Author Topic: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games  (Read 11534 times)

Re: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i usually watch celtics games multiple times because the first i'm to caught up in emotions and follow the ball
 as i re watch the dallas game focusing on marcus defense  i stopped after he forced dirk to miss a couple ,switched to a forward and forced another miss
 then he drew a charge
-as i was shaking my head going this guy is priceless,what are all those critics thinking
-i shut it down to savour what i just watched including a three  knowing this would continue and end with a win

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 09:44:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The operative statistic here should be that he's 47.8% from the corners.  The issue isn't him needing to improve from three (although I'll take it if it somehow happens), it's just cutting out all of those ridiculous above-the-key pull-ups from his game.
Not sure that's the one universal fix. Last season, he took a career high 25% of his threes from the corners... and shot career-low 20% on them, full 5 percentage points lower than his overall average.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I am really sure that his shooting will continue to improve.  I think Smart has been playing great with Bradley out and his confidence with the ball has been impressive.

His post up game has been great as well and with spacing it actually is very legitimate.

I really like Bradley but I think Smart with the ball allowing IT to play off ball is what can take this team to the highest level.  Horford and Olynyk as well.  That way teams can't really cover IT.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The operative statistic here should be that he's 47.8% from the corners.  The issue isn't him needing to improve from three (although I'll take it if it somehow happens), it's just cutting out all of those ridiculous above-the-key pull-ups from his game.
Not sure that's the one universal fix. Last season, he took a career high 25% of his threes from the corners... and shot career-low 20% on them, full 5 percentage points lower than his overall average.

Last season he was 5% lower on corner threes than he was on 3s total.  I think it's fair to say that that just has to be a statistical aberration.

He was ~40% from the corners his rookie season as well.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There is hope yet.
Anyone else enjoying watching this guys impact on wins?
He has become my favorite Celtic.
shhh.  you'll wake the Smart-haters that have sworn that he will never improve.  ;)

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Last season he was 5% lower on corner threes than he was on 3s total.  I think it's fair to say that that just has to be a statistical aberration.

Maybe. I've always thought that the deal with Smart is not where he shoots from, but when and how. He seems to take a horrible amount of heat-checks.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2017, 10:54:52 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

Maybe. I've always thought that the deal with Smart is not where he shoots from, but when and how. He seems to take a horrible amount of heat-checks.

I mean, this is just eye-test, but his corner attempts tend to be catch and shoot.  His above the key attempts tend to be pull-ups.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
In the NBA there is a strong correlation between FT% and shooting percentages.  This is generally because free throw shooting is all about form.

So if a player has a good FT shooting percentage, he will generally shoot better from distance.  The thing is that Smart's 74% career FT percentage isn't all that bad.  He should at least be an average shooter, not the 36%/30% that we've seen so far.

Here then is what it probably boils down to - shot selection and finding his spots.

I believe that Marcus takes ill-advised shots.  I've seen him take 3's with just 5 seconds taken off the shot clock.  I've seen him chuck up shots with defenders draped all over him.

He's got to realize he's not Michael Jordan out there, he's not going to make those tough shots at 6'4 in the NBA.  He needs to add some Ray Allen to his game, in terms of running off screens, and finding an open shot.

The other thing is that the 2 point game except for layups and jams should be dead to him.
Especially the long 2 is a very bad shot for Marcus.

Just look at his shooting percentages. 2017 stats from nbareference.com:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01.html#all_shooting

0-3 ft 50.5%
3-10 ft 41.2%
10-16 ft 36.6%
16-<3 25.0%

-A 0-3 ft shot should be automatic for a professional basketball player.  For Marcus it's a coin flip.
-A 3 to 10 foot shot should be a gimme for a professional basketball player.  For Marcus Smart it is a bad percentage play. -9% to previous range.
-A 10 to 16 foot shot would have been money for Brandon Bass or Big Baby, for Marcus Smart it is his Kryptonite. -5% to previous range.
-A long 2, which is now statistically proven to be the worst shot in basketball, is basically a close your eyes and chuck the ball towards the rim shot for Smart.  He should avoid it at all costs cos there are no benefits to ever taking this shot for him.  -11% to previous range.

So what can Smart do to improve his shooting game?
1. Take 1,000 shots a day.  Just like MJ did it.  500 in the mornings. 500 in the afternoon or evening.
2. Get a dedicated shooting coach/trainer or just hire Jaylen Brown's trainer and workout with Jaylen all the time.
3. Find your spots on the floor that are comfortable, and make them your hot zones.
4. Learn to use screens, picks, etc. to get an open shot because in the NBA you're not the tallest or the fastest anymore Marcus.
5. Become craftier with your dribble, so you can use a move to create an open shot instead of a contested shot.
6. As a shorter player you've got to be able to use the reverse layup with either hand consistently.  The rim saves your shot from being blocked.  Use it to your advantage, but you've got to have those shots on lockdown.  As an NBA player there's no excuse to miss layup range shots.
7. Take tips from your own teammate Isaiah Thomas, one of the greatest ever at clearing shots over taller defenders, and learn his tricks.  Learn to do that ridiculous early high floater near the rim from him.
video: https://youtu.be/VBvjaCVnTsA
8.  Take more corner 3's than top of the key 3's.  You've been proven to make the corner 3's at a much higher rate Marcus.  You are making 47.8% of your 3's from the corner.  But only 21.8% of your 3 point attempts are from the corners.  This is simply stupid if you do the math.  You should be taking 80% of your 3's from the corners when you are doing that well at it!!
9.  Play with confidence but play smart, pun intended.  Offensively Marcus is becoming a lot better as a passer.  Now if he could only pick out his own shots with the same intelligence, his efficiency as an offensive scorer could take a quantum leap.  He just hasn't put it all together yet.

