Author Topic: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games  (Read 11530 times)

Re: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The operative statistic here should be that he's 47.8% from the corners.  The issue isn't him needing to improve from three (although I'll take it if it somehow happens), it's just cutting out all of those ridiculous above-the-key pull-ups from his game.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Smart is shooting 31.4% in February.  That is 7 games.  He is 3-14 in his last 3 games which is 21.4%.

He did have a better January at 36.7% but both November and December he was under 30%.

This is what Smart does.  He strings together some good games, but then follows them up with downright awful shooting.  You know the definition of a bad shooter.  It doesn't mean every game he will be a bad shooter, but he will always regress to the mean and unfortunately, his mean is terrible.

I love how you have figured out a 22 year old basketball player. You talk about him like he is a 15 year vet.

He has not been a good shooter overall in his first 2.5 years, though he's recently shown some progress. Given this track record, you choose to believe that he will regress?

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 03:14:06 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Smart had another strong game against the Mavericks.

19pts on 6/11 shooting and 3/7 from the 3.

He is growing right in front of our eyes.

If Marcus turns into an 18ppg player with 40% 3pt shooting with his usual terrific defense, he becomes an extremely valuable piece for our franchise.

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Smart is shooting 31.4% in February.  That is 7 games.  He is 3-14 in his last 3 games which is 21.4%.

He did have a better January at 36.7% but both November and December he was under 30%.

This is what Smart does.  He strings together some good games, but then follows them up with downright awful shooting.  You know the definition of a bad shooter.  It doesn't mean every game he will be a bad shooter, but he will always regress to the mean and unfortunately, his mean is terrible.

I love how you have figured out a 22 year old basketball player. You talk about him like he is a 15 year vet.

He has not been a good shooter overall in his first 2.5 years, though he's recently shown some progress. Given this track record, you choose to believe that he will regress?
He wasn't a good shooter in college either.  Smart has shown nothing that says he will be anything more than a poor three point shooter at best and there is plenty of evidence he will be a downright terrible three point shooter because that is what he has been since he left high school (if not before then, which seems likely). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With all that Smart does on the court I can live with him being a bad shooter. Especially, with the step forward he has taken as a pick and roll ball handler this year.

People should enjoy when he has hot shooting stretches, knowing that even when he isn't shooting well he contributes to winning basketball.

I would love to see him end the season at around 35% but if not I know that he is still extremely valuable.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

If Marcus turns into an 18ppg player with 40% 3pt shooting with his usual terrific defense,
he becomes an extremely valuable piece for our franchise.

40% 3pt is not realistic, and should not be a goal we bloggers set to prove Smart's usefulness..

If Smart can put up 12/5/5-6 APG and with stellar First Team All Defense, I think he would be a fringe Allstar.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 03:28:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If Marcus turns into an 18ppg player with 40% 3pt shooting with his usual terrific defense,

40% 3pt is not realistic, and should not be a goal we bloggers set to prove Smart's usefulness..

If Smart can put up 12/5/5-6 APG and with stellar First Team All Defense, I think he would be a fringe Allstar.
He is putting up 10/4/5 with stellar defense at 22 years old, so Id say this is entirely possible.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 03:30:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

He is putting up 10/4/5 with stellar defense at 22 years old, so Id say this is entirely possible.

While I agree, I actually think like Draymond Green, when Smart is placed around deadly scorers and shooters could average.

12/6/8/1.8-2.4 SPG.

Smart is the only player since Rondo that I have truly fell in love with. IT, Crowder, Bradley are also my favorite players, but Smart holds a special place in my heart ever since KG approved of his hustle and leadership.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
There is hope yet.
Anyone else enjoying watching this guys impact on wins?
He has become my favorite Celtic.

I'm a bit confused on the math, can someone send me the raw data of this?
i'm looking his last 9 games... (Detroit till Dallas)

He's taken 39 Threes, and made 13 of them..
That is 33%
Here's what i'm using: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01/gamelog/2017

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He wasn't a good shooter in college either.  Smart has shown nothing that says he will be anything more than a poor three point shooter at best and there is plenty of evidence he will be a downright terrible three point shooter because that is what he has been since he left high school (if not before then, which seems likely).
He will regress and he IS a terrible shooter, but this season his form looks better and more consistent.

The mean he regresses to might be higher than it was last season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There is hope yet.

That is 33%
Here's what i'm using: http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smartma01/gamelog/2017

The 40.6% (should be 40.7%) seems to be based on the 9 games before the Jazz game (HOU to POR), which makes the title of the thread saying "last 9 games" wrong
I'm bitter.

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
There is hope yet.

That is 33%

The 40.7% seems to be based on the 9 games before the Jazz game (HOU to POR), which makes the title of the thread saying "last 9 games" wrong

Yet that's still doesn't equal 40.6%.  It actually equals 41.9%.  So the title is really wrong.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 04:03:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

He will regress and he IS a terrible shooter, but this season his form looks better and more consistent.

The mean he regresses to might be higher than it was last season.
Sure.  Never said it wouldn't be.  His rookie year is still his best shooting season after all. 

Smart is just not a good shooter.  He may not always be historically bad, but he is never going to be good either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Put him in the POST Brad!

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2017, 08:27:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
How about this: 21 games this calendar year (Utah to Dallas) Smart is averaging 11.5 points, 5 assists, 3.8 rebounds, and 2.1 steals per game while shooting .387/.349/.857.

Hopefully more confidence at the FT lines translates to more confidence around the rim as well. It wouldn't be much to push him to something like .420/.360/.850 next season and if he's playing the same defense along with it, that would be fantastic.

Let's not forget he's the same age as Kris Dunn.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008