Author Topic: Even Danny Knows There Is No Trade This Season To Make BOS Contenders...  (Read 12008 times)

Re: Even Danny Knows There Is No Trade This Season To Make BOS Contenders...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 12:37:23 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Why would you not make a Butler or George trade should the opportunity present itself? Follow that up with an Ibaka or Noel trade and all of a sudden you're probably in the ECF. The people who want to plan for 5-7 years from now in a league where one player trade, one draft choice overachiever/underachiever, a free agent coming or going, or a career ending injury change everything totally baffle me.

Welcome to my corner of the blog. You are quite correct. If the moves are there, make them.

Right. If the moves are there to get to the ECF the next 3 years, let's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. 12 years of contending.

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 02:16:21 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Why would you not make a Butler or George trade should the opportunity present itself? Follow that up with an Ibaka or Noel trade and all of a sudden you're probably in the ECF. The people who want to plan for 5-7 years from now in a league where one player trade, one draft choice overachiever/underachiever, a free agent coming or going, or a career ending injury change everything totally baffle me.

Welcome to my corner of the blog. You are quite correct. If the moves are there, make them.

Right. If the moves are there to get to the ECF the next 3 years, let's **** 12 years of contending.

LeBron James will be old and worn out in those 3 years, thus being more vulnerable. He doesn't have DWade and Chris Bosh to bail on him. Kyrie is what to IT4? Lol! The Celtics will be in the finals barring no injuries. Them facing the Warriors will be a different story though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2017, 02:23:05 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Zero critical thought in that statement.

Welcome to his 'corner of the blog.'  ;)

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 09:10:39 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I trust in Danny.

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
This is why DA stays put and drafts, to build the team for the long haul. He sees that in two or so years, they will be kings in the east and ready to dominate.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 04:32:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Right. If the moves are there to get to the ECF the next 3 years, let's **** 12 years of contending.

What a bunch of nonsense. Where are the guarantees this team will ever contend?

I just shake my head sadly at those of you who are as fascinated with the draft as you are.

You're going to be SO disappointed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 04:45:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

What a bunch of nonsense. Where are the guarantees this team will ever contend?

I just shake my head sadly at those of you who are as fascinated with the draft as you are.

You're going to be SO disappointed.
I think we are very well set up right now and for the future.

We have the assets and players to be very good today or be very good in 5 years, or even both if we play our card a certain way.

For me this means you dont pick a path and then make moves according to that plan. Instead you make strictly good moves without panicking or forcing a type of move. Let the best available moves dictate the path you take.

I have a problem with people who refuse to make a move unless it makes you the clear cut best team in the NBA. If you do that then you will find yourself sitting on piles of piles of 21 year old kids just "waiting" for the magic move that doesnt exist to vault you to guaranteed championships.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

If the posters who want to adopt a 5-7 year plan baffle me, the 12 year planners truly astonish me.

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

If the posters who want to adopt a 5-7 year plan baffle me, the 12 year planners truly astonish me.

Odds are reasonably good we make the ECF this year without any moves.  Make a move if it's good value.  If not, play the hand we've got.  Either way we're in good shape.

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Hypothetically adding Cousins *might* make us better than Cleveland.

Still 50/50 on Warriors though.

However looks like Cousins is staying put for now.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Hypothetically adding Cousins *might* make us better than Cleveland.

Still 50/50 on Warriors though.

However looks like Cousins is staying put for now.
Lets be very clear. If any deal makes you "50/50 on Warriors" it should be done yesterday.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
How do you beat Cleveland and GS? You can't compete directly with their main strengths. But these teams do have weak spots around the edges.

Both teams have hyper skilled point guards, but neither team has elite quickness at guard. We already have the quickest guards in the league in IT and AB.

Cousins would give us a similar edge up front. Tristan Thompson and Draymond Green are just too active and quick for Horford and Amir to deal with, but if we could add Cousins , I think we win the war up front too, and by a significant margin.

I think Cousins would make us competitive against those two teams right now.

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge isn’t sure if there’s a deal out there that can put the Celtics over the top and turn them into a championship contender this season, but said he does believe in miracles.

Classic bargaining maneuver, to lower expectations and to get offers.

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Jimmy Butler and no one else is certainly not putting us past GSW or CLE.

Maybe Butler + Tucker/O'Quinn gets us close to CLE, that's it.

And given what it took to get Cousins, I doubt Ainge is willing to give up a ton. If it means no deal now, then no deal. Try again in the summer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/02/09/celtics-danny-ainge-nba-trades-toucher-and-rich/

Ainge isn’t sure if there’s a deal out there that can put the Celtics over the top and turn them into a championship contender this season, but said he does believe in miracles.

“I have a great deal of respect for the teams in this league. Golden State is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. I think that’s going to be very challenging, but very possible,” he said. “I believe in miracles.”

And this is why I support the idea of only doing a smaller deal like one for Ibaka or someone similar (an expiring rebounding big or cheap rebounding big).

We'll hear the rumors, but unless somehow there's two trades lined up for stars (ex. Butler + Cousins - pipe dream I know), there's no trade now that puts us in Golden State's level. We *could* beat Cleveland if we add a star and make a minor trade for a BIG (ex. Butler + Ibaka/Noel), but still not enough to beat Golden State.

Even if they do make a trade for a star, it will cost A TON in assets. Maybe their prices go down in the Summer/DraftDay with the BKN Pick hopefully landing #1 or #2, but at the deadline, I doubt they lower their already-high prices.

I trust Ainge completely to make the right move, but I still hope he does a small move. I'd rather make a somewhat cheap trade for Ibaka than do absolutely nothing honestly (but maybe I'm just sounding greedy here lol).

Celtics are still 2-3 years away IMO, but as Lebron gets older (will be around 35-36 y/o 3 years from now), and Warriors cool off a bit (can they even afford to keep a whole team + bench after maxing Curry + Durant, and with Klay needing a contract soon?), hopefully our picks develop well, we extend IT+Smart w/Bird Rights, and become legit contenders hopefully for years to come.

Actually there is a trade that puts you on Golden States level.

DeAndre Jordan.

Better fit than a malcontent Boogie Cousins.