Author Topic: The President Trump Thread  (Read 49469 times)

Re: The President Trump Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5059

Meryem Yildirim, 7, left, sitting on the shoulders of her dad, Fatih, of Schaumburg, and Adin Bendat-Appell, 9, on the shoulders of his dad, Rabbi Jordan Bendat-Apell, of Deerfield, during a protest at O'Hare International Airport on Jan 30, 2017. (Nuccio DiNuzzo / Chicago Tribune)

Full story

reddit post

PS @kozlodoev My bad, I should have explained in more detail
Awesome

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 07:10:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 5059
Apparently President Trump told Mitch McConnell that if the democrats attempt to filibuster the Gorsuch nomination that the republicans should "Go nuclear", meaning to change supreme court nomination rules and prevent filibustering at such events. While I dont support the democrats trying to delay or halt Gorsuch's nomination based solely on political reasons(much like how I didnt support republicans doing the same thing to Garland), I am even more against changing rules that have been a part of Congress forever simply to get your man nominated. It smacks of the same type of political "cheating" that has become common with gerrymandering, in other words, I dont like the possible outcome so instead I will just change the rules to get my way.

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline 2short

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 398
Apparently President Trump told Mitch McConnell that if the democrats attempt to filibuster the Gorsuch nomination that the republicans should "Go nuclear", meaning to change supreme court nomination rules and prevent filibustering at such events. While I dont support the democrats trying to delay or halt Gorsuch's nomination based solely on political reasons(much like how I didnt support republicans doing the same thing to Garland), I am even more against changing rules that have been a part of Congress forever simply to get your man nominated. It smacks of the same type of political "cheating" that has become common with gerrymandering, in other words, I dont like the possible outcome so instead I will just change the rules to get my way.
Tp, this is a big big issue.

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »

Online Celtics4ever

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 854
The Senate as it stands will get little done without changing the rules.   I do not like obstruction done from either side anything that gets things moving is fine with me.   I think McConnell is responsible for a lot of gridlock, I can't wait for him to be out of the Senate, he has polarized and made our politics worse.

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister defends the ban

The UAE minister said the US was within its rights to take what he said was a “sovereign decision” concerning immigration the first such remarks in support of Trump's move from the Gulf Arab region.

Sheikh Abdullah also voiced faith in the American administration's assurances that the move was not based on religion, and noted that most of the world's Muslim-majority countries were not covered by the order.

“The is a temporary ban and it will revised in three months, so it is important that we put into consideration this point,” he said following talks with his Russian counterpart in the Emirati capital, Abu Dhabi.

“Some of these countries that were on this list are countries that face structural problems,” he continued. “These countries should try to solve these issues... and these circumstances before trying to solve this issue with the United States.”

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
U.S. Army tanks being moved to Russian border (UPI)

The U.S. Army will send M1A2 Abrams main battle tanks to the Baltic states of Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania along Russia's borders ahead of a NATO operation in the spring.

The tanks participated in joint drills between U.S. and Polish forces but some are being moved to the Baltic states to await a deterrence operation set to reassure the United States' European allies that Washington, D.C., is committed to their defense, The Wall Street Journal reported.

German troops are also arriving in Lithuania, British troops are reinforcing positions in Estonia and Canadian troops are being sent to Latvia.

The United States deployed 87 tanks, 144 armored vehicles and 3,500 troops -- the biggest U.S. deployment in Europe since the end of the Cold War -- to perform regional operations through most of 2017 to combat Russian aggression, the Pentagon said. Another unit will replace the brigade that's currently deployed in Europe in October.

"This is the largest ever U.S. deployment in Poland and it's about deterrence," U.S. Army in Europe commander Gen. Ben Hodges told NBC News. "An outright attack by Russia is unlikely, but the best way to keep it unlikely is to do what we're doing here today."

The United States did not have a single tank in Europe prior to Russian President Vladimir Putin's annexation of Crimea in 2014.

Article on the same subject by NBC

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »

Offline triboy16f

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 376
I just wished he stop twitting

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 671
Trump to focus counter-extremism program solely on Islam

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-extremists-program-exclusiv-idUSKBN15G5VO

This decision does not seem based upon safety or prevention of American Deaths.

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 752
Trump is apparently good with breaking as many of the Constitutional Amendments and U.S. laws as humanly possible.

https://www.thenation.com/article/leaked-draft-of-trumps-religious-freedom-order-reveals-sweeping-plans-to-legalize-discrimination/
Ohio State 2014/15 National Champions.

