Poll

Nets pick, Johnson, Zeller, and Rozier for Drummond?

Yes
35 (49.3%)
No
36 (50.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available  (Read 15372 times)

Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available
« on: February 15, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Now I could care less about Jackson, but Drummond single handily checks off every one our teams needs.

So would you trade the #1 pick for him as part of a package? This also means we would not have any money to target a FA during the summer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18686427/zach-lowe-andre-drummond-reggie-jackson-detroit-pistons

They needed talent; they would figure out the rest later. The figuring it out part has been harder than expected, especially with both Jackson and Drummond plateauing. Detroit has quietly explored the trade market for each of its franchise centerpieces, according to sources across the league, and come away disappointed with the potential return. (Van Gundy himself has said anyone is available for "the right price.")

Any Drummond deal at the deadline is an extreme long shot, but Jackson remains in play for Minnesota, Orlando, New Orleans, or some mystery destination. Even if Detroit keeps him, missing the playoffs would put dramatic changes on the table this summer.

Re: Lowe - Drummond and Jackson available
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Absolutely not.
I think he's a great player but he's a 1990's center. A dinosaur.

Wouldn't touch Drummond with a 10 foot pole. Can you imagine Horford and Drummond trying to guard the Cavs pick and roll with lebron/Kyrie or Lebron/Love? It would be a nightmare/car crash scene for us.
He also hurts the spacing IT and our shooters need.

Great player but just doesn't fit with what we are trying to do with spacing/shooting/ball movement.
We need multidimensional players.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Absolutely not.

Wouldn't touch Drummond with a 10 foot pole. Can you imagine Horford and Drummond trying to guard the Cavs pick and roll with lebron/Kyrie or Lebron/Love? It would be a nightmare/car crash scene for us.

Great player but just doesn't fit with what we are trying to do with spacing/shooting/ball movement.

Pretty much agree.  If we hadn't gotten Horford this summer, I'd be all over Danny trying to get Drummond.  But we did, so there's no point.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:24:50 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Absolutely not.

At the same time, aren't the Cavs (and Warriors and Spurs) thriving to some extent while relying on a "dinosaur" for big minutes. Thompson / ZaZa / Gasol all have some of the limitations you mentioned.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 09:26:13 AM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
brad stevens would hate drummond.  wouldn't know what to do with him.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
I like Drummond a lot but I think that trade is a bit shortsighted. If you look towards the 2018 draft class there are a lot of great big in that class with the potential to be a lot better than Drummond. Since I don't think the nets can or will make any significant improvements I would bet that that pick would be another top 5.

I guess I can see both sides of the coin since Drummond is still only 23 and has plenty of time to improve many facets of his game. He would help a great deal and would be a lot better than signing Nerlens Noel for the same amount in the off-season

I guess I'm a little torn on this one.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:31 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Drummond is one of the best centers in the NBA today. He fills the holes the Celtics have right now. You absolutely trade for a player like him.
That being said i'd offer the 2018 nets pick for him not the 2017.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 09:33:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Drummond is a worse version of Deandre Jordan, and he doesn't fit with Horford.

The team is much better this year because of the extra skill and floor spacing in the front court for a majority of games. Drummond would roll that back.

He's a good player but not worth the farm.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 09:40:53 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
Why would we be opposed to this? Because he doesn't shoot 3's?  ::) Give me a break. The guy changes the game for you defensively. I'd be all for it. I get it, he doesn't have much of an offensive game and can't shoot FT's. Well guess what? We don't need offense.. Drummond is a center who can rebound and defend at a high rate. He's a Deandre Jordan clone. That's what we need. For the right price? Sign. Me. Up.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The reason you stay away from Drummond is that he's owed an average of $26.2m per year for the next four years. You only acquire a guy making money for that many years into the future if he's a transcendent talent. And Drummond (with the way today's NBA game is played) is not that.

Now, others will come back and say "you're paying Horford similar money for the next three years, and he's not a transcendent talent". Correct. But Horford was intended as the stepping stone towards acquiring another superstar, not the end game. Drummond would essentially clog up the Celtics' cap situation for years.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yes.   Push to use the 2018 Net pick, but yes.

No one is going to out Warrior the Warriors. 

The Thunder pushed them last year by playing big.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Drummond is 23 and locked up for 5 years. He's not going to come cheap. But if it was possible to get him without giving up Brown, Smart, or 2017 Nets you can count me in.

Bradley, Zeller, Rozier, Mickey, BKN 2018, MEM 2019, LAC 2019, MIN 2017 2nd for Drummond and Udrih.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Now, others will come back and say "you're paying Horford similar money for the next three years, and he's not a transcendent talent". Correct. But Horford was intended as the stepping stone towards acquiring another superstar, not the end game. Drummond would essentially clog up the Celtics' cap situation for years.

TP for the Hubie Brown like response, but I don't agree. Drummond would still be an asset. So while we may not be able to use cap space this summer because of him, we would be able to make superstar potential trades because of him.

Take Paul George for example. How much better does an offer look if it's built around Drummond, a young proven talent, than it does around an uncertain draft pick?

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 09:51:21 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
He cant shoot free throws

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm guessing Drummond's price tag would be too high.

He's potentially an awkward fit. Not just because he doesn't shoot (at all) but because he's not a very skilled basketball player. He doesn't always know where he's supposed to be. He doesn't pass well.

He's only 23 years old and maybe a change of scenery changes how much work he's willing to put in night in and night out but that's a bit of a gamble. One I might take, but not for a Nets pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008