Author Topic: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread  (Read 113796 times)

Re: Luka Doncic Awareness Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 17, 2017, 06:21:35 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Dončić now, at age of 18, is head and shoulders above what Larry was then.

This is pretty comical.   I doubt you seen much or early Larry Bird.   If I had a dollar for every guy you hyped up from the Euroleague that busted, I bet I could have a good night on the town with a nicedinner, a movie and a taxi for two.

There is not much tape of Bird in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8YYBqBHlg

that I am aware of, but here is some in college in 77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zmV209ews

I know he is a few years older  in 77 game but Bird was way better .
You have clearly mistaken me for someone else, I don't hype Euroleague players. I cheer for every Croatian, my homies. Dončić, Slovenian, is projected to be go 1-4 in the draft.
I think that it is widely regarded that top Euroleague and Eurochampionship players are better than the top NCAA players since the level of competition is much tougher.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #256 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You hyped your native country members pretty hard.   But that is you're right and it is a good thing to be proud of your country and to love it.

I think Doncic can play by the way but I don't think that physically he is a super athlete.  I think he has great hand eye coordination, but not superb run and jump athleticism.   That being said he is not unathletic.

« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2018, 04:33:43 AM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Doncic actually has a lot of James Harden qualities to me. He can dunk, but not an insane leaper. He has a great first step, and knack for using his defenders momentum against them, but he is not "nba quick" to the eye. He has a slightly strange release point on his outside shot, but it seems to go in often. Every finish is so ugly that it's beautiful.

Didn't Harden win 6th man when he was on the Thunder?

I think in our rotation, he could be that role easily, and be that missing scoring option/floor general for the second unit.

Sharing the floor with Kyrie, and two floor spacing wings like Tatum and Hayward would be absolutely nasty.

Again, I still see it hard if we are sitting there at #2 and one of Ayton/Bagley is staring Aigne in the face, that he doesn't pull the trigger.....if anything, to then flip one of them to New Orleans for AD, which he allegedly covets (and he is a big).

I think there are 7 elite talents with different skillsets that fill immediate needs for our bench, or Ayton/Bagley as an eventual starting big.

Really thinking about trying to find a way to poison the gatorade in the home team locker room at Staples Center. I live in San Diego. So i'm pretty close! 😂

« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Better and better every week. I told you months ago (I can watch him play every week) that he has to be nº1 pick overall unless any other player breaks it and is projected as a franchise cornerstone like Lebron or Ewing were seen in their drafts.

Doncic is an improved mix of Scottie Pippen and Toni Kukoc. Long, skilled, savvy and crafty. Even though he plays for Real, I have to admit so.

« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Better and better every week. I told you months ago (I can watch him play every week) that he has to be nº1 pick overall unless any other player breaks it and is projected as a franchise cornerstone like Lebron or Ewing were seen in their drafts.

Doncic is an improved mix of Scottie Pippen and Toni Kukoc. Long, skilled, savvy and crafty. Even though he plays for Real, I have to admit so.

He's the best European prospect ever, and he's doing unprecedented things, but will that be enough to get him drafted ahead of Ayton and/or Bagley?  Those 2 look the part of future NBA studs- with elite physical tools, dominant stats and plenty of room to grow- and young bigs like Embiid, Davis and KAT show that the PF/C position is on the rise again as far as importance.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #260 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

He's the best European prospect ever, and he's doing unprecedented things, but will that be enough to get him drafted ahead of Ayton and/or Bagley?  Those 2 look the part of future NBA studs- with elite physical tools, dominant stats and plenty of room to grow- and young bigs like Embiid, Davis and KAT show that the PF/C position is on the rise again as far as importance

While it may seem so, it is debatable. Neither the Pelicans (Davis), the Kings (Cousins), the Knicks (Porzingis), the Sixers (Embiid*) or the Wolves (Towns) have been playing beyond April. They are very young, but...facts are facts.

PF/C matter, but they are not a requisite to be successful in today's NBA as they used to be (Shaq, Olajuwon, Jabbar, etc).

Being the first pick or not will depend on their seasons, injuries, team needs and measures (they are still growing).

« Reply #261 on: January 02, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

He's the best European prospect ever, and he's doing unprecedented things, but will that be enough to get him drafted ahead of Ayton and/or Bagley?  Those 2 look the part of future NBA studs- with elite physical tools, dominant stats and plenty of room to grow- and young bigs like Embiid, Davis and KAT show that the PF/C position is on the rise again as far as importance.

I think he is special but I wouldn't go as far as best prospect ever.... Kukoc, Drazen and Sabonis were also unbelievable from very young age too....

But being in this discussion is by it self not a small thing

« Reply #262 on: January 02, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I think he is special but I wouldn't go as far as best prospect ever.... Kukoc, Drazen and Sabonis were also unbelievable from very young age too....

