liability AND we're going to have to give up good off the bench players and a pick in the process.

We're not giving up any assets to hide IT on defense. That's the difference.

Thomas been magical in the 4th because he has the ball most of the time. Do you really want that ball to go to Drummond instead and taking FT's because he's being hacked all the time? Because that's what's going to happen if we put a lineup that includes Drummond in the 4th, especially in close games. 
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Drummond is certainly a polarizing player. The only thing that I believe is that those who think that we can get him without including Brooklyn 2017 are being unrealistic. They have no sense of urgency to trade him for some grab bag of players plus Brooklyn 2018.

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think he fits our system so much to give the Nets pick for him. Other than Cousins, Anthony Davis or a superstar/skilled big man, let's wait till summer and watch what Zizic can give in our team.

Does anyone else think it is possible that the "system" would be adjusted based on the top players of the team?

That's fine, but the current system is working very well, and completely adjusting it with under two months to go in the season probably isn't going to be a successful proposition.  If we were a .500 team you could make that argument, but we've got the 5th-best record in the league and are on pace to win about 55 games.  This isn't a team that needs to turn over the apple cart, but rather a team that could use players who do well what we do well, but either do it better, or do something additional that we don't do well.

For a team like the Celtics, when a star player is available at a price they think works, they can not wait to the offseason.

Add the right price talent when it is available.   Maybe the chemistry building prevents them from winning a title this season, but be honest, the need of more talent will likely prevent them from winning a title this season anyways. 

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 12:23:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

This .....^.  There is no Curry for us to get or KD .......the way to beat them is push them around with bigs .  Cousins and other bigs play havic with em.

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

For a team like the Celtics, when a star player is available at a price they think works, they can not wait to the offseason.

Add the right price talent when it is available.   Maybe the chemistry building prevents them from winning a title this season, but be honest, the need of more talent will likely prevent them from winning a title this season anyways.
exactly I keep seeing people talk about chemistry and not wanting to mess it up, but if the team doesn't have the talent to win a title, what does chemistry matter?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 12:41:51 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The price is probably too high, but the sentiment that Drummond would barely help (if at all) because of his shooting problems is crazy.

He creates extra possessions with the best offensive rebounding in the league. He gets a few easy dunks per game. He clears the defensive glass and blocks shots. No, he can't shoot, but can you leave him with a mismatch at the rim when KO or Horford is at the 3pt line? How many lobs are you going to see when IT goes to the basket and the defense collapses on him?

I don't see how it happens, but y'all are nuts if you don't think he'd help on the court.

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The price is probably too high, but the sentiment that Drummond would barely help (if at all) because of his shooting problems is crazy.

He creates extra possessions with the best offensive rebounding in the league. He gets a few easy dunks per game. He clears the defensive glass and blocks shots. No, he can't shoot, but can you leave him with a mismatch at the rim when KO or Horford is at the 3pt line? How many lobs are you going to see when IT goes to the basket and the defense collapses on him?

I don't see how it happens, but y'all are nuts if you don't think he'd help on the court.
It is easy to focus on flaw and miss the positives. Look at how much Bogut help GS. But we should also remember Bogut not finishing games when GS went to small lineups. It is a tricky decision to commit to Drummond but I would not complain if Danny felt it was worth it.

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 12:51:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

This. Maybe Drummond isn't the right guy, but this whole notion that we can only have bigs that are elite shooters is silly.

Adams and Ibaka were a much more agile and athletic combo than Horford and Drummond.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The fact that we can't close games with Drummond because of his FT shooting worries me, especially since we're going to give up some good quality players and a pick or two for him.

He does solve our rebounding issue, but what good is he if he's not there to close out games?

And having Thomas in defensively is a liability during close games and folks around here are ready to max him out. Whats the difference?

The difference? IT4's offensive output FAR outweighs his defensive liabilities. Andre Drummond's rebounding won't make up for the fact that his FT shooting is a liability AND we're going to have to give up good off the bench players and a pick in the process.

We're not giving up any assets to hide IT on defense. That's the difference.

Thomas been magical in the 4th because he has the ball most of the time. Do you really want that ball to go to Drummond instead and taking FT's because he's being hacked all the time? Because that's what's going to happen if we put a lineup that includes Drummond in the 4th, especially in close games.

I'm not sure about this. I think we're all painfully aware of how often Boston gets hurt by giving up too many offensive rebounds, so if we have a defensive rebounder who's basically a vacuum on the boards, I think that would prevent quite a few opponent points.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
                                 Off. Rat.     Def. Rat.     Net Rat.    Def. Reb.%

Drummond on court     103.2          108.2         -5.0           79.6

Drummond off court     104.8          100.3        +4.5           81.8

Detroit is better offensively, way better defensively and even rebounds better without him.  He is not a good defender and would destroy the Celtics offense.  There is a very good reason why he is on the market along with every other dinosaur center. 

The last thing the C's need to do is acquire a lane clogging rebounding big like Drummond!  What the C's do need is an attacker/playmaker with size/length on the wing.

« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2017, 01:01:10 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Adams and Ibaka were a much more agile and athletic combo than Horford and Drummond.

A good point.

I think it's also important to consider Drummond's strengths and how he could be used to punish opponents—namely, he creates a lot of mismatches on the post and could get a lot of easy buckets.

Although, if he gets fouled ...
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2017, 01:15:10 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Im with those that think the system should be changed. The bigs are primarily shooting 3s. There is very little balance to this Offense. The team has begun to change as Crowder has started to put the ball on the floor and put pressure on teams slashing and taking one dribble attack pull ups.

I would love to see more diversification in this offense and maybe that comes with a more dynamic wing player but until then I guess we are stuck with good shooting bigs who struggle to rebound and wings that dont attack the basket consistently.

The system is winning us games but all I know is the Cavs won it with a player like Drummond and so have alot of other teams over the last 5 years.

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

exactly I keep seeing people talk about chemistry and not wanting to mess it up, but if the team doesn't have the talent to win a title, what does chemistry matter?
Which is exactly why Ainge is waiting for someone who will add to what they are doing, not subtract from it.  If it's just about talent he would have some interest in Carmelo.