Author Topic: Super Bowl 51 Game Thread: New England Patriots vs Atlanta Falcons  (Read 28120 times)

Re: Super Bowl 51 Game Thread: New England Patriots vs Atlanta Falcons
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
From now on if someone's like "Yeah I don't think Brady is the best player of all time" or some stupid thing like that you just hold up your hand and spread out all 5 fingers and say "Stop. Just stop. Stop right now."

Hahahaha! Love it!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I know it was more or less a foregone conclusion that Brady was going to get the MVP, but I'm just going to leave this here: We're not winning the game without James White making a million plays down the stretch.

Great game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Still hasn't sunk it.  In a daze.

The Pats margin for error that 4th quarter was so ridiculously thin.  Absolutely everything had to fall right;  no more ATL points, get a FG, score 2 TDs and convert two 2 pt conversions.  Absolutely everything had to fall right, and it actually happened.  Unbelievable.

You will never see another QB like Brady and you'll probably never see another Super Bowl like that.  Unreal.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

The Pats margin for error that 4th quarter was so ridiculously thin.  Absolutely everything had to fall right;  no more ATL points, get a FG, score 2 TDs and convert two 2 pt conversions.  Absolutely everything had to fall right, and it actually happened.  Unbelievable.

You will never see another QB like Brady and you'll probably never see another Super Bowl like that.  Unreal.
Also had to have time for all of this; the fact they forced a fumble deep into ATL territory and were able to score quick helped.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Also had to have time for all of this; the fact they forced a fumble deep into ATL territory and were able to score quick helped.

Oh yeah,  even if ATL punts there instead of turning the ball over,  Pats lose 40+ yards of field position and may very well not have enough time left in the game.    Huge turning point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
first down at Pats 23 yard line with 8 point lead...

Why was Atl dropping back to pass? There running back was getting huge chunks of yards. Kick a field goal there and they are up 11 points. Game over? Who knows?

Why were they passing at that point? Hubris or just scared about the Patriots mystique (they did not think an 11 point lead would be enough) Pats still in their head even when it seems they had the game won.

The Atl owner and his wife were ready to celebrate .... amazing they had moved to the sideline. Talk about not counting your falcons before they hatch.

« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2017, 11:36:02 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Why was Atl dropping back to pass? There running back was getting huge chunks of yards. Kick a field goal there and they are up 11 points. Game over? Who knows?

Why were they passing at that point? Hubris or just scared about the Patriots mystique (they did not think an 11 point lead would be enough) Pats still in their head even when it seems they had the game won.

The Atl owner and his wife were ready to celebrate .... amazing they had moved to the sideline. Talk about not counting your falcons before they hatch.

Yeah, that was a key. Not running the ball with a 25 pt lead! That's on the coaches, and it just shows coaching inexperience in Super Bowls. The Patriots have a big advantage there--the same coaches have been there so often, they know how to play the situation. They also are costing me a fortune in Super Bowl T shirts, hoodies and footballs back to '03. I'm wearing the last SB hoodie this morning, and have the current one on order.  :)

« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Was yesterday the greatest day in Boston sports history? Greatest Superbowl comeback and perhaps the most significant regular season NBA game with Paul's last game back.
I would have to vote the Red Sox WS win that broke the Bambino curse.
agreed

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2017, 11:38:50 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Yeah.

Kraft ought to send Rat Jr. - Kyle Shanahan - a ring. Worst series of play calling I've seen in a LONG time.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I bet somewhere out there today Durant is feeling some sadness for saying no to Tom Brady and the celtics and missing out on being a part of Boston sports.

« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I bet somewhere out there today Durant is feeling some sadness for saying no to Tom Brady and the celtics and missing out on being a part of Boston sports.

Good. I hope his Warriors choke again in the playoffs too.  >:(

- Bitter C's fan about the KD saga
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Yeah.

Kraft ought to send Rat Jr. - Kyle Shanahan - a ring. Worst series of play calling I've seen in a LONG time.

They ran on 1st down for a loss and went for a pass on 2nd that turned out to be the disaster. It's on the QB IMO. You can't take a sack, but Ryan didn't feel the pressure.

« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Have to admit that defense STEPPED UP. It might be 28 points given up but the pick 6 and turnovers didn't help at all. (So really they allowed 21 to the best offense in football)

Second half they did not break except for that 1 early 3rd quarter TD drive.

WHAT. A. WIN.

Easily the second best comeback in BOS history behind the Red Sox 2004 comeback vs NYY.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Was yesterday the greatest day in Boston sports history? Greatest Superbowl comeback and perhaps the most significant regular season NBA game with Paul's last game back.
I would have to vote the Red Sox WS win that broke the Bambino curse.
agreed

Second this, especially after the Yankees banged away to a 3-0 lead. By Game 7, you could smell the fear.

« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2017, 01:05:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

...and perhaps thinking about how he might like to switch coasts this summer :)
Celtics fan for life.