Author Topic: 3 Trades and Draft ideas.  (Read 1947 times)

3 Trades and Draft ideas.
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
What should the Celtics do to continue to be good and get better this season, and still plan for the future?  I think this can be solved with a couple moves this year at the deadline with not doing any blockbuster deals.  The Celtics almost have too many picks I see. 

The three little trades that would help us now and in the future.   

1.  We're not getting a star like Cousins or someone but we could hope on a trade if Melo is traded to the Clippers.  If we throw in a James Young and a give back the Clippers 2017 second round pick, to try to get a J.J. Riddick.  We get a nice bench score and someone who can snipe from 3 point range.   The Clippers get salary relief this year plus get a second round pick who will be less money, which they need because of taking Milo's contract.

2.  This trade is to help now as well as a rental.  Ibaka is looking to move on from the Magic it's being reported.  They're going to want to gain something back because giving up a lot for him.   We have assets that could get it done.  Trying to move a young Jordan Mickey they can use to groom at a cheap price.  Amir Johnson would have to be moved to match salary.  We're going to have to give them picks as well.  I'd suggest Memphis 2019 1st Round and Cavaliers 2017 2nd round.  Pistons 2019 2nd round.  If we get lucky and win,  Ibaka might be wanting to stay around cheaper then else where.

3.  This is a fix now and later.  Terry Rozier is looking good lately but we're deep at the guard position, and I rather Smart with more minutes.  The 76ers are loaded with bigs and Okafor is looking like the odd man out most nights.  Offer the 76ers Rozier, Boston 2018 1st Round, 2020 Heat 2nd round, and the rights to Abdul Nader.  Okafor gives us a young big to work with Horford who would show him to be a real professional and give our bench a go to scorer down low.   

This isn't including next year having hopefully Ante Zizic and Guerschon Yabusele plus the Brooklyn pick.

With having the Brooklyn pick this year and also a high second with Minnesota's pick, we're able to draft a potential star and someone I believe could fall to our second round pick. 

Brooklyn pick - Markelle Fultz or London Ball.  My preference is Ball but either would fit.   Yes I know we have 3 great guards in Thomas, Bradley and Smart at this time if the Okafor trade I suggest happens. 

Minnesota pick - Caleb Swanigan from Purdue I believe falls to this in the second round and would be huge pick up.  A double double machine with scoring and rebounds, plus a defensive player.   He's a little undersized power forward but would fit perfect with the Celtics. 

In the off-season hopefully we can resign Ibaka to a decent deal, and also giving the ability to resign Thomas, Bradley and Smart I would suggest.  If signing Ibaka happens this is what the team would look like for next year if all this happens.  Reddick if willing to sign cheaply would be worth it but not nesssary.  I don't see us signing Hayward is another reason I'm suggesting these types of trade.

Starting Five
Center - Ibaka
Power Forward - Horford
Small Forward - Crowder
Shooting Guard - Bradley
Point Guard - Thomas

Backup Five
Center - Okafor
Power Forward - Yabusele
Small Forward - Brown
Shooting Guard - Smart
Point Guard - Ball

Swing Player
Center - Zizic
Power Forward - Swanigan
Shooting Guard - Riddick (If we resign him in the trade)

Of course this could all be changed if my three trades didn't happen but in my ideal post this happen. 

Re: 3 Trades and Draft ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
I don't think Ball will look good running with Smart and Okafor. He needs like KO/Horford type bigs, wing players that are not gun shy but accurate like Jae Crowder or Bradley, IT4 can run with Ball too. So I agree, it will be a good decision to draft Ball but it will entirely depend if Stevens "sees it" with him, meaning the offensive schemes become more effective with Ball and his playing style brings out the best in guys like Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, etc. I mean, just look at how many shots UCLA gets up every game! It's 5 star dishes, different exotic fishes levels of ridiculous.

When it comes to the trades though, I have a feeling that it's important to note that Ainge has been on a fleecing tear (Nets picks, Crowder, IT4, etc.) So teams around the league want him to be had on one of these future deals, I'm sure they think he's been penny-pinching them for far too long. While some of these scenarios work in theory, you can't expect those teams to accept marginal picks and raw players for a prospect like Okafor, who while antiquated should still be able to get you two points here and there at will. Especially if Ainge is the one making the offer, they probably had enough of him winning all these trades.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
We want to have a chance to sign a max free agent in summer.

I would sacrifice that option if we got Cousins, Butler or players this level. Not for JJ Redick.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
I don't think Ball will look good running with Smart and Okafor. He needs like KO/Horford type bigs, wing players that are not gun shy but accurate like Jae Crowder or Bradley, IT4 can run with Ball too. So I agree, it will be a good decision to draft Ball but it will entirely depend if Stevens "sees it" with him, meaning the offensive schemes become more effective with Ball and his playing style brings out the best in guys like Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, etc. I mean, just look at how many shots UCLA gets up every game! It's 5 star dishes, different exotic fishes levels of ridiculous.

When it comes to the trades though, I have a feeling that it's important to note that Ainge has been on a fleecing tear (Nets picks, Crowder, IT4, etc.) So teams around the league want him to be had on one of these future deals, I'm sure they think he's been penny-pinching them for far too long. While some of these scenarios work in theory, you can't expect those teams to accept marginal picks and raw players for a prospect like Okafor, who while antiquated should still be able to get you two points here and there at will. Especially if Ainge is the one making the offer, they probably had enough of him winning all these trades.

I just broke it down by taking Ball with the pick.  Yes, you're going to have a mixture of line ups but I think these are more just a base.  Yeah Ball does need a shooter but I looked at Smart and Brown both will get better shooting.   While Okafor is a great inside scorer which Ball would use getting to the hoop. 

As for the Okafor trade as a whole I looked at as what thwe Pelican might give then.   What I offered is a better package and fits the need of the team with a young point guard plus still a 1st round.   But I know what you mean as well. 

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White

I would sacrifice that option if we got Cousins, Butler or players this level. Not for JJ Redick.

I don't think you read my whole post or understood it.  JJ Redick is done after this year and said if cheap sign would be great with the team I put together.   But this post is based on all three happening.  Plus Ibaka is also a rental as well.   Okafor is the only trade that would be more then a year.   The other two would involve resign after this year. 

Yes, we can get a max player but honestly the best option might not be a max player.  Because we got to look at future as well with Thomas and Bradley and Smart all needing new contracts after next season. 

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I don't get either Reddick or Okafor, but I think Ibaka is an excellent fit.  Add Ibaka, Ball and Zizic, resign KO, and I'm excited.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't think you read my whole post or understood it.  JJ Redick is done after this year and said if cheap sign would be great with the team I put together.   But this post is based on all three happening.  Plus Ibaka is also a rental as well.   Okafor is the only trade that would be more then a year.   The other two would involve resign after this year. 

Yes, we can get a max player but honestly the best option might not be a max player.  Because we got to look at future as well with Thomas and Bradley and Smart all needing new contracts after next season.
I would leave out the JJ Reddick piece but do the other 2 deals.  My only hesitation in your entire idea is actually Abdel Nader.  I really think this kid is going to be good.

Starters:
C - Ibaka
PF - Horford
SF - Crowder
SG - Bradley
PG - Thomas

Bench:
C - Olynyk, Okafor, Zizic
PF - Yabusele
SF - Brown, Nader
SG - Smart
PG - Ball or Fultz