Author Topic: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games  (Read 11532 times)

Re: Marcus Smart shooting 40.6% from 3 pt line in last 9 games
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Got in an argument with a Jazz fan.

He said to call him when Smart shot better than 30% from deep and that he "peaked like a month ago".

He also claimed the Jazz win every draft pick the select and DA only drafts busts.

Told him to call me when the Jazz win a title, or better yet when the reach the finals or even the WCF. Hasn't replied yet  ;D

Ask him how the Exum pick turned out lol.

He's had these stints before. They're usually followed by a 15 games of shooting 25% from the field.

That is true. He did have astounding 3pt percentages last year when the snowstorm hit last year.

But you can't deny how much better at passing, and improved help defense, Smart has.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:22 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
He's had these stints before. They're usually followed by a 15 games of shooting 25% from the field.

Didn't you say this year's Celtics weren't that good and might top out at 50 wins for a best case scenario?

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Didn't you say this year's Celtics weren't that good and might top out at 50 wins for a best case scenario?

Did you ever foresee Isaiah Thomas putting up MVP numbers?

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Guaranteed he will drop back down. But in fairness to him, his drops always come after an injury. Why doesn't he regain form and shot feel, quicker is the my question.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

With AB out some people did.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 12:33:13 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

On offense I did. It's not like Isaiah has emerged out of nowhere.

The supportive Celtics fans turned out to be correct about the team. Negative people carry on as if they didn't shoot a ton of bricks with their analysis, predictions, Benedict Arnold critiques and trade speculation.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

On offense I did. It's not like Isaiah has emerged out of nowhere.

The supportive Celtics fans turned out to be correct about the team. Negative people carry on as if they didn't shoot a ton of bricks with their analysis, predictions, Benedict Arnold critiques and trade speculation.

Well I need you to guess my lottery numbers lol.

I was always positive of the Celtics, but I was wary, because every championship contender takes time or the right calculated moves/trades.

I felt that our team was going to be better than 50 wins at least.

But 29.8 PPG, 6.3 APG, and 9.2 WS is something I would've never ever assumed IT could put up.

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 01:12:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Small samples are convenient ways to believe what we want to believe.

Sadly, his % in 9 games is meaningless. Remember how he started from 3 his rookie year? Yet he ended at .335. Don't get me wrong -- .335 is not horrible, but the league average is around 35%. Granted, that number skews upward with the best shooters taking bucketloads of shots, but Smart also takes a considerable number of 3s. The league average effective FG% is around 50%, so he is there based on 3s, though his futility from 2 does him no favors.

Over his career, he is 30% from 3. That is bad. 9 games is a drop in the ocean.

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

One thing for sure, I did not see us winning this much with him scoring that much. I knew he could score that much given the touches, but I didn't imagine he could do it that efficiently.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 01:27:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Small samples are convenient ways to believe what we want to believe.

Sadly, his % in 9 games is meaningless. Remember how he started from 3 his rookie year? Yet he ended at .335. Don't get me wrong -- .335 is not horrible, but the league average is around 35%. Granted, that number skews upward with the best shooters taking bucketloads of shots, but Smart also takes a considerable number of 3s. The league average effective FG% is around 50%, so he is there based on 3s, though his futility from 2 does him no favors.

Over his career, he is 30% from 3. That is bad. 9 games is a drop in the ocean.
hence my post that his credible 3 point shooting started back on december 23rd. it is starting to be a credible sample size. let's see if it continues.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Smart is shooting 31.4% in February.  That is 7 games.  He is 3-14 in his last 3 games which is 21.4%.

He did have a better January at 36.7% but both November and December he was under 30%.

This is what Smart does.  He strings together some good games, but then follows them up with downright awful shooting.  You know the definition of a bad shooter.  It doesn't mean every game he will be a bad shooter, but he will always regress to the mean and unfortunately, his mean is terrible.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Marcus Smart is awesome.
I love this guy.

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Did not realize it was this much .  But he clearly is shooting better .

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
He's a hugely valuable player already who's going to be one of the most coveted guards in the league if he can continue to improve his jumpshot.

Smart is far from a finished product. He's about to turn 23.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I have a few questions.

Where is that 40.6% number coming from?  Since it was posted this morning 2/14, I'd assume the 9th game is the Dallas game from last night.  Here's Smart's 3 point shooting over his last 9 games:

@   MIL   0/1
   DET   2/3
   TOR   1/5
   LAL   2/5
   LAC   3/5
@   SAC   2/6
@   POR   0/2
@   UTA   0/5
@   DAL   3/7

That's 13/39 for 33.3%.  If we use a simple average instead of a weighted average, it's even lower at 29.2%.

Maybe OP used stats that weren't updated for the Dallas game, but then his average only increases to 34.2%.

And why was this 9 game number used?  Seems odd because it's spans both Jan and Feb so it's not like OP just went with the current month or current road trip or since Smart become a starter or came back from injury, etc.  But more importantly the 2 games before his last 9 Smart actually shot well from 3, going 1/1 against Houston and 2/3 against Orlando, so why would you exclude them from this stat?  But even adding those 2 games into the mix for his last 11 total, Smart's still only shot 37.2%. from 3.

FYI- my stats were taken from basketball-reference.

So in conclusion, the stats are wrong and the time frame used doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:50:31 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class