Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113607 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2017, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
The kid has Ginobili skills in much bigger body.  Great shooter, strong in driving to the rim with some nasty ball handling skills.

Not sure how good his defense is and also he is not too fast. So speed and defense might be a problem.

EDIT: for comparison Paul George comes in mind in terms of body and shooting, but in terms of playing style i see some Ginobili in his handling and passing
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:30:45 PM by vgulab »

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Well, Danny won't draft him...he never drafts Euros.

Wait, what?

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2017, 01:30:48 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The Gallinari comp works because he's white, and the rule is you can only compare white guys to other white guys.
Actually, if you are working for Rockets GM D. Morrey, you can only make a cross-race comparison. I guess then you have to be more creative. He gave a Dekker/H.Barnes comparison, Zach Lowe gave Manu/Harden. For Dončić, the closest I can come up with is Penny, because of the size and court vision.

I heard that too. I want to ask Daryl Morey to give me a white guy comp for Russell Westbrook.

There is no comp for Westbrook, white, black or green.

Insert Kermit the Frog meme where he is sipping his drink and telling you how he was a Tier 1 prospect before back to back ACL surgeries.

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2017, 01:38:58 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The Gallinari comp works because he's white, and the rule is you can only compare white guys to other white guys.
Actually, if you are working for Rockets GM D. Morrey, you can only make a cross-race comparison. I guess then you have to be more creative. He gave a Dekker/H.Barnes comparison, Zach Lowe gave Manu/Harden. For Dončić, the closest I can come up with is Penny, because of the size and court vision.

I heard that too. I want to ask Daryl Morey to give me a white guy comp for Russell Westbrook.

Insert Kermit the Frog meme where he is sipping his drink and telling you how he was a Tier 1 prospect before back to back ACL surgeries.

LOL tp gift.
#JKJB

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I guess there was a Westbrook comp after all.  Well played.

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:26 AM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
Doncic against Barcelona in Euroleague yesterday:

5 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 5 fouls received, 0 turnovers... in 20 minutes.

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2017, 02:15:27 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He fills up a stat sheet.  Would love him and Fultz together.

Also we could draft him and we would be an ideal bench player at first that would allow us to keep our current team, but make it better while he progresses.  Just a great fit for us.

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2017, 04:01:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
 ::) guys are comparing him to Penny Hardaway...a guy on the level of the what if guys (he would've been in the conversation for GOAT SGs if he wasn't plagued by injuries) to a guy who's contributing normal stats in Europe at a very young age (very impressive by itself but are we really comparing the two? I think it's an insult to Anfernee Hardaway, who made an all nba team in his rookie season while Doncic most likely wouldn't even be in the conversation for a spot).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Double post sincere apologies
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 04:10:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Somebody: I didn't say it was my comparison, but in the local press it is the most proposed (I think due to height, passing and ball handling). My opinion about him is very high, but incomplete.
:o I see their point but [dang] Doncic's handling is not elite while Penny's was in his era. Passing wise I think they're almost the same but that's only one facet of the game and they do them in different styles. I'm high on luka (project him to be a rich man's Gallinari with ball handling) but I think he's being overhyped a little (accomplishments are very impressive but still not buying that he'll be anything close to what Penny or other what if greats did in their first few seasons). Anyways thanks for clarifying, appreciate the response
I am going to preface this by saying I don't know enough about this kid to say he's like this guy or that guy, however everything I have read he is a really good to great passer, can play make off the dribble for teammates and all that. So you go after the penny comparison saying it's bad because of handling and then compare him to a guy that averages 1.9 assists a game in his career never averaged 3 assists a game so sounds like a pretty sloppy comparison there as well.

Well I did say very good ball handling skills, I left out better passing and court vision so yeah apologies but Gallinari plus those would be similar to Doncic I think
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Guys, are you watching this "kid"?
https://youtu.be/OB60sYnXPS4
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Thanks for sharing this vid.  For those who haven't watched, it's not a highlight video, but rather is an 8-minute cut-up of most of the plays Doncic was involved in.  His line from the game was 15 points on 6-12, 13 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals, 2 TO.  If you have the 8 minutes, I recommend watching it.  If not, start watching around the 3:30 mark for a ridiculous pass.

Normally the draftees from Europe are talked about as being the best prospect from Europe as a way to hype on draft night.  But when Doncic is selected next year, there's a very real chance he could be the best player in Europe at the time of his selection.

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Most surprising strenght in his game is the willingnes to initiate contact. A thing that 18 y/olds don't often do, and he is going against 28 y/old ex-NBA players and Europeans elite. That shows his mental toughnes to me. He also uses both of his hands, while trying to find the angle to score or pass. That increases free throw rate IMO.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Thanks for the link.  Watching him, I don't see a Hardaway comp, who to my memory was more fluid and athletic.  He's got more of a herky jerky, careful, probing way of attacking that reminds me more of a guy like Harden.  If I really want to go out on a limb I see a little of Larry Bird.

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:44 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Those passes are just sick.

Added bonus: He's playing against BKN in that video.

Mike