3 (27.3%)
Boston says no
6 (54.5%)
Philly says no
2 (18.2%)
Chicago says no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Trade Idea: Boston/Chicago/Philly  (Read 2499 times)

Trade Idea: Boston/Chicago/Philly
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:12:56 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
The trade:

Boston: Butler, Noel, Covington

Chicago: Okafor, Brown, 2017 Boston/Brooklyn swap pick, 2019 Memphis pick

Philly: Bradley, Zeller, Rozier, 2019 Clippers pick

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gp3m6fw

Why Boston does it:

While the thought of adding a Fultz or Ball to this team is nice, I've become more and more convinced that we are set for a long time at the PG position with IT and Smart. Though neither of them are perfect players, they've both proven that they significantly impact winning even while being a bad defender (IT) and a bad shooter (Smart). Trading Bradley in this scenario also helps us be able to retain both of these guys next year, too.

And while losing Brown would hurt, we can only hope that he'll ever be as good as Butler is now. Butler provides us with that secondary (clutch) scorer behind IT, and he also gives us much more size in the starting lineup, along with elite perimeter D. Noel gives us elite all around D in his shot blocking and perimeter defense, along with a more natural fit alongside Horford. Finally, Covington is the perfect complement to the bench with his 3 and D style and would fit ideally with Smart, Green, KO, JJ, and Amir. This lineup would be a real threat to dethrone Cleveland and win it all:

PG: IT, Smart
SG: Butler, Green
SF: Crowder, Covington
PF: Horford, KO/JJ
C: Noel, Amir

No team is going to want to face an 8 man playoff rotation of IT, Butler, Crowder, Horford, Noel, Smart, Covington, and Noel. And this isn't even mentioning our small ball units we can throw out there (IT, Smart, Butler, Crowder, Horford) or our defensive units (Smart, Butler, Covington, Crowder, Noel) or our offensive/shooting units (IT, Green, Crowder, KO, Horford). This is an excellent two-way team that has a TON of versatility, which is the exact type of team that Brad can take to the championship.

Why Chicago does it:

They're an ill-fitting, mediocre team that is merely first round fodder; the coach is on the hot seat; the locker room is a mess; management dislikes Jimmy Butler and vice versa; Wade is set to opt out in the summer and go elsewhere; and the management was just reassured that they'll be retained this summer no matter what route they go.

All of this points to the inevitable divorce of Butler and the Bulls. Right now there's been reports of a ridiculous asking price of both Brooklyn picks and two of Jaylen, Bradley, Crowder, and Smart. But everyone knows this is unrealistic, and the price will naturally come down significantly around the deadline or when teams start getting serious in their talks. They've also recently engaged the Sixers in trade talks for Okafor, who they covet, and it's known that they have interest in Jaylen and the 2017 Brooklyn pick, or at least have interest in them. This trade would give them two star-level prospects (more so Jaylen than Okafor), a draft pick that will most likely get them  another star-level player, and another potential lottery pick in 2019. That's a good haul for Jimmy, who they don't necessarily want to build around anyways.

Why Philly does it:

They're actively trying to trade Okafor right now, and Noel has been on the block for basically this whole year. They really have no use for either of them with Embiid, Holmes, and their other bigs, and they really want to get some value back for them before Noel gets priced out of their range this summer and Okafor becomes untradable from hardly being used or being used out improperly off of Philly's bench.

Bradley, Rozier, and the Clips pick represents about as good of value as they're going to get from either of these two at the moment. Bradley is about as perfect of a fit for them as possible, and they can extend him this summer with cap space to lock him up long term. And at their range of the draft they're probably looking at someone like Dennis Smith Jr., who would seemingly be a pretty terrific fit next to Bradley in the backcourt. Having Bradley also gives them more flexibility in the draft, because they can pick up a wing like Jackson if they feel he is the best player available when they're picking, which would still fill a need for them and not leave them with a barren backcourt.

To me, this is a pretty fair, well-rounded deal that gets each team something they want at a pretty good price. So what do you think?

Re: Trade Idea: Boston/Chicago/Philly
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:23:20 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Too much

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 03:51:58 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I don't know why people on here keep saying that offers are too much.  In any trade where we get Noel, Butler, and Covington in the same trade and we keep Brooklyn's 2018 1st we are bit giving up too much.
 On paper this trade looks great, and honestly this is almost so realistic it probably won't happen.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:12:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pass. Noel is going to be a RFA not giving up a 1st and players for him. Butler isn't worth the Nets 2017 pick alone imo. Chicago makes out like a bandit in that deal. 

