Author Topic: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?  (Read 1380 times)

Re: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 365
I know he'll strike some as too East Coast elitish, but I like Al Franken a lot. Not only do I support many of this policies, he has a way of incisively cutting to the point of an issue.

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2017, 03:48:57 PM »

Online mef730

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 328
Moved this from the Trump thread, since it's more relevant here.

People feel like the system no longer works for them which is understandable, but burning the systems to the ground probably isn't the solution.
See, the trick wasn't to convince people it's the solution -- it was to convince a small, specific stratum of people that they couldn't possibly be any worse.

No, the trick is how the same people who turned a political nobody like Elizabeth Warren into a bleepin' ROCK STAR because she railed against income inequality and other economic problems have now magically concluded that there's no reason for anyone to be bothered by anything.

Mike

Actually, Republicans helped turn her into a rock star by blocking her nomination to head the CFPB.  Before then she was a law professor/technocrat.  After that, she became someone whom Republicans feared, and therefore someone for liberals to lionize.

Since I've seen her name bandied about here (Elizabeth Warren), I have to wonder, how do Democrats legitimately justify supporting a person who lied about their ancestry, claiming to be be a minority, when in fact they weren't. I mean, I guess for the state that looked the other way on Ted Kennedy, I shouldn't be surprised.

I mean, c'mon. This party cannot keep putting people like that up for nomination if they want to do us all the favor of ousting Trump.

Dead serious, if Obama had been up for re-election against Trump I could have stomached voting for him. [dang] the term limits, at least Obama was a good person who had (mostly) honest intentions. But I'm not voting for someone I disagree with, and also despise for ethical reasons. At least give me someone I can look at and think, "okay there's a honest, decent person".

Outside of the fact NH is pretty much a solid "Blue" state now, voters like me are who the Democrats should be after. I agree with probably 30% of their platform, although the rest I strongly disagree with, but if the party would move back towards the middle a bit and put forth a candidate with actual integrity a lot of voters like me could still be swayed.

I'm a Democrat and I don't care much about it. It's just not on my radar screen. I would have the same non-concerns if it were a Republican.

I do have concerns about her policy positions and I don't think that it would do the Democrats any good to nominate someone so adversarial. On the other hand, I like the fact that when the Republicans punch, she punches back. She wouldn't be my first choice.

Mike
Some people hate the Donald. Some people hate Hillary. But everybody hates Caillou.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 07:44:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: -28271
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Despite the publicís increasing misgivings about Trumpís behavior and tactics in the White House, he still beats Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) in a hypothetical matchup, 42 percent to 36 percent ó a fairly impressive margin for a less-than-popular president against the prominent senator.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/poll-trump-democrats-elizabeth-warren-235026

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:14 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1164
Despite the publicís increasing misgivings about Trumpís behavior and tactics in the White House, he still beats Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) in a hypothetical matchup, 42 percent to 36 percent ó a fairly impressive margin for a less-than-popular president against the prominent senator.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/poll-trump-democrats-elizabeth-warren-235026
Democrats please, for the love of everything decent, do not nominate Liz Warren for POTUS.  I like having far left and far right voices in the senate.  It's good to have different perspectives there - it is a chamber designed for debate. I like that Warren has a voice in the senate.  But the POTUS , IMO, should be moderate and pragmatic.  It will be colosolly stupid for Dems to nominate Warren.

I dont know who will emerge as a practical,  smart and charismatic enough candidate, but if they can't find a person able to defeat Liz Warren in the primaries, shame, shame on the democratic party.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:08:07 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2017, 02:22:58 AM »

Offline feckless

• Isaiah Thomas
  • Tommy Points: 68
Sad to say I see no Obama out there and Bernie and Joe Biden are too old.  The most impressive new Democratic blood I see, recently, comes from the House Intelligence committee--Congressmen Adam Schiff, Jim Himes and Eric Swalwell have all impressed.  I have also heard good things about California Senator Kamala Harris.  I also thought Tim Kaine had an honest folksy quality about him.

indeedproceed in another post you mention that you live in Elise Stefanik's district I am just south of you in John Faso's district--I guess it would be too much to hope for their defeat. Maybe if the Trump Russia connection unfolds and Manafort covers himself with "Trump was in on it?."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 10:47:35 AM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt