Author Topic: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?  (Read 1379 times)

Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:39:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2242
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A thread to talk about the future of the Democratic party, and any rising stars etc...

DKC League
"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Who are the new Dem voices that will grow over the next 4 yrs?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
This (the dems choices for POTUS and other offices going forward) deserves its own thread. When it gets it, my vote is Tom Perez. Even though he doesn't really 'look' the part, he more kinda looks like the guy your mom started dating that is just 'okay, whatever'.
Tom Perez got some chatter for the DNC late last year. He seems like a nice guy, but I'm not sure what I think about the agressiveness of some of the policies he pushed.

I actually like Perez because of his more aggressive agenda. He seems like a person who believes in what he's doing that believes he can affect change.

For DNC chair, that person has to be inexhaustible, so I hope it is true.

DKC League

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:55:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 804
Cory Booker?   Sherrod Brown?   I don't think Elizabeth Warren will be in the running, she comes across like a whiner to me.

I think sticking with Pelosi was a good idea for the GOP.   It was a bad idea for the Dems, too.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:01:42 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Cory Booker?   Sherrod Brown?   I don't think Elizabeth Warren will be in the running, she comes across like a whiner to me.

I think sticking with Pelosi was a good idea for the GOP.   It was a bad idea for the Dems, too.

I don't like Pelosi. I like Warren, but I think she's too radical and too uncompromising (and honestly too easily mocked) to run.

Booker to me is like this year's 2015-2016 Rockets. People expect the world, but its a house of cards.

DKC League

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 164

I don't like Pelosi. I like Warren, but I think she's too radical and too uncompromising (and honestly too easily mocked) to run.

Booker to me is like this year's 2015-2016 Rockets. People expect the world, but its a house of cards.

Warren was great during the questionings last week, she has 3 years to to add some accomplishments, and she also gets under Trumps skin. He  really doesn't like her. And when he's flustered, is when he can't hold his own. I was hoping she'd be Bernies VP, but the Demacratic party F'd that one up. And the mocking part is no concern, look how easily Trump can be mocked, and he still won.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2480
I think Warren will have a bright future on the national stage as she is very much a fiesty, intelligent, quick witted, antagonistic, very liberal woman that would drive Trump through the roof with her takes on Trump and his policies. I think she could easily garner Bernie's base and be personable enough to light a fire under the redt of the Democratic base to get out and vote. She just doesn't have nearly the unlikeability factor that Hillary had.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:36:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 324
NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio
CA Lt. Gov Gavin Newsome
Former NYC Mayor and billionaire entrepreneur Michael Bloomberg (maybe not officially a Dem, but I think he could play a major role in national politics, if he wanted to).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »

Online rondohondo

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1011
Sam Harris would be a wise decision if he ever wants to run...

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »

Online mef730

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 328
I'll second Gavin Newsome and Cory Booker, and I'll raise you one Julian Castro.

Mike
Some people hate the Donald. Some people hate Hillary. But everybody hates Caillou.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 07:25:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 529
Pete Buttigieg

By the next presidential election he will be a rising star in the democratic party.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1164
No one has struck me as the ideal moderate democrat who can speak the language of concern for disadvantaged with credible fiscal bona fides and charisma.  Warren is too liberal and divisive IMO, Perez seems like a good guy but I haven't been overly impressed with his ability to articulately and charismatically spin a position.  I think Massachusetts' Seth Moulton is a bright young guy -- with a strong military record, but I don't see him as all that charismatic -- and he's very young.  I like Cory Booker, Chris Van Hollen, Tammy Duckworth, Joe Manchin, and Mark Warner.   Manchin and Warner present credibly as moderates who would see eye to eye with some republicans on some issues.  I like that as a move away from far left vs. far right.  It's why I thought John Kasich was a good candidate for the republicans.     

I am amazed and disappointed that the democrats opted for Nancy Pelosi as their leader again.  Jeez, she is remarkably uninspiring.  Thank goodness Harry Reid is gone -- Schumer isn't the greatest communicator but far better than Reid.   The guy who challenged Pelosi for the leadership role seems like he may be a solid young up-and-comer -- can't recall his name.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 241
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Can we find a suitable body to transfer Bernie Sanders consciousness into?

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 529
No one has struck me as the ideal moderate democrat who can speak the language of concern for disadvantaged with credible fiscal bona fides and charisma.  Warren is too liberal and divisive IMO, Perez seems like a good guy but I haven't been overly impressed with his ability to articulately and charismatically spin a position.  I think Massachusetts' Seth Moulton is a bright young guy -- with a strong military record, but I don't see him as all that charismatic -- and he's very young.  I like Cory Booker, Chris Van Hollen, Tammy Duckworth, Joe Manchin, and Mark Warner.   Manchin and Warner present credibly as moderates who would see eye to eye with some republicans on some issues.  I like that as a move away from far left vs. far right.  It's why I thought John Kasich was a good candidate for the republicans.     

I am amazed and disappointed that the democrats opted for Nancy Pelosi as their leader again.  Jeez, she is remarkably uninspiring.  Thank goodness Harry Reid is gone -- Schumer isn't the greatest communicator but far better than Reid.   The guy who challenged Pelosi for the leadership role seems like he may be a solid young up-and-comer -- can't recall his name.
do some research on Pete Buttigieg.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:51:56 PM »

Online jambr380

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 333

I am with you Warren - like you have to be kidding me. She is so much more liberal than Hillary. I would love a woman president and I imagine anybody who runs against Trump will win in 2020, but I really hope the dems don't take the opportunity to put somebody so extreme up for the nomination.

I prefer the NY folks - Schumer and Cuomo - even Bloomberg. Maybe O'Malley will make another run at it(?)

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 08:08:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 804
Al Franken killed in the questions and maybe saved from DeVore.