Poll

Nets pick, Johnson, Zeller, and Rozier for Drummond?

Yes
35 (49.3%)
No
36 (50.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available  (Read 15289 times)

Re: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The reason you stay away from Drummond is that he's owed an average of $26.2m per year for the next four years. You only acquire a guy making money for that many years into the future if he's a transcendent talent. And Drummond (with the way today's NBA game is played) is not that.

Now, others will come back and say "you're paying Horford similar money for the next three years, and he's not a transcendent talent". Correct. But Horford was intended as the stepping stone towards acquiring another superstar, not the end game. Drummond would essentially clog up the Celtics' cap situation for years.

This is a better argument than that "dinosaur" business. Bill Russell wouldn't appreciate that.
Maybe Stevens needs to give a little, too, if he wants to win a championship. KG was no dinosaur. Neither was Perkins.

But when you look at the projected salaries for  the next FA contracts, the numbers are in the $40 mil per year range! This makes $26M guys look cheap, including Drummond and Melo. And Horford.

KG was a superior defender and could hit the 18-footer with regularity and hit free throws. Drummond can't.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Drummond doesn't fit our style of play at all. He is a good rebounder but what else does he do? He can't even hit free throws. He is a dinosaur as some others have mentioned. I would prefer Brook Lopez at the same cost over Drummond because he is more versatile and better offensively. Not saying I want Brook but if I had to choose based on the same cost I would go for Brook to fit with "this" team and style of play.

Lopez is a greatly inferior defender and rebounder, who is also older and more injury prone.  I think Lopez is underrated, but at the same time he's averaging 5.2 rebounds per game. He'd struggle next to Horford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I want him, but I wouldn't want to give up Smart, Brown, or the 2017 first rounder.

If we could keep IT and Horford as well I don't see why not?

If giving up just Amir, one of Bradley/Crowder, the 2018 Brooklyn pick, Rozier and fillers could get it done why the heck not? Cap relief(Amir), productive prime player(AB/JC), lottery pick(BK18), prospect (Rozier) and some second rounders that gives Detroit a lot and still leaves us with trade assets. The only thing we miss out on is free agency.

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think it's a somewhat sad commentary on the modern NBA that a player averaging 14 rebounds a game is considered a "dinosaur" and a "bad fit."

I'm in agreement with those who don't want to commit to Drummond's big contract, considering he's not a superstar, but every fiber of my being squirms and recoils at the notion that 7-footers MUST be good 3pt shooters who rarely, if ever, enter the paint.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't think he fits our system so much to give the Nets pick for him. Other than Cousins, Anthony Davis or a superstar/skilled big man, let's wait till summer and watch what Zizic can give in our team.

Have the Celtics had a big man like this to put into the "system"? 

Does anyone else think it is possible that the "system" would be adjusted based on the top players of the team?

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The reason you stay away from Drummond is that he's owed an average of $26.2m per year for the next four years. You only acquire a guy making money for that many years into the future if he's a transcendent talent. And Drummond (with the way today's NBA game is played) is not that.

Now, others will come back and say "you're paying Horford similar money for the next three years, and he's not a transcendent talent". Correct. But Horford was intended as the stepping stone towards acquiring another superstar, not the end game. Drummond would essentially clog up the Celtics' cap situation for years.

This is a better argument than that "dinosaur" business. Bill Russell wouldn't appreciate that.
Maybe Stevens needs to give a little, too, if he wants to win a championship. KG was no dinosaur. Neither was Perkins.

But when you look at the projected salaries for  the next FA contracts, the numbers are in the $40 mil per year range! This makes $26M guys look cheap, including Drummond and Melo. And Horford.

KG was a superior defender and could hit the 18-footer with regularity and hit free throws. Drummond can't.
Drummond is actually hitting the 10-16 foot shot at 48.8% this year.  He doesn't take very many of them (only 6.5% of his shots), but he is increasing his range and his efficiency basically every year.  And remember he is only 23.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Perkins was most definitely a dinosaur.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I m a fan of post play .....rebounding ,  clogging the paint   etc.

So ..yeah I d be tickled to see Drummond wearing green.

But knowing Danny ......I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 11:43:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't think he fits our system so much to give the Nets pick for him. Other than Cousins, Anthony Davis or a superstar/skilled big man, let's wait till summer and watch what Zizic can give in our team.

No in million years ....it feels like

I miss KG and Perk

Does anyone else think it is possible that the "system" would be adjusted based on the top players of the team?

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Not sure how anyone could be against getting Drummond for 2018 Nets and some players. The guy is everything we need. Plus I love throwback bigs like him. Just personal bias but kind ov over 3pt shooting bigs..

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

TP, I think this is the exact mindset people lack and need around here.

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The fact that we can't close games with Drummond because of his FT shooting worries me, especially since we're going to give up some good quality players and a pick or two for him.

He does solve our rebounding issue, but what good is he if he's not there to close out games?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes but nobody wants them

Not for the price they r asking

Drummond is slowly becoming ancient technology

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
My concern with Drummond (as a longtime UConn fan who tends to follow those players who jump to the NBA) has never had anything to do with ability to rebound or athleticism. He's an incredible athlete who can block a shot, rebound it, outlet, run the floor and catch a lob in the same play. Gifted, in that regard.

But the guy is not a basketball head. He doesn't think the game. Maybe he will improve there - he's 23 and has probably not had great big-man coaching. He played for a pretty dysfunctional Pistons team for a while.

Still, someone with his innate athleticism should be a menacing defender. He can block the occasional shot with some thunder, but that doesn't mean he has the head or heart to be a defensive anchor. I reckon that's partially why SVG has pondered moving on from him.

Could he get there? Maybe. But that's where the questions start for me. Oh, and for the love of mercy, someone convince him to shoot FTs underhanded.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
The fact that we can't close games with Drummond because of his FT shooting worries me, especially since we're going to give up some good quality players and a pick or two for him.

He does solve our rebounding issue, but what good is he if he's not there to close out games?

And having Thomas in defensively is a liability during close games and folks around here are ready to max him out. Whats the difference?