Author Topic: Have faith in Danny for god sake  (Read 11416 times)

Re: Have faith in Danny for god sake
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 10:24:21 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Most on this board will get behind Danny regardless.  Blind.  How many years did we watch Danny's masterful plan unfold to end up with no big trade to immediately upgrade the team. He's been fortunate things have panned out but this isn't because of anything he's planned.
Can you name a better rebuild?
Parametars are: time period, sustainability, chemistry and title odds.
MJ and Bird have also been fortunate, but I don't diminsh their body of work. I respect it.
I am not sure are you just troling?
I thought we are beyond that.

This isn't about a rebuild it's about playoff readiness. Teams are always rebuilding and don't do anything in the playoffs.  76ers for example.  While other teams strike while the iron is hot like we did in 2008.  It's not like we're rebuilding with high Lottery picked here either.

And this team is not playoff ready. Can't rebound. Too many second chances. Not good enough defensively.

If Ainge stands pat, then he's white-flagging this season. We need a rebounder. Not necessarily Ibaka, but anyone who won't stand around the basket and watch like Olynyk. Doesn't have to come at great cost.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Most on this board will get behind Danny regardless.  Blind.  How many years did we watch Danny's masterful plan unfold to end up with no big trade to immediately upgrade the team. He's been fortunate things have panned out but this isn't because of anything he's planned.
MJ and Bird have also been fortunate, but I don't diminsh their body of work. I respect it.

This isn't about a rebuild it's about playoff readiness. Teams are always rebuilding and don't do anything in the playoffs.  76ers for example.  While other teams strike while the iron is hot like we did in 2008.  It's not like we're rebuilding with high Lottery picked here either.

And this team is not playoff ready. Can't rebound. Too many second chances. Not good enough defensively.

If Ainge stands pat, then he's white-flagging this season. We need a rebounder. Not necessarily Ibaka, but anyone who won't stand around the basket and watch like Olynyk. Doesn't have to come at great cost.
I don't have to be the best looking person in the room to feel good about myself. I feel good about our team.
Celts are very good team now, not great. I am patient, since we are getting better each day for the last 4 years.
Last year we were a bottom half playoff team, this year we are in the upper half. We improved in many areas, while regressed at fewer.
I think that both of you misstook playoff readiness for title readiness.
@cltc5 you replied, but didn't quite answer the sentence with the question mark.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

I don't have to be the best looking person in the room to feel good about myself. I feel good about our team.
Celts are very good team now, not great. I am patient, since we are getting better each day for the last 4 years.
Last year we were a bottom half playoff team, this year we are in the upper half. We improved in many areas, while regressed at fewer.
I think that both of you misstook playoff readiness for title readiness.
@cltc5 you replied, but didn't quite answer the sentence with the question mark.

Why would I answer a question that's irrelevant?

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:22 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
You get what you give.

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think it's fair for people to be frustrated.  A division rival just took another step forward in terms of talent while we hold out for "fireworks".

This is kind of where I'm at.

Danny is a great GM, no doubt about it. He's a top-5 GM in the league. But I do feel that he sometimes looks a little too hard for the "homerun" trade rather than the "single with an RBI" trade.

I think he's a little too focused on the star names of Butler, George, and possibly even Cousins rather than the high end role players that could really benefit us, like Ibaka. And that's honestly really surprising, because I think the biggest part of why our team is successful is because we've surrounded our one true star in IT with high quality role players in Horford, Crowder, AB, Smart, KO, etc.

An Ibaka trade would've given us a clearer focus and path, too. The way I see it, there are three paths we could take:

Win now - push the Brooklyn picks and some of the younger prospects to try and trade for another star now;

Stay the course - compete as faux contenders right now, but do not trade anything but the smallest of our assets;

Win now and in the future - keep our core assets (Brooklyn picks, Smart, Brown) and our main rotation players (IT, AB, Jae, Horford, KO, Amir, JJ) but be willing to trade everything else to upgrade the roster to improve now, while still having the future promise

The proposed Ibaka trade would've put us in the "win now and in the future" direction, and that seems like a no-brainer to me. Rozier is in no way a sticking point to a team needing an upgrade at the big position as much as the C's do. He would've been a small price to pay for a perfect fit at the 4 between Crowder and Horford.

My only guess is that Danny thinks that he can get one of Ibaka, Milsap, or even Griffin (or another big via trade) this summer, so he doesn't want to waste even minimal assets now. That's fine, but then what happens when that doesn't go through? Was Rozier really worth missing out on a piece that could be the difference between a Finals appearance or not, which an upgrade like Ibaka very well could be?

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84

I don't think Stevens cares all that much about defensive rebounding judging by his comments lately.   Probably would want a sixth man more anything else.  Never really got a replacement for Turner.

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think it's fair for people to be frustrated.  A division rival just took another step forward in terms of talent while we hold out for "fireworks".

On paper the raptors look better but they have been a mess to where it's going to take a while for them to adjust and they may need to fire their coach. The celtics are 2nd in the east and a top 5 team overall

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Danny is a great GM, no doubt about it. He's a top-5 GM in the league. But I do feel that he sometimes looks a little too hard for the "homerun" trade rather than the "single with an RBI" trade.

