Author Topic: Sully on way out of league?  (Read 4738 times)

Sully on way out of league?
« on: February 14, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think the move for Ibaka by Toronto is another nail in the coffin for Sullinger having any kind of positive impact this year in Toronto. They have Jonas V, Ibaka, Noguera, Siakam and even a stretch 4 like Patterson in front of him and he has been unable to recover from his offseason injury.

Coming of a season where he looks to have continuing minimal playing time and injury concerns, does he get much more than a camp invite even at age 24? There was obviously already lower level interest in him given the contract he signed last offseason.

Re: Sully on way out of league?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Shanghai Sharks will be looking for someone to replace Yabu.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 02:48:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Doubt it.   It may cost him in future salary, but we have seen he is an NBA quality big man.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Doubt it.   It may cost him in future salary, but we have seen he is an NBA quality big man.

He had pushed himself all the way down to untrusted bench played by the end of his tenure here. He now is seems like he will not be a rotation player the rest of the season in Toronto barring injuries.

Just because a player demonstrates they are a quality big man at one point doesn't mean they can always stick around.

Lance Stephenson was certainly an NBA quality combo guard and is an extremely fringe player on 10 day contracts at age 26.

Mario Chalmers was clearly an NBA calibar guard, but now a year after an injury (note sully has had a serious injury too), Chalmers can't even get a sniff from a team with a decimated backcourt at 30 years old.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:34:46 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
All I can say is, Danny made the right call letting him walk for the money he was going to get.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Problem with Sullinger is his attitude, and his inconsistent work ethic. He may get a deal, but its going to be a far cry from the 10-14 million people were talking about him getting.

Unless he does well with the Raptors in limited minutes, GM's are going to learn from other GM's past mistakes like Hennigan. Making short term moves without guaranteed or roster compatibility are going to be the factors that determine teams success.

All I can say is, Danny made the right call letting him walk.

Agree.

I like Ibaka, but considering how much the market has changed, and our dire need to have cap space, although it would've been nice to re-sign Ibaka with our Bird rights.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Problem with Sullinger is his attitude, and his inconsistent work ethic. He may get a deal, but its going to be a far cry from the 10-14 million people were talking about him getting.

Unless he does well with the Raptors in limited minutes, GM's are going to learn from other GM's past mistakes like Hennigan. Making short term moves without guaranteed or roster compatibility are going to be the factors that determine teams success.

Agree.

I like Ibaka, but considering how much the market has changed, and our dire need to have cap space, although it would've been nice to re-sign Ibaka with our Bird rights.

I think that comment was regarding Sullinger, not Ibaka.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Agree.

I think that comment was regarding Sullinger, not Ibaka.

I know, I was responding to the OP's original premise and expanded on hpantazo's comment.

Danny made the right call letting Sullinger walk, and Raptors are going to most likely let Sullinger walk as well.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
All I can say is, Danny made the right call letting him walk for the money he was going to get.

Yup.....we dodged another bullet ......he ll be buried behind Ibaka

He ll. Just eat his worries away.

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 06:11:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His shooting % have been really bad this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

31% from the field
17% from three land

You think one would have picked up a ball and practiced some while rehabbing.....

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 06:54:46 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Yeah, if he can rock up to a franchise in shape, be put into an offense that doesn't rely on all 5 guys being 3pt shooters (like ours) - I'm sure someone will throw minimum salary at him..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
His shooting % have been really bad this year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

31% from the field
17% from three land

You think one would have picked up a ball and practiced some while rehabbing.....
hard to do with a foot injury until you are pretty close to coming back.  can't do conditioning either.  Sully needs to get into shape before the end of the year so that he can show teams he is in shape.  His numbers should improve if that happens.  He needs to do that to have any sort of interest this summer other than something like a camp invite.  I still think he has a chance to be a pretty solid player.  He has very good instincts and good hands both of which allow him to be an effective rebounder and post player.  He just hasn't been able to stay healthy, which has really hurt his conditioning. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don't get all the Sully hate.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
He's lazy, he refuses to keep in shape,  he plays with energy when he feels like it,  he makes terrible decisions on the court,  and he has an attitude problem.

What's there to not understand? There's a reason why no team wanted him at a time when backup-caliber guys like Evan Turner and Tristan Thonpson got $17m a year.  No team wants to touch him with a ten foot pole. It's amazing he even stayed in Boston as long as he did.

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Agree.

I dont see any dire need to save cap space.

We could have made moves to get a guy like Melo or Ibaka, but Danny refuses to do any deal unless it involves getting a future star for nothing,  so instead hell elect to sane cap space so he can have an opportunity to potentially throw another stupidly thought out max deal at another fringe star like Hayward who would do little to help this team.

Because thats the Ainge way - never do a deal unless you can utterly rip off the opposing team 

All well and good if such deals exist,  then why not take them?   But when they don't exist sometimes you need to give something up to get something in return.  Refusing to trade for Ibaka, when this team is desperate for a front court upgrade,  just because you doesn't want to give up Rozier....when you own rights to an almost certain top 4 pick in a draft stacked with guards?  The man is ludicrous.  I love Rozier's potential, but [dang] man...be realistic.