Author Topic: Sully on way out of league?  (Read 4736 times)

Re: Sully on way out of league?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sully either has his eureka moment soon or he'll wake up and find himself unemployed.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't get all the Sully hate.

I never got all the Sully love? 

He could rebound.  He can't shoot, was only a good defender for one year and showed poor personal habits that ballooned his weight and killed his conditioning.   Yet folks let him off the hook all the time and year after year.

All I can say is, Danny made the right call letting him walk.

Agree TP, Ainge gave him a ton of chances to succeed.   

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Doubt it.   It may cost him in future salary, but we have seen he is an NBA quality big man.

He had pushed himself all the way down to untrusted bench played by the end of his tenure here. He now is seems like he will not be a rotation player the rest of the season in Toronto barring injuries.

Just because a player demonstrates they are a quality big man at one point doesn't mean they can always stick around.

Lance Stephenson was certainly an NBA quality combo guard and is an extremely fringe player on 10 day contracts at age 26.

Mario Chalmers was clearly an NBA calibar guard, but now a year after an injury (note sully has had a serious injury too), Chalmers can't even get a sniff from a team with a decimated backcourt at 30 years old.
A torn Achilles is a death sentence. Worst injury in sports. At least thats my understanding .

Lance Stephenson is a locker room menace.

Completely different stories.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I don't get all the Sully hate.

I never got all the Sully love? 

He could rebound.  He can't shoot, was only a good defender for one year and showed poor personal habits that ballooned his weight and killed his conditioning.   Yet folks let him off the hook all the time and year after year.

Agree TP, Ainge gave him a ton of chances to succeed.
He slipped in the draft. It was a gamble. We never paid him big bucks. He was loved here. He decided to eat his way out of the league.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doubt it.   It may cost him in future salary, but we have seen he is an NBA quality big man.

He had pushed himself all the way down to untrusted bench played by the end of his tenure here. He now is seems like he will not be a rotation player the rest of the season in Toronto barring injuries.

Just because a player demonstrates they are a quality big man at one point doesn't mean they can always stick around.

Lance Stephenson was certainly an NBA quality combo guard and is an extremely fringe player on 10 day contracts at age 26.

Mario Chalmers was clearly an NBA calibar guard, but now a year after an injury (note sully has had a serious injury too), Chalmers can't even get a sniff from a team with a decimated backcourt at 30 years old.

And how many chances did they get to re-prove themselves?

Sully has an injury issue this year.   Let him get healthy and back in shape.

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

And how many chances did they get to re-prove themselves?

Sully has an injury issue this year.   Let him get healthy and back in shape.

Back in shape implies he was once in shape.

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 03:54:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Problem with Sullinger is his attitude, and his inconsistent work ethic. He may get a deal, but its going to be a far cry from the 10-14 million people were talking about him getting.

Unless he does well with the Raptors in limited minutes, GM's are going to learn from other GM's past mistakes like Hennigan. Making short term moves without guaranteed or roster compatibility are going to be the factors that determine teams success.

Agree.

I like Ibaka, but considering how much the market has changed, and our dire need to have cap space, although it would've been nice to re-sign Ibaka with our Bird rights.

I dont see any dire need to save cap space.

We could have made moves to get a guy like Melo or Ibaka, but Danny refuses to do any deal unless it involves getting a future star for nothing,  so instead hell elect to sane cap space so he can have an opportunity to potentially throw another stupidly thought out max deal at another fringe star like Hayward who would do little to help this team.

Because thats the Ainge way - never do a deal unless you can utterly rip off the opposing team 

All well and good if such deals exist,  then why not take them?   But when they don't exist sometimes you need to give something up to get something in return.  Refusing to trade for Ibaka, when this team is desperate for a front court upgrade,  just because you doesn't want to give up Rozier....when you own rights to an almost certain top 4 pick in a draft stacked with guards?  The man is ludicrous.  I love Rozier's potential, but [dang] man...be realistic.

Ibaka has really fallen off though. I always liked him. But his offensive output is literally zilch.

If he wasn't a good shooter from midrange and 3pt, he would literally be an inferior rebounding Biyombo. And we all know how that story turned out.

I think Ainge is pretty much dead set on trying to obtain Butler/PG13. Which is why I think he's saving cap space.

Best case scenario...

We bring in Blake Griffin off season.

Trade for PG13 or Butler.

Roll with a squad of
IT
Smart/Butler
Butler or PG13
Griffin
Horford

That's a pretty strong and well balanced team.

Also with cap space flexibility, it gives Danny Ainge a boatload of options.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 10:22:02 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Sully either has his eureka moment soon or he'll wake up and find himself unemployed.
perhaps, though the $12,000,000 he has made in salary as a nba player may soften that fall a bit.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
perhaps, though the $12,000,000 he has made in salary as a nba player may soften that fall a bit.
Looks like he may be gone on a salary dump too. I hope somehow he goes to Sacramento.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2017, 06:37:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I have seen a lot of the usual people floating the idea that if the Raptors make another move and need a roster spot Sully will be waived. What a mighty fall for him from a starter on a good team.