The good news is that there's room for improvement and there are tangible, targettable tweaks that Marcus can make to his game to get better.

I mean just look at Avery Bradley and Jae Crowder.  They have grown significantly better as scorers and shooters in Boston.  It's just going to take some time.  And hopefully Smart is already working on most or all of the tips that I suggested.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:00:46 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I mean, this is just eye-test, but his corner attempts tend to be catch and shoot.  His above the key attempts tend to be pull-ups.
i think jvc, you, and koz have good points. smart tends to take too many poorly timed shots from poor locations and often uses poor form.

when he takes shots more within the offense, is not rushed, uses the corners, his percentages are really quite acceptable.

i would assume CBS is working to reign in the "chuck it up" smart.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:07:42 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
-A 0-3 ft shot should be automatic for a professional basketball player.  For Marcus it's a coin flip.
-A 3 to 10 foot shot should be a gimme for a professional basketball player.  For Marcus Smart it is a bad percentage play. -9% to previous range.
-A 10 to 16 foot shot would have been money for Brandon Bass or Big Baby, for Marcus Smart it is his Kryptonite. -5% to previous range.
-A long 2, which is now statistically proven to be the worst shot in basketball, is basically a close your eyes and chuck the ball towards the rim shot for Smart.  He should avoid it at all costs cos there are no benefits to ever taking this shot for him.  -11% to previous range.
I don't even know where to start. Let's just say that this might be true if you're tossing a basketball alone in the backyard, but definitely has nothing to do with the reality of the NBA, where you have actual defenders actually trying to prevent you from scoring the ball.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I don't even know where to start. Let's just say that this might be true if you're tossing a basketball alone in the backyard, but definitely has nothing to do with the reality of the NBA, where you have actual defenders actually trying to prevent you from scoring the ball.
koz, agree with the specifics, but the basic point remains that smart's shooting for mid to long 2 points should be banned.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
I don't think Smarts % will ever Stay high because he doesn't care a bout them.  .4 seconds on the Clock he will chuck it from half court.. for the team..

He plays the game instinctively with reckless abandonment. He is always in "the moment" always competing.. He will not pass up a shot because The forum says its a bad shot.. The dude is the ultimate competitor who has a knack for hitting tough shots.. 

He plays offense like he plays defense, aggressive, bullish, instinctively.

He works on his shot, he has supreme confidence.. He will take the shot, any shot at any time.. Its what we love about him.. 
The guy wins - makes winning plays every time he is on the court.. We just have to live with his constant Heat-checking..  I personally have no problem with it.

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 07:17:46 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I don't think Smarts % will ever Stay high because he doesn't care a bout them.  .4 seconds on the Clock he will chuck it from half court.. for the team..

He plays the game instinctively with reckless abandonment. He is always in "the moment" always competing.. He will not pass up a shot because The forum says its a bad shot.. The dude is the ultimate competitor who has a knack for hitting tough shots.. 

He plays offense like he plays defense, aggressive, bullish, instinctively.

He works on his shot, he has supreme confidence.. He will take the shot, any shot at any time.. Its what we love about him.. 
The guy wins - makes winning plays every time he is on the court.. We just have to live with his constant Heat-checking..  I personally have no problem with it.
He is clutch. His stroke last night was awesome. 8 steals what a player. He has passed Randle for sure and is rising.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Maybe just keep improving his shooting?  Not discounting shot selection but Marcus is getting better at shooting.  That will make some of those bad shots look a whole lot better.

I remain very high on Marcus Smart.

I said in another thread that all he needed to do was make one more shot per game and one more three maybe every other game and he would be in the "efficient" range.  He has been doing that lately.  Let's see if he can keep it up.

Think of it this way.  Even while shooting poorly (or at least below what would be considered efficient) he is a very impactful player.  Imagine if he starts making a shot or two more a game.  He still need to improve (or at least prove) his consistency but I like what I see when Marcus is on the floor.

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Maybe just keep improving his shooting?  Not discounting shot selection but Marcus is getting better at shooting.  That will make some of those bad shots look a whole lot better.

I remain very high on Marcus Smart.

I said in another thread that all he needed to do was make one more shot per game and one more three maybe every other game and he would be in the "efficient" range.  He has been doing that lately.  Let's see if he can keep it up.

Think of it this way.  Even while shooting poorly (or at least below what would be considered efficient) he is a very impactful player.  Imagine if he starts making a shot or two more a game.  He still need to improve (or at least prove) his consistency but I like what I see when Marcus is on the floor.
He could just shoot less as well. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip