Author Topic: Celtics (33-18) at Kings (20-32) Game #52 2/8/17  (Read 28143 times)

Celtics (33-18) at Kings (20-32) Game #52 2/8/17
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (33-18) at Sacramento Kings (20-32)
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #52, Road Game #25
TV: CSNNE, CSNCA,  NBA-LP  767(DTV)/757(xfinity)
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 1140 AM
Golden 1 Center

Probable Celtics Starters
PG SG SF PF  C
Isaiah Thomas / Jaylen Brown / Jae Crowder / Al Horford  / Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves
Gerald Green
Jordan Mickey
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
Kelly Olynyk
Demetrius Jackson

Injuries

Avery Bradley (Achilles)  game time decision
Jonas Jerebko (nose)  game time decision

Head Coach
Brad Stevens 

Probable Kings Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Darren Collison /Ben McLemore / Arron Afflalo/ Willie Caulie-Stein/ Kosta Koufos

Kings Reserves

Matt Barnes
Ty Lawson
Ben McLemore
Anthony Tolliver
Malachi Richardson
George Papagiannis
Skal Labissiere

Injuries
Omri Casspi (foot) out
Rudy Gay (Achilles) out
Garrett Temple (hamstring)  out
DeMarcus Cousins  (suspended)  out

Head Coach
Dave Joerger

Game Notes

The Celtics start a 4 game Western road trip with a stop in Sacramento to take on the Kings.  Last season the Celtics won the series 2-0, including one game played in Mexico City as part of the NBA's Global Games. The Celtics beat the Kings 97-92 in Boston on December 2.

The Celtics have won their last 7 games and are 7-3 in their last 10 games.  The Kings lost their last game and are 4-6 in their last 10.  The Celtics are 14-10 on the road while the Kings are 9-15 at home. 

DeMarcus Cousins will not be playing in this game as he received his 15th and 16th technicals in a game versus the Bulls on Monday and is suspended by the league for this game.  For the rest of the season he will be suspended for one game for every 2 technicals that he receives.  The Kings will miss his 27.9 points and 10.7 rebounds.  With Cousins out,  I'm guessing that Willie Cauley-Stein will fill in for him in the starting lineup. 

Also out for the Kings are Omri Casspi (foot), Garrett Temple (hamstring) and Rudy Gay, who is out for the season with an Achilles injury.   Avery Bradley is still considered a game time decision with the Achilles injury that has kept him out of the last 12 games.  Jonas Jerebko injured his nose in Sunday's game against the Clippers and is also considered a game time decision. 

Perhaps the biggest story is the return of Isaiah Thomas to the team that chose him with the 60th pick in the draft.  He has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after the Kings let him walk for virtually nothing.  This will be his first time back to Sacramento as the All Star leader of the Celtics as these two teams played in Mexico City last season which counted as a home game for the Kings. 

Key Matchups 
  vs 
Isaiah is coming back to where he started in the NBA as the 60th pick in the draft and will be motivated to get a win against his former team.  Collison is averaging 13.1 points, 2.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists.  He is shooting 47.8% from the field and 42.1% from beyond the arc. 

vs 
Marcus Smart vs Matt Barnes
Barnes comes off the bench but plays a big role for the Kings.  In the game in Boston, Barnes scored 13 points and dished out 5 assist, but pulled down 16 rebounds.   Barnes is capable of having a big game, especially with Cousins out and the Kings needing production from someone else.  Marcus needs to defend him well without letting him get into his head, as Barnes is known to do whenever he can. 

Keys to the Game
Rebound - Much of rebounding is effort and desire.  The Celtics have to put out extra effort  to grab the rebounds on both ends of the court.   By doing so, they limit the second chance points and fast breaks for the Kings and also give themselves extra possessions.   With Cousins out for the Kings it will be a little easier,  but the Celtics still must put out extra effort to win the battle of the boards. 

Defense
- The Celtics need to make defense their priority.  Defense wins games.  Their defense has been better in recent games and they must continue to play tough team defense if they want to get a win in this game. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics must be the more aggressive team. They have to go after loose balls, rebounds and also be more aggressive defensively. They have to be aggressive in going to the basket and also in moving the ball.  The more aggressive team usually gets the calls and also the win.

Run and Move the Ball-  The Celtics play best when they run on every possession and when they keep the ball moving to find the best shot.  They need to run on offense to get easy shots before the Kings' defense can set up.  They also need to run on defense to keep the Kings from getting into their sets and to keep them from getting easy baskets.  They also have to move the ball.  When they tend to dribble too much, the rest of their game seems to become stagnant. 

X-Factors

Road Game -  The Celtics are on the road and playing much later than they are used to.  They need to focus on playing their game and block out the distractions that travel and playing on the road present. 

Over-confidence - The Celtics have won 7 games in a row and they are playing a team that is below .500 and that is missing their star player.  All of those factors could lead to the Celtics taking the Kings for granted and being outplayed. If they do, they may end up with a loss.  They have to come out strong and not let this become a trap game. 

Officiating - The officiating is always an x-factor.  Whether because of the tendencies of individual refs, or an agenda on behalf of the refs or the league, each game is officiated differently and that can favor or throw a team off on any given night.

Re: Celtics (33-18) at Kings (20-32) Game #52 2/8/17
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:15:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
First! Go Celtics!  Keep that streak alive!

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FLCeltsFan!!!

Seems like forever ago we watched PP come home.

No let-downs here or the next few games. We're playing some weak teams.

Go Cs!!!

: Nice slippers!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:17:59 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
#3! Go Celts! TP FL

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I forgot that this is going to be IT's first time back to Sacramento, at least in a C's uniform. Did he play there as a Sun before being traded? I would imagine so.

I'm expecting a big game from him. No Cuz, Temples, Gay, or Casspi - I'd say this is a trap game, but I'm not sure they have enough to beat us even if we do play like crap.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 10:20:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
I forgot that this is going to be IT's first time back to Sacramento, at least in a C's uniform. Did he play there as a Sun before being traded? I would imagine so.

I'm expecting a big game from him. No Cuz, Temples, Gay, or Casspi - I'd say this is a trap game, but I'm not sure they have enough to beat us even if we do play like crap.

Isaiah played every game last year, so he's been there at least once before wearing Green.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:21:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kinda hope Avery just sits this one out .  Let him get 110 % back,  no issues .  Let Brown terrorize a Boogie less Kings .
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:27:53 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 10:21:34 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

Isaiah played every game last year, so he's been there at least once before wearing Green.
Last year we played that game in Mexico which counted as a Sac home game.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Last year we played that game in Mexico which counted as a Sac home game.

Oh, right!  Forgot about that random Mexico trip.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

No, they played Sacramento's home game in Mexico City last season so this is his first time back to Sacramento as a Celtic. 

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to saltlover for being the first to post in the game thread!

Gooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!!   

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
# something! Does that count for a tp?  ;D

Celtics on a roll and sactown ain't.  Celtics have a nice win by double digits and Gino make an early appearance.

Thanks flc,tp. As ever. Oh and one for salty too. I think he. Just sits there waiting for game threads. ;)

And of course...goooooooooooooooooooo Celtics! ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
AB not with the team on the West road trip. Brad says he's likely out until after the All-Star Break.

This is worrisome, and it sure is starting to seem more and more like KG's injury in 2009 where it kept getting pushed back further and further.

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 04:28:20 AM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Easy win, don't screw this. Lots of games on the road are coming so let's start this the right way !

Go C's !

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:07:20 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
DJax sighting? James Young?

Looking forward to this one. Go C's.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.