Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113774 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
"UNREAL Luka Doncic 🇸🇮 in first 4 @EuroLeague games!
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

Yeah — I don’t see how anyone thinks he isn’t the top prospect available.

Based off the fact that it's a four game sample and we haven't even gotten a chance to see Bagley, Porter, Ayton or Bamba yet i'd say i'm far from sold. But ya, he's impressive. Gonna be a battle for #1.

« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

Based off the fact that it's a four game sample and we haven't even gotten a chance to see Bagley, Porter, Ayton or Bamba yet i'd say i'm far from sold. But ya, he's impressive. Gonna be a battle for #1.

I mean, there’s also the sample that was all of last season, as well as Eurobasket this summer.  While all the others were playing on a AAU teams, Doncic was a top player on arguably the best team outside of the NBA.

But I will bet that none of the other four put up numbers over four games that match this four-game stretch in college this year, much less a professional league.

« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)
Wow that efficiency.

Doncic has been my guy since day 1. Not sure how well he fits in Boston, but he's too good

I was going to say he could play the 2, sliding Jaylen to the 3, with a starting lineup of Kyrie, Doncic, Brown, Tatum, Horford, but then remembered Hayward.  In other words, the thought of Doncic all year might help ease the pain of Hayward’s injury (my pain that is, not his).  Since Hayward does exist, I think Doncic could come off the bench initially, and be a capable 6th man from day one, spelling virtually everyone but Horford.

I would love to get the second pick and for this to happen. ;D

« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)
Wow that efficiency.

Doncic has been my guy since day 1. Not sure how well he fits in Boston, but he's too good

I was going to say he could play the 2, sliding Jaylen to the 3, with a starting lineup of Kyrie, Doncic, Brown, Tatum, Horford, but then remembered Hayward.  In other words, the thought of Doncic all year might help ease the pain of Hayward’s injury (my pain that is, not his).  Since Hayward does exist, I think Doncic could come off the bench initially, and be a capable 6th man from day one, spelling virtually everyone but Horford.

I would love to get the second pick and for this to happen. ;D

After the stupid Lakers game (I bailed after the 4th quarter, I had a feeling about the outcome) I am just going to count out getting a top 5 pick.  Even if they finish with a bottom 3 record, I am trying to not get excited until the draft order is official. 

The fact that any one of those picks should yield at least one of those top 5 guys, but the quality there should be at #2 or even #3 where the guy maybe would've gone #1 half the years of the past decade or two. 

Doncic is definitely one of those guys, along with Bagley, and Porter, for now. The big guys to me are more long-term projects (Ayton with skills, Bamba with body/strength, with Robert Williams as the X-factor).
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

Doncic has a ceiling imposed by his athleticism.  He's an average to slightly above average athlete.  Average wingspan, good motor.  He's also a very savvy, high IQ player who's surely at least a solid rotation player in the NBA.  He's noticeably slower than someone like Hayward or Pierce at the same age, but he has that Ginobli gene where he plays 1 step ahead of others mentally.

I still put his ceiling at Gordon Hayward.  We can all agree he's not Lebron.  He's not Kawhi Leonard.  On the right team, he can be a high-grade rotation player.  Maybe a 3rd option on a contender. 

« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

Doncic has a ceiling imposed by his athleticism.  He's an average to slightly above average athlete.  Average wingspan, good motor.  He's also a very savvy, high IQ player who's surely at least a solid rotation player in the NBA.  He's noticeably slower than someone like Hayward or Pierce at the same age, but he has that Ginobli gene where he plays 1 step ahead of others mentally.

I still put his ceiling at Gordon Hayward.  We can all agree he's not Lebron.  He's not Kawhi Leonard.  On the right team, he can be a high-grade rotation player.  Maybe a 3rd option on a contender.

I'm sorry, but do you happen to have a lot of Paul Pierce freshman year game footage you're pulling up to say that Doncic at 18 is noticeably slower than Pierce at 18?  Freshman year Hayward?   ::)

« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

I'm sorry, but do you happen to have a lot of Paul Pierce freshman year game footage you're pulling up to say that Doncic at 18 is noticeably slower than Pierce at 18?  Freshman year Hayward?   ::)
I literally watched both of those guys through their entire college and pro careers.  Nearly every game for Pierce.  No less than half of all the games Hayward ever played.

« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2017, 10:22:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

I literally watched both of those guys through their entire college and pro careers.  Nearly every game for Pierce.  No less than half of all the games Hayward ever played.

You must have an amazing memory then.  I watched a lot of Pierce in college too, but 20 years later I couldn't tell you if he was noticeably quicker or slower than anyone I watch today, and I certainly couldn't separate Paul Pierce as a freshman from Paul Pierce as a junior in my memory.

« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Thing about Doncic is even if we luck out and have a shot at him, where do we play him? If all goes as we hope and Hayward is back 100%, you have GH, J Brown, J Taytum, M Morris, Semi Ojeleye at the wing. Do you honestly draft Doncic to take minutes from that crew or back up Kyrie instead of taking one of the very talented players available at the 4 or 5?

I think you’d need to be convinced LD’s  ceiling was much higher than the bigs. Someone like Ayton has a grown man body now - 7-foot and 260, lean and strong. There’s a picture of him next to D Howard at age 17 - he’s got the same body type(!) very fluid, and  he can shoot. Barring an issue with his motor or B.B. IQ, someone like that slots into Baynes’ spot at 20 minutes/game right away and provides a major upgrade in talent.

All a pipe dream of course, barring lottery luck.... but hard not to indulge a little.

« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Thing about Doncic is even if we luck out and have a shot at him, where do we play him? If all goes as we hope and Hayward is back 100%, you have GH, J Brown, J Taytum, M Morris, Semi Ojeleye at the wing. Do you honestly draft Doncic to take minutes from that crew or back up Kyrie instead of taking one of the very talented players available at the 4 or 5?

I think you’d need to be convinced LD’s  ceiling was much higher than the bigs. Someone like Ayton has a grown man body now - 7-foot and 260, lean and strong. There’s a picture of him next to D Howard at age 17 - he’s got the same body type(!) very fluid, and  he can shoot. Barring an issue with his motor or B.B. IQ, someone like that slots into Baynes’ spot at 20 minutes/game right away and provides a major upgrade in talent.

All a pipe dream of course, barring lottery luck.... but hard not to indulge a little.

If we got Doncic, I'm sure they would work out a solution to give him minutes - that is not an issue at all IMO. But again as you say, it is unlikely he comes our way.

« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
24.0 PPG
65.4% 2PT
43.5% 3PT
88.9% FT
6.8 RPG
3.8 APG
1.3 SPG
6.8 FRV
32.3 EFF
27.1 MPG" (Sportando)

You must have an amazing memory then.  I watched a lot of Pierce in college too, but 20 years later I couldn't tell you if he was noticeably quicker or slower than anyone I watch today, and I certainly couldn't separate Paul Pierce as a freshman from Paul Pierce as a junior in my memory.
What does Freshman or Junior have to do with anything?  It's not like you suddenly become quick during your 3rd year of college.  If anything, you tend to add bulk, possibly even slow down a bit. Maybe gain a little burst with a serious weight regimen if you came in underdeveloped.

I have a fine memory, but everything is on Youtube too.  Doesn't take a PHD to see that Doncic isn't an elite athlete.

« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2017, 05:25:35 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2017, 05:46:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Doncic Euroleague stats after 8 games

(rank is per game)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7djjui/luka_doncic_after_first_8_euroleague_games/

I don't know how to evaluate European players, but that is amazing for an 18 year old.  TP for the info.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:00:05 AM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2017, 06:04:06 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
Doncic Euroleague stats after 8 games

(rank is per game)

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7djjui/luka_doncic_after_first_8_euroleague_games/

I don't know how to evaluate European players, but that is amazing for an 18 year old.  TP for the info.

Just for the context, Real Madrid recently lost their two best big men to long term injuries, Anthony Randolph and Gustavo Ayon. They had already lost Llull, their best ball handler. This is like Boston losing Kyrie, Hayward and Horford; yet Tatum torching opponents. So while Doncic might have even higher usage rate than he would normally have, he handled it very well.

« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2017, 06:45:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Pass on Doncic

Praying for bagley jr or bamba

Im weary of Ayton work ethic