PS.
Acutally if that is all it took to get Okafor and Noel I'd do that deal with 76ers. JJ and AJ would be gone next year. Pass on Butler part.

IT/Smart
Brown/Fultz
Crowder/ Covington
Horford/KO/Yab
Noel/Okafor/Zizic

Center becomes a strength position.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:26:38 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 11:41:23 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Just do this deal instead.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jjwxssp

2018 Nets 1st, 2018 Celtics 1st, and 2017 Wolves 2nd go to the Bulls.

Some may prefer to ship Bradley over Crowder, which I understand. The principle structure remains the same.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hate this trade proposal of the OP. Feel we give away two players each of whom has a very good shot of being better than Butler.

Any trade for Butler is an over-pay. For what purpose? To lose to CLE or GS in a 5 games series? I'd rather be patient and grow organically.  There are no KG's out there. Unless someone like AD became available (which won't happen), I don't want anyone if it means mortgaging our future. 

And that goes for Cousins. Getting him would be a colossal mistake.  You can't have Cousins and Horford in the same lineup, we'd get killed by small ball.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 12:10:04 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Hate this trade proposal of the OP. Feel we give away two players each of whom has a very good shot of being better than Butler.

Any trade for Butler is an over-pay. For what purpose? To lose to CLE or GS in a 5 games series? I'd rather be patient and grow organically.  There are no KG's out there. Unless someone like AD became available (which won't happen), I don't want anyone if it means mortgaging our future. 

And that goes for Cousins. Getting him would be a colossal mistake.  You can't have Cousins and Horford in the same lineup, we'd get killed by small ball.
[/quote"

How can you say that either player has a very good chance to be better than Butler?  Butler is a top 15 to 20 player with a great all around game.  That's a HUGE step up and speculation for either Brown or the top pick....

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Take Chicago out of the deal and just do the part with Philly.  We lose Bradley but get a defensive center in Noel and a scoring big off the bench in Okafor.  Bradley won't be retained IMO when he becomes a free agent and we have been playing great without him as Brown and Smart have stepped up.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

[/quote"

How can you say that either player has a very good chance to be better than Butler?  Butler is a top 15 to 20 player with a great all around game.  That's a HUGE step up and speculation for either Brown or the top pick....

I disagree. It is reasonable to project Brown to become that good. And he is more athletically gifted than Brown. As for the fact we are more likely than not, as of today, to land a top 3 pick, I think anyone of those guys (Fultz, Ball and Jackson) has a reasonable chance to exceed Jimmy Butler as a player. I'm not just talking stats here.  They may not achieve the same scoring average, but that is just one factor to consider. All three of those guys have special skills that project to do well in the NBA. Beyond what Butler brings to the table.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
TP. Seems like a reasonable well thought out proposal. I can't understand how posters believe that you can acquire elite players like Butler without giving up valuable assets.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 02:20:27 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
I can't see the Sixers making the trade.  Zeller, Rozier and the Clips 2019 pick aren't worth much.  Bradley would be a nice fit with Simmons/Embiid but he's only got one more year on his contract so they'll either have to overpay to keep him or lose him.   

With Embiid's injury risk, I can't see them trading both Okafor and Noel unless they get a really good return or at least a decent big man who can occasionally start.  I like Holmes but he's just a 3rd center at this point.  Don't see them trading Covington either.  He'll fit really well with Simmons/Embiid.   

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Very good offer.

Philly:  LAC could be on the decline enough by 2019 (CP3 aging, will Blake stay?) for that pick to have som value.  Bradley would be the perfect fit on that team as the point guard defender with Simmons running point on offense.  He's also got some good veteran experience and a hard nosed work ethic mentality that would be very valuable to the young players there.

Chicago:  I think that Okafor and Brooklyn 2017 is about as good of a return package as they can actually hope to acquire if they are set on moving Butler.  (I think it makes sense to at this point)

Boston:  Probably is getting the most questionable end of the deal.  I don't know if I love the idea of throwing a few of our major future assets all together right now for Butler and Noel.  I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.  I kind of just want to let them all play out and develop and see where the future bring us.  But if management thinks Butler is "the missing piece", I don't hate the deal and I think Noel would be a sneakily good addition as our center for the future.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 12:43:51 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
A heist for Chicago
and a no go for Philly.

Could try it instead with:

Boston:  Butler, Noel, Covington

Chicago:  Okafor, Brown, Celtics 2018 first, Memphis 2019 first, 2017 second round pick (best one or as many as they want)

Philly:  Bradley, Olynyk, Rozier, Zeller, 2019 Clippers pick

Celtics keep both Brooklyn picks.  Chicago can suck it if they want more than two guys taken top 4 and 2 firsts.