Author Topic: I'm convinced Noel will be a Celtic shortly...  (Read 10210 times)

Re: I'm convinced Noel will be a Celtic shortly...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Danny wants Noel, he in front of the big blind though...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Yeah. Given this board's tepid past, I'm not buying into the Legend of Zizic.

Translated: "I haven't bothered to do any of my own research on this subject so I'll stick with my usual MO of peeing all over everything"

Riiiight.

This board has never, ever thoroughly overrated anyone before.

Not once.

Riiiight.

You have never, ever thoroughly underrated anyone before.

Not once.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I look at it this way: We'd be trading for an above-average player who could help, but probably couldn't get us into the ECF. The biggest "asset" that we would receive would be the option to match some other team who offers him a max contract (1 of the other 28 will). That's not something I'm going to give up a lot for.

I don't know about Rozier, but Zizic stays where he is.

Mike
Agreed, but it is an "asset" that offers a lot of flexibility.  The 3-month rental would be a rehearsal for Noel in Brad's system.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
When you look at impending free agents and our ability to have cap space to sign a max free agent, there is maybe 1 worthy max free agent who we have a reasonable chance of acquiring (Gordon Hayward).
What about Millsap?

I could see us trading for Noel, signing him on a 2 year type Amir Johnson contract at $16m per (year 2 mutual option).
I 'm pretty sure Noel is gonna attract max offers.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Other opinions aside, how do you predict Zizic will fare in the NBA?  I haven't seen much of him, but wouldn't you expect him to stick as a rotation guy with his size, athleticism, and success in Turkey at such a young age? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 09:15:47 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm not sure Noel will get dealt by the deadline. Embiid has a meniscus tear in his knee, and looks like Okafor is about to be traded. They may choose to sit out Embiid for the rest of the season, and keep Noel.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm not sure Noel will get dealt by the deadline. Embiid has a meniscus tear in his knee, and looks like Okafor is about to be traded. They may choose to sit out Embiid for the rest of the season, and keep Noel.
Agreed. I'm starting to think it is now more likely than not that Philly keeps Noel, and matches the RFA offer sheet he signs.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2017, 09:49:32 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think the Noel trade has officially left the barn.  With Embiid's injury history and their insistence on trading Okafor, they essentially can't afford to trade him anymore.  Maybe it can be revisited in the offseason.

But the more I think about it, I'm not sure how realistic Nerlens Noel ever was.  Look at Brad Stevens's system, it's highly highly based on spacing...if you're a big man and you can't provide even just a threat of shooting 3s, Brad essentially doesn't really have a use for you.  Look at all the big guys on this team right now that get playing time...Horford, Amir Johnson, Jerebko, Olynyk...all these guys, on different levels, provide SOME threat beyond the arc.  I'm not even sure Noel has ever attempted a 3 in his career, it's just not his game.

That's why I think a guy like Serge Ibaka is much more realistic in terms a guy who Ainge would go after that could slide right into Brad's system with no real issue.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119

Translated: "I haven't bothered to do any of my own research on this subject so I'll stick with my usual MO of peeing all over everything"

Riiiight.

This board has never, ever thoroughly overrated anyone before.

Not once.

Riiiight.

You have never, ever thoroughly underrated anyone before.

Not once.

Not to take sides with this debate, but Cs fans tend to overrate their players waaaay more than underrate them.  But it's not like that's necessarily different from any other fanbase.  That's what being a fan is.  But as a huge basketball fan and big time Cs fan, even I have to admit that Cs fans tend to take it up a notch when it comes to overrating players.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2017, 10:21:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
With the Sixers shopping Okafor, I think Noel stays with them at least until the summer.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:35 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
With the Sixers shopping Okafor, I think Noel stays with them at least until the summer.

I agree with this post and the other posters who disagree with the OP's premise (never mind throwing Zizic into the deal for a player going into free agency).

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
I think the Noel trade has officially left the barn.  With Embiid's injury history and their insistence on trading Okafor, they essentially can't afford to trade him anymore.  Maybe it can be revisited in the offseason.

But the more I think about it, I'm not sure how realistic Nerlens Noel ever was.  Look at Brad Stevens's system, it's highly highly based on spacing...if you're a big man and you can't provide even just a threat of shooting 3s, Brad essentially doesn't really have a use for you.  Look at all the big guys on this team right now that get playing time...Horford, Amir Johnson, Jerebko, Olynyk...all these guys, on different levels, provide SOME threat beyond the arc.  I'm not even sure Noel has ever attempted a 3 in his career, it's just not his game.

That's why I think a guy like Serge Ibaka is much more realistic in terms a guy who Ainge would go after that could slide right into Brad's system with no real issue.

If that's the case, it's possible Ibaka is heading to Boston.
Stein of ESPN has tweeted (it's on Roto this morning) the rumors are Ibaka is on the move.
He speculates Toronto or Miami, but he never mentions the Celtics on anything.
Unless Danny has something else up his sleeve, he's probably in the mix.

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Steve Kyler claims that Ibaka wants TOR and that BOS is more interested in a bigger star (Butler/George) rather than Ibaka and won't break up the current squad for marginal improvement.

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »

Offline Real World

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
The Celtics would never do that deal, and Noel would never sign that contract.  IMO at least.

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
Steve Kyler claims that Ibaka wants TOR and that BOS is more interested in a bigger star (Butler/George) rather than Ibaka and won't break up the current squad for marginal improvement.

Kyler is a New Yorker, and the Celtics are not on his wavelength. I don't know who Ibaka wants, and I doubt Kyler does.

Ainge may wish upon a star, but he may have to settle for the moon unless he wants to stay a bridesmaid forever. Fill that hole up front, Danny. And that's not a blank endorsement of Ibaka. I would imagine Toronto is getting pretty desperate right now, but the Celtics really aren't any closer to the Cavs. They are overmatched up front.