Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113827 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Nice video on DX:  http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Luka-Doncic---Pick-and-Roll-Passing-5800/

Kid looks like an NBA player at 17.

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 01:08:56 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Doncic turned 18 this week. No more 17 year-old Euroleague phenom.  Ah well.

To celebrate his increase in years, he went for 13/8/8 on 5-7 shooting in his first Euroleague game as an 18 year-old (albeit if a rare loss for Real Madrid.)

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How does he do on shooting, rebounding, and defense?

Marcus Smart woulda stolen that ball and Bradley woulda never let him get that far

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How does he do on shooting, rebounding, and defense?

Marcus Smart woulda stolen that ball and Bradley woulda never let him get that far
He's just a swiss army knife, solid at everything. I guess he'll be a rich man's Gallinari who could also handle the ball but I really don't think he'll be anything close to what people are hyping him up to be like Penny Hardaway (that's way off base)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2017, 03:05:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Somebody: I didn't say it was my comparison, but in the local press it is the most proposed (I think due to height, passing and ball handling). My opinion about him is very high, but incomplete.
:o I see their point but [dang] Doncic's handling is not elite while Penny's was in his era. Passing wise I think they're almost the same but that's only one facet of the game and they do them in different styles. I'm high on luka (project him to be a rich man's Gallinari with ball handling) but I think he's being overhyped a little (accomplishments are very impressive but still not buying that he'll be anything close to what Penny or other what if greats did in their first few seasons). Anyways thanks for clarifying, appreciate the response
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2017, 04:18:50 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
The kid is still very young, he's growing and developing his body, and of course his game, but he's nothing like Gallinari.

Luka Doncic has more fight in one finger than most Euro wing prospects I've seen in a decade. The kid is a fierce competitor, and he would be more like a Paul Pierce than any other comparison. I'd like to see him staying with Real Madrid this season and two more, but I guess he'll declare in 2018.

If he keeps his progression, he could play 1-3 and only suffer with fast PGs on the defensive side. He's a strong rebounder, clutch scorer and there is no way you compare him to Gallinari:

https://youtu.be/Dax24qnY9pU

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2017, 05:34:14 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
He looks like he is in a Manu/Kukoč mold. Thats a killer combo in my book. Extremely creative. 18 years and Slovenian. Thats like a safer bet than a Canadian player, mentality and work ethic wise. Gimme some of that. 
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Somebody: I didn't say it was my comparison, but in the local press it is the most proposed (I think due to height, passing and ball handling). My opinion about him is very high, but incomplete.
:o I see their point but [dang] Doncic's handling is not elite while Penny's was in his era. Passing wise I think they're almost the same but that's only one facet of the game and they do them in different styles. I'm high on luka (project him to be a rich man's Gallinari with ball handling) but I think he's being overhyped a little (accomplishments are very impressive but still not buying that he'll be anything close to what Penny or other what if greats did in their first few seasons). Anyways thanks for clarifying, appreciate the response
I am going to preface this by saying I don't know enough about this kid to say he's like this guy or that guy, however everything I have read he is a really good to great passer, can play make off the dribble for teammates and all that. So you go after the penny comparison saying it's bad because of handling and then compare him to a guy that averages 1.9 assists a game in his career never averaged 3 assists a game so sounds like a pretty sloppy comparison there as well.

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
The Gallinari comp works because he's white, and the rule is you can only compare white guys to other white guys.

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2017, 04:59:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
The Gallinari comp works because he's white, and the rule is you can only compare white guys to other white guys.
Actually, if you are working for Rockets GM D. Morrey, you can only make a cross-race comparison. I guess then you have to be more creative. He gave a Dekker/H.Barnes comparison, Zach Lowe gave Manu/Harden. For Dončić, the closest I can come up with is Penny, because of the size and court vision.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Actually, if you are working for Rockets GM D. Morrey, you can only make a cross-race comparison. I guess then you have to be more creative. He gave a Dekker/H.Barnes comparison, Zach Lowe gave Manu/Harden. For Dončić, the closest I can come up with is Penny, because of the size and court vision.

It's really hard to think up a comp for Doncic because his defining characteristic right now is that he's above average~good at everything despite being seventeen freaking years old.  I think you'd need to see him develop another year or so before you can figure out what his eventual elite abilities will be.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I heard that too. I want to ask Daryl Morey to give me a white guy comp for Russell Westbrook.

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 12:09:10 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I heard that too. I want to ask Daryl Morey to give me a white guy comp for Russell Westbrook.
So we are looking for an athletic white guard, about 6'4, that is fast, pushes it in the transition, can score, can pass and is a hard nosed competitor with great motor.
That one is easy, Danny Ainge!

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

It's really hard to think up a comp for Doncic because his defining characteristic right now is that he's above average~good at everything despite being seventeen freaking years old.  I think you'd need to see him develop another year or so before you can figure out what his eventual elite abilities will be.
The closest I can come up with is a faster, right handed Toni Kukoč. He is about 2 inches shorter, but just turned 18 so he could add 1% of total height. I had a privilege to watch Toni dominate Europe at age of 19, something unparalled since, but Dončić has that opportunity playing for Madrid. Mostly known as a forward, Toni was a guard back then. And a true matchup nightmare. He was much faster without that weight he put on in the Benetton club and even more in Chicago. First 360 dunk I ever saw was his transition one in 1989. Kukoč was so good in Europe that he won his 3rd straight Europan championship with Split even after two future NBA players, later Celtics Rađa and Žan Tabak, went international.
Dončić has his floor vision and many fundamentals paired with great lenght.

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell

There is no comp for Westbrook, white, black or green.