Author Topic: The President Trump Thread  (Read 126627 times)

The President Trump Thread
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5171
I figured there is going to be a lot to talk about almost daily so why not have a thread to encompass just about any subject that pertains to the administration, their decisions and actions and the news of the day. It will keep the CE forum from having dozens of threads on subjects large and small.

I would like this thread to become stickered and last so I want to reiterate that the rules of this forum be followed. I will be keeping an eye out and will kindly ask those that are breaking the rules to get back in line.

So to start off what do people think of the Neil Gorsuch nomination?

Re: The President Trump Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
I don't know enough about Judge Gorsuch's stand on issues to say for sure, but based on media reports it looks like he may be on the opposite side of many issues from me.

That said, he is by all accounts a brilliant and accomplished jurist who meets every requirement laid out by the Constitution.

I hope the Democrats protest the shameful and possibly unlawful display of obstructionism by the Republicans with respect to the nomination of Judge Garland by holding timely hearings and votes as required by the Constitution. The high road will show the opposition for what they are.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1055
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@nickagneta

excellent points

we need a thread like this

I cannot stress enough how important it is for ppl to at least try to keep it polite at all times.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2390
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I hope the Democrats protest the shameful and possibly unlawful display of obstructionism by the Republicans with respect to the nomination of Judge Garland by holding timely hearings and votes as required by the Constitution. The high road will show the opposition for what they are.

Yeah, that'll teach em.  ;)

In all seriousness it looks like they're going to filibuster the nomination. I'm not a fan for both moral and practical reasons, but I can't blame them for being mad about obstruction so unprecedented that the Rs had to invent a hypothetical alternate reality around an out-of-context 25 year old Biden quote to play the "both sides do it!" card. And there's considerable pressure from the left to categorically oppose Trump.

With the lack of political consequences for obstruction it's not surprising they'd try it, but I think it's going to fall flat and maybe backfire.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas
Re: Neil Gorsuch

I don't think anything yet, just collecting info.

He is a conservative in politics and an originalist when it comes to law, hardly a surprise tbh

Spent time in the UK studying at Univ.

At least when young, he was opposed to the alleged culture of PC at unis.

By comparison to the other likely nominees (Hardiman and Pryor), he is the one who nomination is likely to cause less uproar, esp. by comparison to Pryor.

OK article on the subject below

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/01/31/68608/trump-set-to-announce-supreme-court-nominee/

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett
BTW here are our President's thoughts on Black History Month from a "listening session" this morning:

Inspiring.

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 11:19:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 784
I'm going to say this once, and then stop looking at the political threads.

I go on Celtics Blog to get away from the bickering in politics.  It never ends. I am personally disgusted with the state of affairs, and Celtics Blog is one of my sanctuaries from this insanity.

Wish the mods would block all political threads. Diminishes the value of this site for me.

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:20:54 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1173

I go on Celtics Blog to get away from the bickering in politics.  It never ends. I am personally disgusted with the state of affairs, and Celtics Blog is one of my sanctuaries from this insanity.

Wish the mods would block all political threads. Diminishes the value of this site for me.
You can ask a moderator to be removed from the Current Events forum.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I've started to put people I find grating on these threads on the ignore list, that has helped me.

Personally I just wish current events didn't show up under latest forum topics so I wasn't tempted to click.

I think there is value in listening to those with differing opinions who can objectively view things, so I like listening to the opinions of some republicans. I find that it's only specific people whose opinions I find grating that frustrate me on these political threads.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 11:26:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5171

In all seriousness it looks like they're going to filibuster the nomination. I'm not a fan for both moral and practical reasons, but I can't blame them for being mad about obstruction so unprecedented that the Rs had to invent a hypothetical alternate reality around an out-of-context 25 year old Biden quote to play the "both sides do it!" card. And there's considerable pressure from the left to categorically oppose Trump.

With the lack of political consequences for obstruction it's not surprising they'd try it, but I think it's going to fall flat and maybe backfire.
I think the way the dems have delayed cabinet confirmations and the calls for filibustering will be all for naught. They don't have the Congressional power to stop the president from getting his people into the positions they have been nominated for. Delaying things is just petty and vengeful and accomplishes nothing.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »

Offline greece666

• Paul Silas

I know what you mean. Personally, despite being very interested in politics in general, I have not discussed or commented on Greek politics IRL in months. Too painful and frustrating.

Having said this, I could see this being a problem if the blog was not well structured. As it is, all  you have to do is avoid the Off Topic section. Or as kozlodoev mentioned, notify the mods of your wish.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett

I think the way the dems have delayed cabinet confirmations and the calls for filibustering will be all for naught. They don't have the Congressional power to stop the president from getting his people into the positions they have been nominated for. Delaying things is just petty and vengeful and accomplishes nothing.

Practically, yes. Costing a couple of days or weeks of a cabinet spot being filled does basically nothing. But political gestures are often more symbolic than anything else, and obstruction has proven to not move many votes against the obstructers, and might motivate more of the millions protesting to get out and vote the next time around.

That said, I don't like it. They were calling for a filibuster before even knowing who the nominee was, which is really unseemly to me regardless of what the Republicans pulled. I'd like a system where there are mechanisms for the Senate minority to slow down debate when it's vital - this seems consistent with the role the Founders wanted the Senate to play. But instead it's just turned into a routine tactic to stop everything the majority wants. Didn't like it when the Rs pulled it under Obama, don't like it now.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 739
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

From a practical standpoint, voters rewarded republicans for being obstructionist by giving them control of both houses and the presidency.

The Democrats need to look at how the republicans came to have all the power in government and learn from the republicans successes. Democrats have compromised with republicans for a long time now and it has shown that not giving an inch is actually a better strategy. For all their questionable practices, the tea party started a grass roots movement that lead to republicans running things, if the democrats don't do something similar during the midterms I think we will get 8 years of Trump with Republicans controlling all 3 branches of government.

Garland was a moderate choice meant to appease republicans and they wouldn't even vote on him, the republicans refused and ended up with someone as right wing as Scalia.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1173
Spent time in the UK studying at Univ.
That's an awfully circumvent way to say that he's got a Ph.D. in Jurisprudence from Oxford. :P

By comparison to the other likely nominees (Hardiman and Pryor), he is the one who nomination is likely to cause less uproar, esp. by comparison to Pryor.
He's several years younger than both of these, which is somewhat relevant given that the appointment is for life. However, the difference is small enough to be largely immaterial.

Not sure what to make of this nomination. It seems Gorusch just hasn't ruled on enough cases to get a full picture of what he's like (e.g. he has never been assigned to abortion cases).

(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Kevin Garnett

From a practical standpoint, voters rewarded republicans for being obstructionist by giving them control of both houses and the presidency.

I think it was less rewarding them than that the obstruction simply wasn't a factor. Heck, I heard a lot of hardcore Rs complaining they didn't obstruct enough and "gave Obama whatever he wanted"!

The Democrats need to look at how the republicans came to have all the power in government and learn from the republicans successes. Democrats have compromised with republicans for a long time now and it has shown that not giving an inch is actually a better strategy. For all their questionable practices, the tea party started a grass roots movement that lead to republicans running things, if the democrats don't do something similar during the midterms I think we will get 8 years of Trump with Republicans controlling all 3 branches of government.

It's notoriously more difficult to get the left to come out and vote, especially in midterms, but the movement against Trump is already several times larger than the early Tea Party. I've never seen the left so energized and active in my 30+ years of following politics. It's probably the biggest popular uprising on that side since Nixon/Vietnam. But it means almost nothing if it doesn't translate into elections.