Author Topic: Fans take on George godfather offer (idea)  (Read 4065 times)

Fans take on George godfather offer (idea)
« on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Really simple,

If DA was to call Bird and lay it all out there Jaylen, Smart, Zeller and both Nets picks for George how would the fans react.

Its a lot to offer but would leave the Cs with a roster that would likely start IT, AB, PG, Amir and Horford with Crowder taking the role of super 30+mpg sub. Finishing lineup would see PG move to PF. This would also open up space for a potential buy out big man or Larry Sanders and a Nader or vet SF signing. The bench would still have KO, Rozier, and JJ.

The Pacers would hit the ground running with a rebuild. Adding Smart and Jaylen to Turner plus the Nets picks would make the Pacers a top team of the future. Bird is a proven strong drafter would could realistically build a power house in 5 years. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Fans take on George godfather offer (idea)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 10:06:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think fans would be upset, trading our entire future while still being left with a roster with major holes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I wouldn't like it at all.

Let's say Paul George has another bad injury. You have mortgaged ten years of our future for one player. Yes, ten years: Brown, Smart, a top-4 pick and another presumably top-7 pick (Nets 2018).

Well, it's not that I wouldn't like it at all. I think it would be insane  :(

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Too much
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Terrible reaction. By me for sure.

Delusion is that we would then have 3 super stars like the big 3. Horford is no KG and IT is too weak defensively for this analogy to work.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would we want to enable Bird to build a powerhouse in 5 years, in the same conference no less?  I would rather DA keeps those players and builds a powerhouse here in Boston in 5 years.

Same thing applies to ANY Philly deal.  Embiid has proven to be a player to build around.  Don't enable them by giving them what they need.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Really simple,

If DA was to call Bird and lay it all out there Jaylen, Smart, Zeller and both Nets picks for George how would the fans react.

Its a lot to offer but would leave the Cs with a roster that would likely start IT, AB, PG, Amir and Horford with Crowder taking the role of super 30+mpg sub. Finishing lineup would see PG move to PF. This would also open up space for a potential buy out big man or Larry Sanders and a Nader or vet SF signing. The bench would still have KO, Rozier, and JJ.

The Pacers would hit the ground running with a rebuild. Adding Smart and Jaylen to Turner plus the Nets picks would make the Pacers a top team of the future. Bird is a proven strong drafter would could realistically build a power house in 5 years.

Ainge wins trades most of time and would never be as desperate as you are to propose this trade.  Bird is shrewd and I doubt he goes low or helps like McHale did.  It is a bad trade for a team that would still get exposed by good frontcourts.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
You don't make a godfather offer for a star who will opt out after next season.  He grew up near Los Angeles.  Imagine if we made that godfather deal and then he left us for the Lakers or Clippers.  We'll have plenty of cap space to sign George in free agency in two years if he wants to come here.  The most I'd trade for George now would be Crowder or Bradley, Nets 2017 and Memphis 2019 with filler. 

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:51:43 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'd do that for Anthony Davis, but thats pretty much it. with a potential of Smart/Fultz,Bell,Jackson/Brown/Yabu/Ziric in three years, that has potential to be a strong core. And while 2018 is a bit out, it looks like the top 5 have some bigs with potential.

I know everyone is chomping at the bit to be a legit contender now, but as an artist, when you rush some thing it tends to be a lesser version of what it would have been if you would have taken a few more moments on.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think fans would be upset, trading our entire future while still being left with a roster with major holes.

I agree, George isn't KG, he isn't worth our entire farm and prospects

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:18:38 PM »

Offline Real World

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Ainge should be fired if he offered that for Paul George.   What are you winning with Paul George on this team?  Not the east, and certainly not a title.   George is a very good player, but like Butler, he isn't taking you to the promise land.  I'd much rather send a couple of non-Nets 1st rounders to the Knicks for Melo (and I dislike Melo), than I would send a massive overpay for either Butler or George.   Butler and George are better all around players than Melo, but are they top of the draft, Nets picks better?  No.   

Give me Melo, Fultz, and either Ayton or Doncic > George or Butler.   Cuz either way you're not winning a title this year, but with the 2 Nets picks you could be a contender for the next decade or longer.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
it's too much. but I bet that's bird's offer.

if you trade the bkn 17 that team prolly won't need smart cause they'll draft one of those point guards.

so I would guess, if danny wants the deal to get done he'd be able to take smart out.

even then I'd be reluctant to trade for george, injury history, opting out.

this deal would be for cousins our bust.

the more I watch fultz and ball, the more I want to keep the pick. they may be able to step in and help us from day one.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Am I the only one not high on PG?

We are going to have to give literally everything to get him but I never see him do much for that team that jumps out at me.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

What about for AD rather than PG?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There is a limit to what a superstar player should cost. Possibly the only player worth that package is AD and that's because you have the security of his contract as well. Cousins is probably worth more than George in my eyes, mainly because of the position.

Absolute max you do is Jaylen and the Nets picks, exclude Smart. Even that is mortgaging your future when it isn't really necessary