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2017, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
On the same day Rex Tillerson is confirmed, the House votes to kill a transparency rule for oil companies

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/1/14477314/oil-companies-disclosure-rule-tillerson

One thing that is interesting is to try to project and examine through the lens of history. In general, history cares less and less about rhetoric and more and more about effect/impact. In fact, effect/impact is usually how laws are supposed to be interpreted; this becomes easier in the future. So it is very easy to see something like the above, and buy into the individual rhetoric of why this wouldn't easily lead to corruption, but this is an easy example of something that would be looked back on and historians would say "what were they thinking, of course this facilitates corruption." Same with minimizing Dodd-Frank, etc.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2017, 11:57:09 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 417
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38837263

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/politics/us-australia-trump-turnbull.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — A phone call between President Trump and the Australian prime minister is threatening to develop into a diplomatic rift between two stalwart allies after the two men exchanged harsh words over refugee policy, and Mr. Trump abruptly ended the call.

The phone call last Saturday between Mr. Trump and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull turned contentious after the Australian leader pressed the president to honor an agreement to accept 1,250 refugees from an Australian detention center.

Late Wednesday night, Mr. Trump reiterated his anger over the agreement on Twitter. He called the agreement a “dumb deal” and blamed the Obama administration for accepting it but then said that he would “study” it. The tweet was posted after The Washington Post reported details of the phone call.

The leaders of the two allies did not seem to agree on the outcome of the conversation. Mr. Trump’s tweet suggested the agreement could be at risk while Mr. Turnbull said that, despite the bluntness of the discussion, the United States had committed to upholding the arrangement.

The flare-up — and conflicting characterizations of the call from Mr. Trump and Mr. Turnbull — threatened to do lasting damage to relations between the two countries and could drive Canberra closer to China, which has a robust trading relationship with Australia and is competing with Washington to become the dominant force in the Asia-Pacific region.

A senior Trump administration official said the president told Mr. Turnbull on Saturday that the refugees could include the “next Boston bombers.” He also said he was “going to get killed” politically by the deal, given that the day before he signed an executive order to stem the refugee flow into the United States and refuse visas for all citizens from seven Muslim countries.

This fine little tidbit is also in this story:

It was not the only awkward call last week between Mr. Trump and a world leader. Earlier, on Friday, Mr. Trump joked to President Enrique Peña Nieto of Mexico that he would deploy troops to Mexico if the Mexican government failed to control “bad hombres down there.”

On Wednesday night, the senior Trump administration official said the president’s comments to Mr. Peña Nieto were made in jest and the comments reflected Mr. Trump’s standing offer to help Mexico battle drug gangs and control border crossings. The official said the conversation between the two presidents was friendly, and Mr. Peña Nieto did not appear to be offended.

The Mexican government issued a statement denying the A.P. report and said it did not “correspond to reality.”
NBA Officiating - Corrupt? Incompetent? Which is worse? Does it matter? It sucks.

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2244
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
On the same day Rex Tillerson is confirmed, the House votes to kill a transparency rule for oil companies

http://www.vox.com/2017/2/1/14477314/oil-companies-disclosure-rule-tillerson

One thing that is interesting is to try to project and examine through the lens of history. In general, history cares less and less about rhetoric and more and more about effect/impact. In fact, effect/impact is usually how laws are supposed to be interpreted; this becomes easier in the future. So it is very easy to see something like the above, and buy into the individual rhetoric of why this wouldn't easily lead to corruption, but this is an easy example of something that would be looked back on and historians would say "what were they thinking, of course this facilitates corruption." Same with minimizing Dodd-Frank, etc.

Semi-related, but just today, on Tillerson's first day, we loosened the sanctions against Russia to allow certain transactions with the FSB (former KGB)

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cyber_gl1.pdf

Aggression in Ukraine has also shot up since the inauguration, despite a cease-fire.

http://www.newsweek.com/while-trump-fiddles-putin-steps-war-ukraine-550603

I see the tank movements posted above, but I don't think there's been a peep from the government on Ukraine so far. And we don't appear to be extracting any concessions from Russia, or applying any real pressure on them. Instead we're somehow managing to p--- off Australia.

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:38 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen

U.S. military probing more possible civilian deaths in Yemen raid (Including 1 American Citizen)

U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15G5RX

I will be anxiously awaiting a Bengazi level inquiry. Now, only 1 american child died, so maybe only 1/4 of the effort, but still, will be waiting.

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »

Online kozlodoev

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1064
Managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com