Author Topic: WOJ : Boston in pursuit to engage trade talks about Butler and George  (Read 17485 times)

Re: WOJ : Boston in pursuit to engage trade talks about Butler and George
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't see why Anthony would necessarily preclude George or Butler. 

I mean if you can get Anthony for something Amir, Zeller, Young, plus some future 1st (like Boston 2019).  You could then acquire George or Butler with Crowder, Brown, Jerekbo, and one of the BKN picks (and other 1st's as required).  Other players in both tradess added in coming to Boston to help fill out the roster

So trade with Indy for George
Crowder, Brown, Jerekbo, BOS 17, BOS 18 for George, Seraphin

So trade with NY for Anthony
Johnson, Zeller, Young, BOS 19 for Anthony, Plumlee, Vujacic

So post-trades (1 open roster spot and still having BKN 18, MEM, LAC picks)

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart, Vujacic
SF - George, Green
PF - Anthony, Olynyk, Mickey
C - Horford, Seraphin, Plumlee

I guess you forgot to put Fultz or Ball in the rotation

BOS 17 is technically BRK 17.

Then the price for George is too big and DA will never do that trade and pay that much

This.
I obviously proposed the trade, so I disagree, but I'm willing to explain.  Boston/BKN 17 obviously has the potential to be a great player, but George is a great player right now and you know that.  Do I think the 17 pick is going to totally bust out, nope, but there is a pretty high chance that player will never be anywhere as good as George is right now and George right now with Thomas, Bradley, Horford, etc. makes Boston a real and legit contender and threat in the East.  Brown has certainly shown flashes of greatness, but he is still very young and raw and could end up in the Jeff Green category of player.  Maybe he ends up like Paul George, but I'd say the better odds are more like Green, less like George.  Crowder is a rotation level player.  Jerekbo is salary filler and the Boston 18 pick will be a late 1st round pick.  So for the sure thing in his prime that clearly elevates Boston to the next level, I think you have to make that move if you are Boston.  And the reality is, Boston is not landing a Paul George level player without including 2 of the 3 best assets (i.e. Brown and the 2 BKN picks). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Cue the instant rage when we get neither JB or PG.

??Why didn't Danny pull the trigger?!!?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I don't see why Anthony would necessarily preclude George or Butler. 

I mean if you can get Anthony for something Amir, Zeller, Young, plus some future 1st (like Boston 2019).  You could then acquire George or Butler with Crowder, Brown, Jerekbo, and one of the BKN picks (and other 1st's as required).  Other players in both tradess added in coming to Boston to help fill out the roster

So trade with Indy for George
Crowder, Brown, Jerekbo, BOS 17, BOS 18 for George, Seraphin

So trade with NY for Anthony
Johnson, Zeller, Young, BOS 19 for Anthony, Plumlee, Vujacic

So post-trades (1 open roster spot and still having BKN 18, MEM, LAC picks)

PG - Thomas, Rozier, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Smart, Vujacic
SF - George, Green
PF - Anthony, Olynyk, Mickey
C - Horford, Seraphin, Plumlee

I guess you forgot to put Fultz or Ball in the rotation

BOS 17 is technically BRK 17.

Then the price for George is too big and DA will never do that trade and pay that much

This.
I obviously proposed the trade, so I disagree, but I'm willing to explain.  Boston/BKN 17 obviously has the potential to be a great player, but George is a great player right now and you know that.  Do I think the 17 pick is going to totally bust out, nope, but there is a pretty high chance that player will never be anywhere as good as George is right now and George right now with Thomas, Bradley, Horford, etc. makes Boston a real and legit contender and threat in the East.  Brown has certainly shown flashes of greatness, but he is still very young and raw and could end up in the Jeff Green category of player.  Maybe he ends up like Paul George, but I'd say the better odds are more like Green, less like George.  Crowder is a rotation level player.  Jerekbo is salary filler and the Boston 18 pick will be a late 1st round pick.  So for the sure thing in his prime that clearly elevates Boston to the next level, I think you have to make that move if you are Boston.  And the reality is, Boston is not landing a Paul George level player without including 2 of the 3 best assets (i.e. Brown and the 2 BKN picks).

I agree with basically everything you have said. It is a tough pill to swallow, but we would have to move on from the Brooklyn Celtics. PG13 is a step below transcendent, and that level of talent added to our core could theoretically beat the cavs and play the warriors tight. We would just need a +rebounder (hello Zizic) and hopefully a good young guard that can help take the pressure off Thomas as he ages out faster than the rest of the core (opinion.) That may or may not already be on the roster.

If George is available, he needs to be gone after hard. The only player I view moving on from the BRK picks at this stage are George and Cousins (1 BRK and young players.) Granted if AD was available he would be in it also, but the above 2 players seem more likely.
#JKJB

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
In favor of getting Butler for a package that doesnt include Brown, Smart or Bk17

I don't think PG13 comes without being severely overpaid for.

