Poll

Who would be a better fit for the Celtics?

Jimmy Butler
7 (31.8%)
Paul George
15 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Butler vs George Trade  (Read 4274 times)

Re: Butler vs George Trade
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I'd rather tamper with Hayward and convince him to sign without giving up any assets.

Even with having to pay Hayward $10 million more per year? The Celtics would have a log jam at SF with Hayward, Crowder, Brown and  also one at the Guard position with Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Brooklyn pick(BPA, most likely a guard) They won't be able to afford to keep everyone.

There's the same log jam with Butler or George. If I had to choose between Hayward + BRK pick + other assets versus George / Butler, I think it's a no brainer. If we've got too many good players, trade some for big man help.

Hayward is the most efficient, and he scores the most per possession.

There wouldn't be a log jam, since Bradley and Crowder would be traded for either Butler or Hayward. If they sign Hayward for around $30 million/year, there were would be $90 million dollars tied up in Horford, Hayward, Thomas(assuming they retain). Then Bradley and Smart are free agents after next season and will be worth around $20-25 million/ year. I like Hayward too, but the Butler and George contracts seem to be a bargain at this point.

Then trade Bradley or Crowder for additional assets.

I'd rather spend an extra $10 million and keep a potential cost-controlled superstar in the BRK pick.

Think you're right, the more I think about it... Even if they made a trade tomorrow for George/Butler, they are not getting by Cleveland this year and probably not next year either. So why sacrifice the pick. If they Sign Hayward in the off season, they would potentially have a future core of J. Brown, Fultz/Ball, and the 2018 BKN pick. The Celtics could be the best team in the east in 2 years with a Thomas, Hayward, Horford core and they would have a bright future with the young guys as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think George is better but he's been off this year and Idk what's up with that.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
If Hayward was a 100% certainty then no don't trade for these two.  Unfortunately it's not a guarantee and the odds are low.  However, if we odds work out for us and we sign Hayward and still have our picks we could easily trade AB and Mickey for Faried.  Obviously the best option is if Hayward signs with us, but the safest would be to trade for PG or Butler now.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 07:44:40 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
I think George is better but he's been off this year and Idk what's up with that.

Thats probably the only reason he's available though.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 07:53:27 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
There are 209 million reasons why Gordon Hayward isn't going anywhere.

Utah are paying a grand total of Gobert, Lyles, and Burks. Its not like they cant fit a big max in to retain that reasonable core together.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 07:55:15 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I think without the lottery and if teams already know the Brooklyn pick is a sureball number 1 pick then they would all be lining up and asking for that bBrooklyn pick..yes even Bird might give up PG for it.

Sadly its still a lottery in the end and we just dont know where the Brooklyn pick ends up...the moment the Cavs won the lottery was the turning point of the Love trade and same thing could happen this yr....I don't think that 2017 brooklyn puck is going anywhere until after theyve drawn the pingpong balls.

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 06:45:00 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
There are 209 million reasons why Gordon Hayward isn't going anywhere.

Well, in that case we should not go on with that possibility  ::)