Author Topic: Lawyer Malloy All-Stars  (Read 2949 times)

Lawyer Malloy All-Stars
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is NOT a criticism/insult of these players. It is more of an appreciation of how I continue to remind myself that I should not second guess Bill Belichick. These are the players I can think of that seemed still highly effective, useful, valuable, yet were let go/traded in the offseason before a super bowl win or during the season of a super bowl win. As far as I can remember, all of these had a kind of "well THIS move is one that will come back to haunt Belichick" from various outlets. Any others?

'02 into '03
Lawyer Malloy

'13 into '14
Logan Mankins
Aqib Talib

'15 into '16.
Chandler Jones
Jamie Collins

All hail BB. Now, again, this is not to insult these players. I was shocked at the Collins trade, and think he is quite a good player, and phenomenal athlete. I will say, however, for such a good athlete it seemed like there were numerous memories of him running 3 steps behind an RB in a wheel route every season he played...not an image I miss.

Re: Lawyer Malloy All-Stars
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think there are two different types of players: those that were traded away (for seemingly less than I would have expected in return), and those that were not re-signed. The latter category is less surprising, because this is the nature of the NFL. Talib fits in the latter category, as dose Welker, and Revis, for that matter.

In the former category, yes Mankins, Collins and Chandler all fit. I'd add Mike Vrabel to that list. He was treated as a "throw in" to the Cassel trade.

Milloy is a little different, in that he didn't want to renegotiate his contract and was cut at the last minute, IIRC.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Letting Ted Washington walk after SB XXXVIII was a move that was questioned at the time.  Pats ended up drafting Wilfork and winning SB XXXIX the following season. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
I think there are two different types of players: those that were traded away (for seemingly less than I would have expected in return), and those that were not re-signed. The latter category is less surprising, because this is the nature of the NFL. Talib fits in the latter category, as dose Welker, and Revis, for that matter.

In the former category, yes Mankins, Collins and Chandler all fit. I'd add Mike Vrabel to that list. He was treated as a "throw in" to the Cassel trade.

Milloy is a little different, in that he didn't want to renegotiate his contract and was cut at the last minute, IIRC.

Good point. I remember Malloy being a "shocking" / "What will they do" move, and they won the SB that year. I didn't mention Seymour, Welker, Revis because the Pats did not win the SB the year(s) they left.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:55:09 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
Letting Ted Washington walk after SB XXXVIII was a move that was questioned at the time.  Pats ended up drafting Wilfork and winning SB XXXIX the following season.

Good one.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 11:24:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was pretty nervous about letting Viniateri go. Greatest kicker of all time. Apparently the drop off from greatest kicker of all time to a pro bowl kicker is not as tremendous as I feared.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
 During the 2001 season, coach Bill Belichick deactivated Terry Glenn for the rest of the season due to a series of off-the-field problems. Glenn only wound up playing in four games in 2001, most notably catching the first career touchdown pass thrown by Tom Brady in a game against the San Diego Chargers. The Patriots went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI without Glenn, and he did not receive a Super Bowl ring......wiki

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
oh man, MT. Washington

He was AWesome
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
During the 2001 season, coach Bill Belichick deactivated Terry Glenn for the rest of the season due to a series of off-the-field problems. Glenn only wound up playing in four games in 2001, most notably catching the first career touchdown pass thrown by Tom Brady in a game against the San Diego Chargers. The Patriots went on to win Super Bowl XXXVI without Glenn, and he did not receive a Super Bowl ring......wiki

awesome one. Completely forgot that. Perfect example.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Richard Seymour was never the same after leaving here.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Fan from vt: you inspired me to rewatch the first pats Super Bowl victory

Watching right now

So sweet

Pats D is bullying the rams O

Rams were shook
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Albert Haynesworth?

Laurence Maroney?

Brandon Merriwether?

Adalius Thomas?

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Wes Welker. It was done either the year that Brady had renegotiated his contract or the year after, and I figured that not only would we be losing Brady's top target but also that TB12 would be p---ed that he had restructured his contract, only to see Welker get shot.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Ty Law was released

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Trading Branch to SEA was one of the moves that actually did hurt the Pats.

Probably cost the Pats a Super Bowl in 2006. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team