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2017, 02:41:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
In favor of getting Butler for a package that doesnt include Brown, Smart or Bk17

I don't think PG13 comes without being severely overpaid for.
No way we get Butler without at least one of brown and '17
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
There is something about the 2017 pick that feels just too intriguing to pass up.  My rational brain tells me that Paul George is a sure thing (I am not as high on Butler) and still young and probably worth the pick, but my emotions lead me to wanting to keep this pick at all cost. 

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2017, 02:50:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There is something about the 2017 pick that feels just too intriguing to pass up.  My rational brain tells me that Paul George is a sure thing (I am not as high on Butler) and still young and probably worth the pick, but my emotions lead me to wanting to keep this pick at all cost.
Are the top 4 lottery picks "can't miss"?  I am not getting that impression.

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2017, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

If only one of them is "can't miss", we shouldn't trade the pick until the lottery. And I feel that way too, I'd like to keep the pick (both, in fact).

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2017, 03:02:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

I am thrilled that we are guaranteed one of Ball, Fultz, Isaac and Jackson....thrilled!

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2017, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Ainge makes a trade this year it will be to enhance the current, on pace to win over 50 games this year, team. There is absolutely zero chance Ainge rips apart the core of this team while giving up massive amounts of future assets and bench players to add Melo and Butler. That is simply not happening. Ainge could add one star while giving up 2018 Nets, maybe Yab, Zizic, or Nader, expiring contracts and one starter quality player, but thats all thst will happen in season this year.

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If Ainge makes a trade this year it will be to enhance the current, on pace to win over 50 games this year, team. There is absolutely zero chance Ainge rips apart the core of this team while giving up massive amounts of future assets and bench players to add Melo and Butler. That is simply not happening. Ainge could add one star while giving up 2018 Nets, maybe Yab, Zizic, or Nader, expiring contracts and one starter quality player, but thats all thst will happen in season this year.
why is there zero chance?  If Ainge doesn't think this team can win a title, but thinks making a move this year would better set Boston up for that, then Ainge would absolutely make that move even if it hurts the core.  Chemistry only matters if you have a team capable of winning a title.  Boston is not a team capable of winning the title, so chemistry makes no real difference at all in that regard.

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2017, 03:55:20 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
why is there zero chance?  If Ainge doesn't think this team can win a title, but thinks making a move this year would better set Boston up for that, then Ainge would absolutely make that move even if it hurts the core.  Chemistry only matters if you have a team capable of winning a title.  Boston is not a team capable of winning the title, so chemistry makes no real difference at all in that regard.
You add Anthony Davis to this team by just trading picks. We can win the title and many more. Our Chemistry is in place an AD would thrive in Boston. IMO
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is zero chance because Ainge is an intelligent person that doesn't deal in the absolutes that you are discussing. He also is a manager of people and doesn't treat people like objects like you seem to be doing here. This team has a human dynamic and the best way to kill the positive locker room and team chemistry as well as the relationship between the players and coaches and management is to blow apart a team mid season like you are calling for. This isn't fantasy basketball. There are more things to consider than just "Oh we can't win it all so lets gut a 50 win, young team to add some stars that may help in later years and completely undo everything we have been building for years".

Sorry, your idea isn't happening. Ainge might trade for one star but it will be at a minimal price and will be to add to and enhance the current team.

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No pick is ever "can't miss."  I hate that label.  But there are 3-6 players this year who could be given that label, despite the inaccuracy of such a term.

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
There is zero chance because Ainge is an intelligent person that doesn't deal in the absolutes that you are discussing. He also is a manager of people and doesn't treat people like objects like you seem to be doing here. This team has a human dynamic and the best way to kill the positive locker room and team chemistry as well as the relationship between the players and coaches and management is to blow apart a team mid season like you are calling for. This isn't fantasy basketball. There are more things to consider than just "Oh we can't win it all so lets gut a 50 win, young team to add some stars that may help in later years and completely undo everything we have been building for years".

Sorry, your idea isn't happening. Ainge might trade for one star but it will be at a minimal price and will be to add to and enhance the current team.
The two trades were giving up Crowder, Brown, Johnson, Jerekbo, Zeller, and Young.  That isn't exactly gutting the core.  It is trading 3 main rotation players, an occasional player (JJ), and two guys that barely play.  You are acting like I was proposing trading the entire starting lineup.  And here's the thing the last 4 of those guys likely will not be on the Celtics next year, so you are basically giving up two long term players, for two stars and some deep bench rotation players for a team that is far more likely to compete for a championship.  Ainge would absolutely make those types of moves if possible.