Author Topic: Brook Lopez to Pelicans picking up traction  (Read 7177 times)

Re: Brook Lopez to Pelicans picking up traction
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 03:10:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Small ball and streaky shooting is a great equalizer to mediocrity. Just ask ... us from 2014. 

Let me explain. Lavert and RHJ don't look like all-stars, but they do look like solid role players that are versatile in many ways. But with Lin out, they have relied on WHITEHEAD as their primary creator.

Evans and Frazier would immediately be the best two creators on this team. This team would be able to roll out a lineup of Evans-Galloway-Lavert-RHJ-Booker. That's not a playoff team, but that is an interesting small ball team that could switch everything and occasionally get hot from outside.

That is a demonstratively better team than this year. In this NBA, if you don't have the talent to fit a big man, you are better if you go small ball with lesser players. It's just the way it is.

And I'm still a pretty big believer in Evans game. This guy has upped his 3 point shooter and is still a top level driver and athlete.

Evans is a free agent this summer. He was thrown in for salary cap savings, no way he stays in Brooklyn.

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Honestly, reading about rumors like this I feel bad for the Pelicans fans.

They have a near-transcendent talent in Anthony Davis, and yet they are thinking of sending a first-rounder, as well as one of their only decent guards (Evans) for Brook Lopez.

If they do acquire Lopez, they are further hampering their ability to improve in the future. I really don't see how they can build a contender around Davis. I would be very angry with the organization if I were him.

Has there ever been a more hopeless situation for a team with a young superstar?

Kings with Cousins?

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Small ball and streaky shooting is a great equalizer to mediocrity. Just ask ... us from 2014. 

Let me explain. Lavert and RHJ don't look like all-stars, but they do look like solid role players that are versatile in many ways. But with Lin out, they have relied on WHITEHEAD as their primary creator.

Evans and Frazier would immediately be the best two creators on this team. This team would be able to roll out a lineup of Evans-Galloway-Lavert-RHJ-Booker. That's not a playoff team, but that is an interesting small ball team that could switch everything and occasionally get hot from outside.

That is a demonstratively better team than this year. In this NBA, if you don't have the talent to fit a big man, you are better if you go small ball with lesser players. It's just the way it is.

And I'm still a pretty big believer in Evans game. This guy has upped his 3 point shooter and is still a top level driver and athlete.

Evans is a free agent this summer. He was thrown in for salary cap savings, no way he stays in Brooklyn.

I'm not convinced that's true. Brooklyn would likely offer his a max contract to keep him. What other team would do that? Brooklyn would also give him the ball, a lot. What other team would do that/

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm not convinced that's true. Brooklyn would likely offer his a max contract to keep him. What other team would do that? Brooklyn would also give him the ball, a lot. What other team would do that/

It would make me happy.  This is a player that has played only 24 of 51 games and averaging 17.6 minutes a game.

Last year, 25 games played.

Please waste as much cap space as possible next year on him. 

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 04:33:13 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
To me it is stunning how much worse this would make Brooklyn. The purported pick isn't until 2018.  NOP might actually be good that season if they have the twin towers of Davis and Lopez.  I think this would be great news for the Celtics if it were to happen but I have my doubts about the validity of this one so I am not going to get too excited.

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 04:41:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm surprised that teams like Denver (Jocic) and NO (Davis) with valuable bigs feel the need to get another big to play along side them, especially guys who are more traditional centers.  I may be missing something. Isn't the trend (GS, and us) to get away from those guys, especially if you have someone who can already rebound, defend bigs and hit the 3?

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm surprised that teams like Denver (Jocic) and NO (Davis) with valuable bigs feel the need to get another big to play along side them, especially guys who are more traditional centers.  I may be missing something. Isn't the trend (GS, and us) to get away from those guys, especially if you have someone who can already rebound, defend bigs and hit the 3?
trends only continue until someone figures out how to beat them.  just for a giggle, say NO gets to the #8 seed if they get Lopez.  picture how much difficulty GS will have trying to handle both Lopez and Davis down low. 

GS can't have a hot shooting night every night -- live by the 3, die by the 3.  we see it enough with our C's.  difference for GS is that they have better shooters and more of them than we do.

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
trends only continue until someone figures out how to beat them.  just for a giggle, say NO gets to the #8 seed if they get Lopez.  picture how much difficulty GS will have trying to handle both Lopez and Davis down low. 

GS can't have a hot shooting night every night -- live by the 3, die by the 3.  we see it enough with our C's.  difference for GS is that they have better shooters and more of them than we do.

Pelicans will have a nightmare guarding Durant, Curry, and Klay in the pick and rolls.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 04:52:15 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

They have a near-transcendent talent in Anthony Davis, and yet they are thinking of sending a first-rounder, as well as one of their only decent guards (Evans) for Brook Lopez.

If they do acquire Lopez, they are further hampering their ability to improve in the future. I really don't see how they can build a contender around Davis. I would be very angry with the organization if I were him.

Has there ever been a more hopeless situation for a team with a young superstar?

Kings with Cousins?

You know things are bad when your organization is as poorly run as Sacramento's.

But at least the Pels didn't give away IT  for nothing, right?

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

Kings with Cousins?

You know things are bad when your organization is as poorly run as Sacramento's.

But at least the Pels didn't give away IT  for nothing, right?

Perhaps, the Pels are so terrible that they've never had an IT to give away for nothing.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 05:17:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It isn't a trend just because one team with 4 All NBA caliber players doesn't fit that mold. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 05:19:55 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
If this rumor is true, then I'm guessing the Pelicans lost out on Okafor.

Or somebody in New Orleans floated the rumor to put pressure on the 76ers.

Mike

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/brook-lopez-headlines-pelicans-and-nets-trade-talks/

Evans, Galloway, Frazier, 2018 protected 1st for Lopez is basic framework

That seems like a good haul for the Nets.  They desperately need to get as many draft picks as they possibly can.  I would trade every player on their team for draft picks.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

I'm pretty sure they'll be fine given that Lopez can guard absolutely nobody on the death lineup.  He'll get dragged out of the perimeter for wide open threes/layups galore. 

Great words from a great man

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 05:53:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/brook-lopez-headlines-pelicans-and-nets-trade-talks/

Evans, Galloway, Frazier, 2018 protected 1st for Lopez is basic framework

That seems like a good haul for the Nets.  They desperately need to get as many draft picks as they possibly can.  I would trade every player on their team for draft picks.

Agreed.

They should even go as far as taking long contracts from teams who want those salaries gone for draft pick compensation in the future. There's no scenario in which they will be really good in two years unless their players miraculously pan out. Might as well swallow some contracts and get paid some draft picks for the trouble.

At least at around 2019, they can start a rebuild with a lot more assets.

Take Luol Deng or Timofey Mozgov away from the Lakers for a protected 2019 pick or something. Take Meyers Leonard, Evan Turner or Allen Crabbe (who they wanted anyway) for a 2018 first just so they'd have a 1st rounder. Take Greg Monroe from the Bucks if they'l be willing to give some future 1st. Something like that.

And start trading anyone that can net good assets, like Brook Lopez, or Trevor Booker (who maybe helpful to a contender as a backup PF).
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace