Author Topic: Bird vs. Pierce...best pure scorer  (Read 6745 times)

Bird vs. Pierce...best pure scorer
« on: February 05, 2017, 04:23:17 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I disagree with the assertion that Paul Pierce was a better scorer.
I have no stats to argue either way, just saying using the eye test.
Grew up watching Bird and for my money he was twice the player Paul was, he could just do so many things on the court.  And with that silky stroke of his, I just don't understand how people could think for even a second Paul was a better scorer.

Pierce played in the age of the three point shot, so yeah, of course he has more points in his career, duh!

Re: Bird vs. Pierce...best pure scorer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Bird also played with the 3pt shot already there..what are you on about. Hr just didn't use it that much because its an era where low post scoring and midrange game was the norm.

Pure scorer as in give him the ball and he could score on any opponent well I would have to say PP but only by a hairline.

But if we are talkin about most valuable offensive Celtic Id have to go with Bird. He is just cold blooded and can rip opponents out in so many ways.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:09:08 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
My vote is Bird. He played with 2 hall of gamers throughout their entire primes, and 1 hall of famer at the back side of his career.

Ainge wasn't bad too.

Basically Bird didn't have to score as much on those teams.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bird.  not even close.  Pierce was terrific but everything he could do, Bird did and did it better and was a much better passer.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bird also played with the 3pt shot already there..what are you on about. Hr just didn't use it that much because its an era where low post scoring and midrange game was the norm.

Pure scorer as in give him the ball and he could score on any opponent well I would have to say PP but only by a hairline.

But if we are talkin about most valuable offensive Celtic Id have to go with Bird. He is just cold blooded and can rip opponents out in so many ways.
3pt line was not a staple of the game at that time and in fact was just introduced to the game.  teams hadn't worked it into their offenses at that time -- stark contrast to the current NBA that lives on it.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Bird is obviously the better player, and better shooter.

I think what Bob Ryan is saying is Pierce had more in his arsenal for pure scoring such as drawing fouls getting to the line, transition buckets ect.  Didn't Robert Parish say the same thing who played with Bird?  Bird was a killer on the court and there is no comparing their overall game, but I can see what Ryan is saying.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I refuse to make a choice. It's like saying who do you love more...your mother or your father. I am not picking and devaluing the other in any way. Love them both the same!!

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:26:35 AM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Sorry, but there's just no comparison between the two even in the somewhat manufactured context of "best pure scorer," whatever that really means. Larry is the man and it's not especially close.

This is largely a generational discussion and a nice way of welcoming Paul back home today. If you're too young [or weren't alive yet] to have seen and fully appreciated Larry in all of his imperial majesty it makes sense that you're gonna side with Paul, the preeminent star of a more contemporary Celtic era. There's nothing wrong with that and, certainly, it's nice to see the deep respect and affection for him, his stellar career in Boston and the vital role he played in the restoration of the Cs historic championship aura.

Larry is not only a Celtics legend and multiple champion but a hoop immortal, one of the greatest players of any era, of all time.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think what Bob Ryan is saying is Pierce had more in his arsenal for pure scoring such as drawing fouls getting to the line, transition buckets ect.  Didn't Robert Parish say the same thing who played with Bird?  Bird was a killer on the court and there is no comparing their overall game, but I can see what Ryan is saying.

Bird's ability to shoot with both hands and he made more variety of shots gives him a much larger arsenal.  If Bird played in the no hand check era, then we would not be having this discussion.   In his era, he has fouled more than PP, but they were not fouls in those days.   If you take this in consideration, which I am guessing most did not, then the foul line argument is moot.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White

3pt line was not a staple of the game at that time and in fact was just introduced to the game.  teams hadn't worked it into their offenses at that time -- stark contrast to the current NBA that lives on it.

TP
I didn't think I would have to explain this to forum members

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
I refuse to make a choice. It's like saying who do you love more...your mother or your father. I am not picking and devaluing the other in any way. Love them both the same!!

The thread is, by no means, not meants as a putdown of Paul Pierce or his basketball skills.  He'll always be a special player to me  :)
It's just that Larry is, to me, one of the ten greatest players ever.

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
But who's saying Paul Pierce is the Celtic's best scorer?

I never ever agreed with that assertion, either. Not trying to be rude, but is this some ESPN thing that their talking about or?

What I do believe is that Pierce has been one of the most underrated stars of his era, of all time.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Bird's ability to shoot with both hands and he made more variety of shots gives him a much larger arsenal.  If Bird played in the no hand check era, then we would not be having this discussion.   In his era, he has fouled more than PP, but they were not fouls in those days.   If you take this in consideration, which I am guessing most did not, then the foul line argument is moot.

I agree. They played in different eras, but Larry was an MVP-level player in his, while Paul was a solid AllStar in his.  Comparing their primes, Larry scored more points and shot a higher FG% and 3PT%. It's only in raw FTs that Pierce makes up ground, and that's a product of a less physical game in the Captain's era.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&hint=Larry+Bird&player_id1_select=Larry+Bird&y1=1985&player_id1=birdla01&hint=Paul+Pierce&player_id2_select=Paul+Pierce&y2=2006&player_id2=piercpa01

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 06:02:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's Bird.  Who's a better pure scorer between peak Bird and this year's IT is a more interesting debate to me.

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 06:09:51 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Love Pierce....but he would be coming off the Bench for the 1986 Celtics.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.