Author Topic: Butler Trade to Boston Proposed by ESPN's Insider Kevin Pelton  (Read 16589 times)

Butler Trade to Boston Proposed by ESPN's Insider Kevin Pelton
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Just to be clear, this is not a trade rumor, just one that he said works for both teams. Personally I am not a fan of giving up 2018 Nets pick for Butler.

Per Kevin Pelton:

"Bulls send Butler to Boston

Boston Celtics get: Forwards Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson

Chicago Bulls get: Guard Terry Rozier, centers Amir Johnson and Tyler Zeller, Brooklyn's 2018 first-round pick and Memphis' protected 2019 first-round pick

View in the ESPN Trade Machine

Even if the Raptors get Millsap, I still think the Celtics might be a bigger threat to the Cavaliers if they can get Butler. Not only that, getting a player in his prime (Butler is 27) and under contract sets up Boston to contend for years. I'd be willing to surrender any non-starter and any draft pick besides the 2017 Nets pick to get Butler.

That might not be enough for Chicago in reality -- I could see the Bulls holding out for this year's Brooklyn pick, which is virtually certain to have the best chance at being No. 1 overall in a strong draft -- but in my fantasy world, the teams make a deal that also sends the Celtics Gibson, an impending free agent who strengthens a Boston frontcourt weakened by the loss of Johnson."

Re: Butler Trade to Boston Proposed by ESPN's Insider Kevin Pelton
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would be good with that trade.

I also think the Bulls say no. 

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:02:46 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Where do I sign up? That's a wonderful trade for the Celts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'd swap Bradley for Zeller and give them like 15 2nds to get it done  ;D

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:08:21 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Just to be clear, this is not a trade rumor, just one that he said works for both teams. Personally I am not a fan of giving up 2018 Nets pick for Butler.

Wait, what?

We get to Keep the 2017 pick (high pick in a deep draft), Brown, and Smart? That 2018 pick is not guaranteed like this years. They might be the worst team this year but look at Philly this year after getting the worst record in 15-16.  I don't think it can get much worse for Brooklyn.

I doubt Chicago does this deal anyway so it doesn't matter.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I would be good with that trade.

I also think the Bulls say no.

Yeah, I'd do that deal tonight.

But the Bulls would die laughing - before they hung up.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Where do I sign?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Wait, what?

We get to Keep the 2017 pick (high pick in a deep draft), Brown, and Smart? That 2018 pick is not guaranteed like this years. They might be the worst team this year but look at Philly this year after getting the worst record in 15-16.  I don't think it can get much worse for Brooklyn.

Except the Nets don't have a player who will be rookie of the year next year. 

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Would love it...but Chicago says "nerts to that".

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Wait, what?

The Nets' 2018 season looks just as dismal.  Unlikely to get a big FA signing given the new CBA.  In addition, the top end of the draft in 2018 fits better for our long term needs than the 2017 draft. It has several incredible bigs who are lacking in this draft.  I do not give up that asset easily, certainly not for a Jimmy Butler.  Seems like most others disagree with me, though.

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
We don't give up nearly enough. Chicago is going to want a monster haul for Butler, in which case we should be wise not to be the team to gut ourselves for him.
#JKJB

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Wait, what?

The Nets' 2018 season looks just as dismal.  Unlikely to get a big FA signing given the new CBA.  In addition, the top end of the draft in 2018 fits better for our long term needs than the 2017 draft. It has several incredible bigs who are lacking in this draft.  I do not give up that asset easily, certainly not for a Jimmy Butler.  Seems like most others disagree with me, though.
What if New Orleans trades Holiday and its 1st for Brook Lopez (just as an example)?  That 1st might end up pretty good and Holiday could easily re-sign in Brooklyn.  What if the Nets then overpay for someone like Noel in free agency and continue to get growth from their younger players.  Sure the Nets won't make the playoffs in that scenario, but could certainly be better than the worst team in basketball. 

You don't give up the 2017 1st for Butler, but you would be crazy not to give up the 2018 1st, especially when keeping all player assets.  Of course that is why Chicago would never do that trade.  ChiTown needs more than just the 2018 BKN pick and the Memphis pick to even consider trading Butler. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:24:07 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think it's a good trade for both teams.  Boston is the now team in the deal so of course
it looks better for them (always looks great for the win now team because they
get the best current player).

If Chicago is impatiently trying to make a contender in the near future around Butler, then this deal
is obviously a no go for them.  If they're ready to think about being great in the future instead,
this is a good trade for them.

The Celtics should throw in their best second round pick this year and another second round pick from next year, and/or Mickey and Young. 

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't see anyway the Bulls would do that.

I'd be fine adding the Clippers first and our 2018 pick (with some type of protection) to that package. Even if we added 2 more firsts I think it would still be a steal for the C's.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I still wouldn't do this trade lol. We're not trading a Brooklyn pick unless we get someone on Anthony Davis's level. This reminds me of the Kevin Love obsession when people thought he was a top ten player. The Bulls aren't good, they need someone to score....In comes Jimmy Butler.