Author Topic: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?  (Read 2126 times)

Re: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:09:06 PM »

Offline mef730

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 373
No one has struck me as the ideal moderate democrat who can speak the language of concern for disadvantaged with credible fiscal bona fides and charisma.  Warren is too liberal and divisive IMO, Perez seems like a good guy but I haven't been overly impressed with his ability to articulately and charismatically spin a position.  I think Massachusetts' Seth Moulton is a bright young guy -- with a strong military record, but I don't see him as all that charismatic -- and he's very young.  I like Cory Booker, Chris Van Hollen, Tammy Duckworth, Joe Manchin, and Mark Warner.   Manchin and Warner present credibly as moderates who would see eye to eye with some republicans on some issues.  I like that as a move away from far left vs. far right.  It's why I thought John Kasich was a good candidate for the republicans.     

I am amazed and disappointed that the democrats opted for Nancy Pelosi as their leader again.  Jeez, she is remarkably uninspiring.  Thank goodness Harry Reid is gone -- Schumer isn't the greatest communicator but far better than Reid.   The guy who challenged Pelosi for the leadership role seems like he may be a solid young up-and-comer -- can't recall his name.

I am with you Warren - like you have to be kidding me. She is so much more liberal than Hillary. I would love a woman president and I imagine anybody who runs against Trump will win in 2020, but I really hope the dems don't take the opportunity to put somebody so extreme up for the nomination.

I prefer the NY folks - Schumer and Cuomo - even Bloomberg. Maybe O'Malley will make another run at it(?)

Definitely Cuomo. Definitely not Schumer. I'd be interested in O'Malley.

Mike
Advice for novice frequent flyer mileage junkies: www.frequentflyermiles101.com

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2017, 08:10:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 408
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like Booker, Warren and of course Bernie.  Among them, Booker probably has the best shot at the 2020 nomination.

I'd like to see the fired AG Sally Yates get into the action.  Get on talk shows NOW, while you have everyone's attention.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Check out Jason Kander from Missouri. He lost a close senate race this November. He was the Secretary of State for Missouri. He's got the total package. He's a veteran from the War in Afghanistan. Listened to him on a podcast, he was great.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 178
I'd love to see Obama run for the House or Senate and become a leading opposition voice from that platform.  He'd get the media coverage and has pretty strong national support.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 09:36:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1039
Warren is a loon. Unfortunately, a Cuomo/Warren ticket may be a real possibility for 2020 *sigh*.
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »

Online triboy16f

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 343
I like Booker, Warren and of course Bernie.  Among them, Booker probably has the best shot at the 2020 nomination.

I'd like to see the fired AG Sally Yates get into the action.  Get on talk shows NOW, while you have everyone's attention.

watch it be a wildcard like a Celebrity or someone not from politics

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 370
I love Warren and Bernie. But I really worry about their respective ages. I liked Corey Booker, but then he voted against bringing the pharma import bill to the floor of the Senate, which he suggests he's in Big Pharma's pocket.

What about Julian Castro? He was in Obama's cabinet, was on the VP shortlist, and is young and engaging.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:08 PM »

Online tarheelsxxiii

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1089
    • Yahoo h2h roster
Whoever can offer the greatest number of "safe spaces."
"As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game."
-Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:48 PM »

Online slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8672
Warren is a loon. Unfortunately, a Cuomo/Warren ticket may be a real possibility for 2020 *sigh*.
I find her far from a loon.  I think she's an actual advocate against the Wall Street movers and shakers that were behind the economic mess.  I do think she's considered too liberal by many to get the presidency but she's definitely someone i'd vote for over Trump if it was between the 2 of them.

on a downer of a thought, I had felt very confident that Trump would be such a screwup that he'd be a single term president with no chance at being re-elected.  I'm not so sure now.  granted he's been in office only 2 weeks but he's been worse than anticipated by many who were against him yet I've heard only one person who supported have any sense of buyer's remorse.  the other supporters of his that I know have doubled-down on his lunacy.   I worry that his followers are either in lockstep in believing his ideas/policies are right or just refuse to see the disaster that he is.  I could see him pulling off the same type of win in the next election where he games the system to get the bulk of the electoral votes without winning the popular vote.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 09:56:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
I find her far from a loon.  I think she's an actual advocate against the Wall Street movers and shakers that were behind the economic mess.  I do think she's considered too liberal by many to get the presidency but she's definitely someone i'd vote for over Trump if it was between the 2 of them.
Warren's ideas about how the economy are supposed to work are so far detached from reality that it isn't even fun. She once wondered out loud why the minimum wage isn't $22. I'm not particularly impressed by the fact that she's made it a personal cause to hammer Trump -- he's giving you so much material to go off of that this is pretty much a layup.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 408
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Warren's ideas about how the economy are supposed to work are so far detached from reality that it isn't even fun. She once wondered out loud why the minimum wage isn't $22. I'm not particularly impressed by the fact that she's made it a personal cause to hammer Trump -- he's giving you so much material to go off of that this is pretty much a layup.
That doesn't make her a loon, only someone you don't agree with.  $22/hour is not outrageous and would actually help many Trump supporters (though they don't realize it).  Regarding hammering Trump, that makes her my hero.  The only loon is in the Oval Office.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2017, 10:12:42 PM »

Offline action781

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 304
Huge Seth Moulton fan, but he hasn't been making any even slight pushes towards any national attention.

Loved that guy Jason Kander too.  He had a pretty badass video a while back during his campaign I recall seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio
.................to the
Assistant ^ General Manager for the Pawnee Pacers

Tony Parker, Courtney Lee, Rudy Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol
Jeff Teague, Paul George, Trevor Ariza, Chuck Hayes, Channing Frye
Kemba Walker, Andres Nocioni, Jason Collins

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
That doesn't make her a loon, only someone you don't agree with.  $22/hour is not outrageous and would actually help many Trump supporters (though they don't realize it).  Regarding hammering Trump, that makes her my hero.  The only loon is in the Oval Office.
A $22 federal minimum wage is completely unfeasible and it is definitely not going to help many Trump supporters -- unless  your idea of help consists of finding themselves out of a job. What makes her argument particularly loony is that it was grounded on the idea that minimum wage should be indexed with productivity growth -- while completely ignoring the fact that minimum wage jobs probably didn't see their productivity increase threefold.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1340
  • bammokja
Huge Seth Moulton fan, but he hasn't been making any even slight pushes towards any national attention.

Loved that guy Jason Kander too.  He had a pretty badass video a while back during his campaign I recall seeing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio
You beat me to Seth moulton, rep out of Massachusetts.  He is not the immediate next wave, but the one after that. Extraordinary on many levels.

Raised in Salem, Harvard grad, served four tours as a Marine officer in Iraq War, beat a (wounded by scandal) incumbent Democratic U.S. Rep by 10 points and a popular moderate Republican State Senator by 14 points to win his House seat in 2014, unopposed in 2016. Thoughtful, articulate and energetic. He's only 38.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »

Online slamtheking

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 8672
A $22 federal minimum wage is completely unfeasible and it is definitely not going to help many Trump supporters -- unless  your idea of help consists of finding themselves out of a job. What makes her argument particularly loony is that it was grounded on the idea that minimum wage should be indexed with productivity growth -- while completely ignoring the fact that minimum wage jobs probably didn't see their productivity increase threefold.
$22 minimum wage is the low end of the totem pole as far as her policy/attitude towards the shenanigans conducted by the major financial institutions.  anticipating some of Trump's cabinet pulled from Wall street ending up in front of a congressional investigation.  seems like it's just inevitable