Poll

Who would be a better fit for the Celtics?

Jimmy Butler
7 (31.8%)
Paul George
15 (68.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Butler vs George Trade  (Read 4248 times)

Butler vs George Trade
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
With the trade deadline only a few weeks away, who do you think would be a better fit for the Celtics/Why and what would it take?

Both players are similar statistically:

Jimmy Butler:24.5 PPG 1.8 STL 4.8 AST 6.4 RPG  FT 86% 3P 34.1% FG 45.5% MPG 36.6
PER 25.5
Current Contract: 2016/17-$17,552,209    $18,696,918    $19,841,627    $19,841,627
Age 27

Paul George:22.5 PPG 1.6 STL 3.3 AST 6.1 RPG FT 91% 3P 38.1% FG 45.2%  MPG 35.6 
PER 19.0
Current Contract: 2016/17-$18,100,000    $19,300,000    Player option-$20,500,000    
Age 26

Would a package of: Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Brooklyn 2017 pick be enough to get either of them?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:11:08 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Butler vs George Trade
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm not sure what it would take to get either guy. Indiana, especially, seems like they don't want to part with Paul George, and he's the guy I'd rather have.

He's younger, more athletic, a better outside shooter, and he seems like a more natural leader, to me. He's also a little bit bigger and can play PF in certain lineups if needed.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:56:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Those deals may get it close to done but I wouldn't do them. That would end up being more of a lateral move than a move that gets us into contention.

I would love to have either (no true preference), but PG13 is also a bit more of a rebounder, and can play the 4.

I do think PG13 is essentially untouchable to Bird, and the price to get him would be higher than Butler (and the price for Butler is high as well).

EDIT: Maybe you should add a poll, Butler vs George, to get a better idea?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'd rather tamper with Hayward and convince him to sign without giving up any assets.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:28 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
No way I include both Bradley and Crowder.  Bradley and Nets 2018, plus some filler like a lesser 1st and maybe Rozier.  I think both PG and JB have a similar value.  If I'm Ainge I only do a deal if I really come out ahead.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I'd rather tamper with Hayward and convince him to sign without giving up any assets.

Even with having to pay Hayward $10 million more per year? The Celtics would have a log jam at SF with Hayward, Crowder, Brown and  also one at the Guard position with Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Brooklyn pick(BPA, most likely a guard) They won't be able to afford to keep everyone.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Even with having to pay Hayward $10 million more per year? The Celtics would have a log jam at SF with Hayward, Crowder, Brown and  also one at the Guard position with Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Brooklyn pick(BPA, most likely a guard) They won't be able to afford to keep everyone.

There's the same log jam with Butler or George. If I had to choose between Hayward + BRK pick + other assets versus George / Butler, I think it's a no brainer. If we've got too many good players, trade some for big man help.

Hayward is the most efficient, and he scores the most per possession.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Assuming they cost the same, I'd prefer Butler.  I like that extra year on his contract.  He also has a significantly better ast/tov ratio and he gets to the line nearly twice as much.  Having two of the top players at getting to the line would be a big plus in the playoffs.       

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

There's the same log jam with Butler or George. If I had to choose between Hayward + BRK pick + other assets versus George / Butler, I think it's a no brainer. If we've got too many good players, trade some for big man help.

He is also the worst defender by far.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's got the best defensive rating, though.

Hayward + Fultz + Bradley or Butler/George. That's not a hard decision.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

There wouldn't be a log jam, since Bradley and Crowder would be traded for either Butler or George. If they sign Hayward for around $30 million/year, there were would be $90 million dollars tied up in Horford, Hayward, Thomas(assuming they retain). Then Bradley and Smart are free agents after next season and will be worth around $20-25 million/ year. I like Hayward too, but the Butler and George contracts seem to be a bargain at this point and what big men would be a good fit for a trade within the next year?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:17:16 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 05:10:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

There wouldn't be a log jam, since Bradley and Crowder would be traded for either Butler or Hayward. If they sign Hayward for around $30 million/year, there were would be $90 million dollars tied up in Horford, Hayward, Thomas(assuming they retain). Then Bradley and Smart are free agents after next season and will be worth around $20-25 million/ year. I like Hayward too, but the Butler and George contracts seem to be a bargain at this point.

Then trade Bradley or Crowder for additional assets.

I'd rather spend an extra $10 million and keep a potential cost-controlled superstar in the BRK pick.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

There wouldn't be a log jam, since Bradley and Crowder would be traded for either Butler or George. If they sign Hayward for around $30 million/year, there were would be $90 million dollars tied up in Horford, Hayward, Thomas(assuming they retain). Then Bradley and Smart are free agents after next season and will be worth around $20-25 million/ year. I like Hayward too, but the Butler and George contracts seem to be a bargain at this point.

Then trade Bradley or Crowder for additional assets.

I'd rather spend an extra $10 million and keep a potential cost-controlled superstar in the BRK pick.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 05:43:49 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

He's got the best defensive rating, though.

Hayward + Fultz + Bradley or Butler/George. That's not a hard decision.
Do you believe Hayward's defense to even be comparable to George or Butler?

Alos, while Hayward + Fultz + Bradley vs. Butler/George isnt a hard decision. You only have a 25% chance at Fultz (but this is mitigated by the fact you are garunteed one of Ball Tatum Jackson Isaac Fultz). Also, what are the odds Hayward leaves the team hes been with his whole career? a team on pace for 51 wins and the 4 seed in the West? Pretty slim Id say. Even with Brad Stevens in place here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
First of all, I doubt Utah gets past the first round in the West and it will likely make Hayward think about a change of scenery, so I think we will have our chances.

I would do, and I've said it since I started to have fun writing here, the same Roy says. You sign Hayward, if possible, to some years, get a very high pick to some years of affordable rookie scale contract and THEN think.

Bradley, despite I like him, should be moved to capitalize him as an asset, together with the Clippers 2019 pick and our own 2018 or 2019 for a big. A BIG, a body, an enforcer. A kind of Gortat, Bogut (on S&T) or something veteran to show Zizic the tricks to succeed here. Then, a very difficult think. Extend IT to a 30-million contract or trade him to make room for Fultz/Ball/whoever and get that big in return? It may depend on his performance against the best in the postseason.

I assume Marcus will resign here using his Bird Rights and the roster will be filled with cheap veterans such as Green and rookie-scaled youngsters like Demetrius or Yabu.

I don't think overpaying for Butler or George not to get past Cleveland or GSW is useless and short-place thinking.