I think he's a little too focused on the star names of Butler, George, and possibly even Cousins rather than the high end role players that could really benefit us, like Ibaka. And that's honestly really surprising, because I think the biggest part of why our team is successful is because we've surrounded our one true star in IT with high quality role players in Horford, Crowder, AB, Smart, KO, etc.

An Ibaka trade would've given us a clearer focus and path, too. The way I see it, there are three paths we could take:

Win now - push the Brooklyn picks and some of the younger prospects to try and trade for another star now;

Stay the course - compete as faux contenders right now, but do not trade anything but the smallest of our assets;

Win now and in the future - keep our core assets (Brooklyn picks, Smart, Brown) and our main rotation players (IT, AB, Jae, Horford, KO, Amir, JJ) but be willing to trade everything else to upgrade the roster to improve now, while still having the future promise

The proposed Ibaka trade would've put us in the "win now and in the future" direction, and that seems like a no-brainer to me. Rozier is in no way a sticking point to a team needing an upgrade at the big position as much as the C's do. He would've been a small price to pay for a perfect fit at the 4 between Crowder and Horford.

My only guess is that Danny thinks that he can get one of Ibaka, Milsap, or even Griffin (or another big via trade) this summer, so he doesn't want to waste even minimal assets now. That's fine, but then what happens when that doesn't go through? Was Rozier really worth missing out on a piece that could be the difference between a Finals appearance or not, which an upgrade like Ibaka very well could be?

It's interesting. They apparently have hit season ticket holders with a double-digit percentage increase, so one wonders how acceptable another white-flagged season is going to be.

I think most people would be fine with a good playoff run - win a series or two. And that's not happening the way this team rebounds and defends. Maybe a favorable first round matchup, but the ECF ain't walking through that door.

Ainge didn't have to add Ibaka - although I find the reviews I've read of Rozier's very unremarkable time with the Celtics hilarious; must have been written by someone who posts here regularly.

And the deadline's not here yet.

But if he makes no moves, then it's going to become quite clear the motivation - vastly overvalued "assets."
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 01:47:01 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

On paper the raptors look better but they have been a mess to where it's going to take a while for them to adjust and they may need to fire their coach. The celtics are 2nd in the east and a top 5 team overall

Man, I watched their game last night, and you can tell how out of sorts they really are. Lowry and Derozan complained on EVERY SINGLE CALL that didn't go their way, and it was just to the point of being Cousins-like. It will be interesting to see if they can turn this around. I'm not sure how much Ibaka really helps them. I think they have an identity issue and locker room/coach issues as much as anything, along with probably overachieving the last couple of years and coming back down to Earth now.

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Danny bought himself a ton of time with that Brooklyn trade.

Imagine if we land the #1 overall.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Completely agree with the OP.

Danny is easily one of the best, if not the best, GM in the entire NBA.  The Celtics have one of the best coaches in the NBA, one of the youngest rosters, with a legitimate chance at having the best record in the Eastern Conference this season, with cap space to sign a max contract in the offseason...and will have a legitimate chance at the #1 overall draft pick next year! 

This is historic type stuff.  How many times have teams been able to do this?

And yet...people still complain.  Me, I am just loving this team and the situation we are in right now.

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Danny is NOT a top 5 GM!!! He tried to trade 4 first round picks for Justice Winslow for God's sake!

You might have noticed Winslow during Miami's recent resurgence... Wearing street clothes... Because Miami got exponentially better once he went down with an injury.

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2017, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Danny is NOT a top 5 GM!!! He tried to trade 4 first round picks for Justice Winslow for God's sake!

You might have noticed Winslow during Miami's recent resurgence... Wearing street clothes... Because Miami got exponentially better once he went down with an injury.

Oh really? Name me 5 GM's better. Winslow was a big time prospect and I wanted him too.

Those 4 picks were garbage anyway that ended up being players like Rozier and RJ Hunter.

He got lucky that they turned down the trade, so he's got luck on his side too!

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

It's interesting. They apparently have hit season ticket holders with a double-digit percentage increase, so one wonders how acceptable another white-flagged season is going to be.

I think most people would be fine with a good playoff run - win a series or two. And that's not happening the way this team rebounds and defends. Maybe a favorable first round matchup, but the ECF ain't walking through that door.

Ainge didn't have to add Ibaka - although I find the reviews I've read of Rozier's very unremarkable time with the Celtics hilarious; must have been written by someone who posts here regularly.

And the deadline's not here yet.

But if he makes no moves, then it's going to become quite clear the motivation - vastly overvalued "assets."

He didn't make moves because he determined that there was no fit for a reasonable cost. He's managing a business with assets that can set him up for multiple years. He's not playing an 'all in' game to go for it in one/two years as you continually propose. That's a high stakes game, look at the Nets.
He still has options at draft time, free agency time and for the next couple of years. And he's not just trying to find a rebounder....he's searching for a player that fits that can rebound.
Bo don't know.

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2017, 12:48:28 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Grown men get to look quite childish/spoiled when you give them a computer and a blog about the Celtics. Instead of appreciating one of the best rebuilds around, fans want to focus on the fact that the Celtics are not the Warriors.

Have fun haters!

In the meantime, I'm going to appreciate Danny's brilliant moves, Marcus Smart's intense defense, and IT's historic performances.