Author Topic: Avery Bradley Absence?  (Read 3582 times)

Avery Bradley Absence?
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
We've sustained very solid play without him. Does he become centerpiece to a deal?

Re: Avery Bradley Absence?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:02:36 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
We've sustained very solid play without him. Does he become centerpiece to a deal?

We almost lost at home to the Raptors without their best player in Derozan, so no, I think we really need AB if we want to become a legitimate contender. Unless we get back a guy like Cousins, I wouldn't trade him.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense

We almost lost at home to the Raptors without their second best player in Derozan, so no, I think we really need AB if we want to become a legitimate contender. Unless we get back a guy like Cousins, I wouldn't trade him.

FTFY

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Thomas can't keep scoring 40 points per game and 20 in the fourth. And we can't keep counting on a rookie and 2nd year guard in the clutch.
We need Avery's scoring, shooting and defense.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We are barely winning games we should be blowing out. Not to mention a 3 game losing streak. We miss him tremendously.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
We definitely miss him. He wasn't available at the previous game against the Raptors either when DeRozan smoked us. We can win without him but not as easily. My problem is he seems to be always hurt when we need him. Maybe he is what needs to go in order to improve our team. I love him but I love him playing and not sitting at home.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Avery is probably this team's best defender and second best scorer. He has been sorely missed.

That said, if AB was traded for a big like Noel or Ibaka, I think the Celtics might be an overall better team
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 12:07:25 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:06:06 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Undoubtedly, IT has been covering a bit for Bradley's missing offense. What's he averaging, 17-18 ppg?  I don't think you can rely on 40 pt games from IT to win, without him breaking down. Stevens must be concerned about that. They are still thin in depth, where a injury to a regular doesn't knock them down a notch or two. That's where having another scorer would help. Preferably, somebody who can score and rebound. Maybe a Nurkic, who can probably be had with a non Nets #1 and a bench player. Unless Danny can pull off a Cousins, or an Anthony on the cheap, I think that's the route he should go.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If there's a MAJOR deal (Cousins, Butter, etc.)  it will be either Bradley or Crowder that must go.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What do you guys think of including Bradley in a Butler trade, and also taking Rondo off their hands. Taking Rondo would have to help drive the price down.

Rozier, Bradley, Zeller, Amir, 2018 Nets

for Rondo, Butler, Felicio.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gus49vy

Sign Larry Sanders???

Draft a PG in the offseason.

IT  (Fultz)
Butler  Smart
Crowder   Brown
Horford  Jerebko  Yabusele
KellyO   Mickey   Zizic

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The problem with not having Avery isn't necessarily the first unit, it's that the second unit suffers.  The second unit without Smart is so bad that we've been forced to put Jaylen into the starting lineup. Having him back will make a huge difference.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:24 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
We definitely miss him. He wasn't available at the previous game against the Raptors either when DeRozan smoked us. We can win without him but not as easily. My problem is he seems to be always hurt when we need him. Maybe he is what needs to go in order to improve our team. I love him but I love him playing and not sitting at home.

TP - this exactly!

Plus, he's a FA at the end of next season and will cost big money despite being injury prone. He's playing better this year but we haven't seen him sustain it over a period of time (need a larger sample size). In any trade, I prefer Avery goes out over Crowder 10 out of 10 times.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

TP - this exactly!

Plus, he's a FA at the end of next season and will cost big money despite being injury prone. He's playing better this year but we haven't seen him sustain it over a period of time (need a larger sample size). In any trade, I prefer Avery goes out over Crowder 10 out of 10 times.

TP.!

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
I posted something similar (but convolutely too wordy) the other day:http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=88950.msg2236351#msg2236351

Summary: Bradley was once untouchable in my mind, but now I wonder whether his injuries make him the ideal centerpiece, especially as his value has never been higher and will command a huge contract ahead.  If the rest of his career is spent 30% injured, especially during the playoffs, I'd rather get great value for him in a trade now.

That said, I miss him right now and would love to see him return and stay healthy and help solidify our #2 spot and contend for #1.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline Real World

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Bradley is a nice player.  Good defender, solid jump shooter, plays his ass off, etc.  He's a very solid pro.  The problem is his next contract, and the Celtics roster composition.   They are guard heavy, lack height at the position, and the lottery pick they hold points to taking another guard in the draft.  A very talented one at that.

I think all this points to Bradley being the odd man out.  Smart will be cheaper to resign because he's an RFA, and his shooting percentage is disgustingly poor.  Bradley is the opposite.  He is coming off a bargainish contract, and is going to be looking to get paid.  In the new high salary cap NBA, I don't think teams can overpay mid-tier players.  We're early into the new CBA, and I think the early signings of guys like Steve Adams to 4 year $100 million deals hasn't hurt yet.  Teams, I think anyway, are going to realize that you spend $20-30 million on elite talent, and not on guys like Avery Bradley.   The Celtics are paying Horford $28 million per.  Will have to pay IT4 something similar, and that leaves one more decent payday type player.  I don't think that's Avery Bradley. Thus, I think he's likely to be the player who gets traded.   So long as another team wants him.