Sabonis would have been the No.1 overall pick in many of the drafts, if teams knew he would come over stateside within a year, between '85 and '90 or so (before turning 30), even though he didn't come over here for 10 years after he was last drafted.
Dirk was a highly touted prospect as well. More so than Doncic or Kucoc.

« Reply #263 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:22 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Sabonis would have been the No.1 overall pick in many of the drafts, if teams knew he would come over stateside within a year, between '85 and '90 or so (before turning 30), even though he didn't come over here for 10 years after he was last drafted.
Couldn't be further away from the truth. I haven't heard of Dirk before he went to Dallas.
Pau Gasol for instance was much more known to the general public at the time.
Kukoč was super popular at the time of his Euro dominance, after that, playing with the 3peat Bulls made him even more popular. Even though he is so phlegmatic and not that interested in the media by nature.
@Dario Spanish fan can surely tell of Dončićs popularity in the Spain now. In Croatia, already superficial basketball followers know about him.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #264 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Couldn't be further away from the truth. I haven't heard of Dirk before he went to Dallas.
Kukoč was super popular at the time of his Euro dominance, after that, playing with the 3peat Bulls made him even more popular. Even though he is so phlegmatic and not that interested in the media by nature.
@Dario Spanish fan can surely tell of Dončićs popularity in the Spain now. In Croatia, already superficial basketball followers know about him.
You may have wanted to say "I couldn't disagree more" instead of "couldn't be further from the truth". Not so.
Here is what his coach said when he seen him. You can look it up yourself about what a hard-on the Mavs had for Dirk.
Don Nelson on scouting and drafting Dirk Nowitzki, 'The best young player I had ever seen'
Edit: And as we all know, the C's wanted Dirk badly in that draft.

« Reply #265 on: January 02, 2018, 02:03:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

You may have wanted to say "I couldn't disagree more" instead of "couldn't be further from the truth". Not so.
Here is what his coach said when he seen him. You can look it up yourself about what a hard-on the Mavs had for Dirk.
Don Nelson on scouting and drafting Dirk Nowitzki, 'The best young player I had ever seen'
Some people liked him, but he went 9th.  Doncic is definitely more of a sure thing. 

« Reply #266 on: January 02, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I have to agree with Androslav. Stateside, Dirk got very little hype. Boston was one of the only very few teams to scout him. It was quite the shock when Dallas chose him as most thought he was headed to the Celtics since they were mostly associated with him.

The players that got all the predraft hype were Olowokandi, Pierce, Carter, Jamison, and LaFrentz. You heard very little about Dirk, especially since Euros barely ever got drafted in the top of the draft and few teams scouted overseas.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:21:29 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #267 on: January 02, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Dirk was highly regarded prospect but nowhere near the the level Doncic is today. Doncic leads Real Madrid at 18 while Dirk played in the second German division.

Kukoc at 19 lead Yugoplastica to the title and followed with 3 consecutive European championships by 23

Dirk's biggest achievement was MVP of the German championship at 22... Not a big deal considering the level of the German league at the time.

Dirk has better carrier than Kukoc and probably than Doncic too but at 18-20 y.o. there is absolutely no comparison 

« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Dirk was highly regarded prospect but nowhere near the the level Doncic is today. Doncic leads Real Madrid at 18 while Dirk played in the second German division.

Kukoc at 19 lead Yugoplastica to the title and followed with 3 consecutive European championships by 23

Dirk's biggest achievement was MVP of the German championship at 22... Not a big deal considering the level of the German league at the time.

Dirk has better carrier than Kukoc and probably than Doncic too but at 18-20 y.o. there is absolutely no comparison
Huh? You mean after he was in the league for 3 years?
There's an article from a few years ago where Don Nelson went through this whole thing when his kid found Dirk and he did everything in his power to keep Dirk away from other teams by telling not to work out for them and not to interview, etc. It's why teams are all over the Euro circuit. They don't want to miss out on the next Dirk. Look at Bender. He played in a crap league yet he was talked about being a top 2 or 3 pick based on what exactly? It wasn't his game logs, that's for sure.

« Reply #269 on: January 02, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Huh? You mean after he was in the league for 3 years?
There's an article from a few years ago where Don Nelson went through this whole thing when his kid found Dirk and he did everything in his power to keep Dirk away from other teams by telling not to work out for them and not to interview, etc. It's why teams are all over the Euro circuit. They don't want to miss out on the next Dirk. Look at Bender. He played in a crap league yet he was talked about being a top 2 or 3 pick based on what exactly? It wasn't his game logs, that's for sure.

Bender played for Maccabi Tel Aviv. They have 6 European championships.