Author Topic: Bird vs. Pierce...best pure scorer  (Read 6742 times)

Re: Bird vs. Pierce...best pure scorer
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
If you could combine the '86 and '08 Teams by Position:

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
KG
Robert Parish

2nd Unit:
Rondo
Ainge
Pierce
McHale
Perkins
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Isaiah Thomas :D

Just kidding ... it's Bird.

Bird would be a great three point shooter if he were playing today.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
KG
Robert Parish

2nd Unit:
Rondo
Ainge
Pierce
McHale
Perkins
Not knocking your list.  But imo move kg to center and chief to bench.  Add mchale to starters.
I'd love to see ainge vs ray.  Danny was an incredible athlete and I think his all around game might win out.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
KG
Robert Parish

2nd Unit:
Rondo
Ainge
Pierce
McHale
Perkins
Not knocking your list.  But imo move kg to center and chief to bench.  Add mchale to starters.
I'd love to see ainge vs ray.  Danny was an incredible athlete and I think his all around game might win out.

My Starters are 5 Hall of Famers, playing their actual positions......Bench, 2 HOF's
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2017, 07:36:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Love Pierce....but he would be coming off the Bench for the 1986 Celtics.

Hmm...

Maybe. He fits the Hondo profile.

I'd love to have both Bird and PP in there, though. Maybe bring Danny off the pine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
KG
Robert Parish

2nd Unit:
Rondo
Ainge
Pierce
McHale
Perkins

My Starters are 5 Hall of Famers, playing their actual positions......Bench, 2 HOF's
Too many HOF to choose from!  Guess for center depends if the team is playing 86 centers or 08 centers.  So danny vs ray?

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Starters:
Dennis Johnson
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
KG
Robert Parish

2nd Unit:
Rondo
Ainge
Pierce
McHale
Perkins

Also Bill Walton over Perk. Perk's the end of bench guy who comes out when we need some heads knocked 80s style.

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
Couldn't remember exact year when guys were injured but walton, scotty wedman and jerry schisting were a great bench.  I'd add in greg kite was arguably at perks level but didn't get the pt that perk had.

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Bird came from a more physical league and didn't shoot the 3 as much. I think Bird would've gone wild in the no hand check age with the flagrant fouls etc... Hard to compare but I clearly think Bird was better with a higher level of competition.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Actually, the only reason this is close is optics. Bird actually was a pretty good athlete, but he couldn't jump, and he was below average laterally. It just looked harder for Bird.

Pierce was a much more fluid and explosive athlete, with an almost perfect balance of every important offensive skill. He missed, but he never looked like he couldn't get off his shot.

But if you then consider the numbers and the actual performances, while Pierce posted numbers that were worthy of a major star, the numbers say Bird was substantially more efficient. He was the founding member of the 50-40-90 club.

Either guy could go out in a big game and beat you practically by himself. But Bird did it more often, and he did it with less shots.

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Actually, the only reason this is close is optics. Bird actually was a pretty good athlete, but he couldn't jump, and he was below average laterally. It just looked harder for Bird.

Pierce was a much more fluid and explosive athlete, with an almost perfect balance of every important offensive skill. He missed, but he never looked like he couldn't get off his shot.

But if you then consider the numbers and the actual performances, while Pierce posted numbers that were worthy of a major star, the numbers say Bird was substantially more efficient. He was the founding member of the 50-40-90 club.

Either guy could go out in a big game and beat you practically by himself. But Bird did it more often, and he did it with less shots.

Bird could beat you with little or no shots. LB could beat you with steals, rebounds and passing.Truly unique basketball genius!

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 09:44:37 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
Only 2 drunk people should have this convo...is this really a debate?  Not taking anything away from Paul but he's never been nor will he ever be recognized as being on Larry Legends level.

Paul was great but Larry is greatNESS!!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"