Author Topic: Attack in Quebec City  (Read 1127 times)

Attack in Quebec City
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 330
There's been a lot of news this past week. One of the notable stories is the terror attack in Quebec City in which a 27 year old man shot multiple people at a Quebec City mosque (6 killed, 19 wounded).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-attack-suspect-known-for-right-wing-online-posts/article33833044/

Celtics fan for life.

Re: Attack in Quebec City
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:17:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1877
There's been a lot of news this past week. One of the notable stories is the terror attack in Quebec City in which a 27 year old man shot multiple people at a Quebec City mosque (6 killed, 19 wounded).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-attack-suspect-known-for-right-wing-online-posts/article33833044/

It's a horrible story.  I do appreciate that Quebec leadership immediately called this terrorism.  In the US, that word would be carefully avoided.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 895
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Very distrurbing. Six people left their home to pray and never came back.

It also makes me wonder. People with psychological problems exist at all times and places. Guns do too. Under what conditions do people decide to grab a gun, enter a building with people they do not like (mosque, gay bar, school, you name it), and use it?

I read the article, Bissonnette might have been disturbed, unlikeable person, but there is nothing exceptional in his prior behaviour that could serve as an explanation. He seemed to have had a normal, boring life similar to millions of other people.

Consider this too: although we have had our fair share political terrorism/violence here in Greece,on top of my head I do not remember any incident like what Bissonnette did in that mosque.   

Does this work like a fashion where the perpetrators immitate a story they read in the news?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 674
Very distrurbing. Six people left their home to pray and never came back.

It also makes me wonder. People with psychological problems exist at all times and places. Guns do too. Under what conditions do people decide to grab a gun, enter a building with people they do not like (mosque, gay bar, school, you name it), and use it?

I read the article, Bissonnette might have been disturbed, unlikeable person, but there is nothing exceptional in his prior behaviour that could serve as an explanation. He seemed to have had a normal, boring life similar to millions of other people.

Consider this too: although we have had our fair share political terrorism/violence here in Greece,on top of my head I do not remember any incident like what Bissonnette did in that mosque.   

Does this work like a fashion where the perpetrators immitate a story they read in the news?

[Bissonnette] was known in the city's activist circles as a right-wing troll who frequently took anti-foreigner and anti-feminist positions and stood up for U.S. President Donald Trump,” the Globe and Mail reports. “Mr. Bissonnette's online profile and school friendships revealed little interest in extremist politics until last March when French nationalist leader Marine Le Pen visited Quebec City and inspired Mr. Bissonnette to vocal extreme online activism, according to people who clashed with him.”

Always look out for vocal sexism, mysogyny, and xenophobia.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
@Fan from VT

Thanks for the answer.

You might be right.

My two cents however, is that we have plenty sexism, misogyny and xenophobia here. (And a ready supply of arms).

Hell, we even have a political """"party"""" (more of a criminal organization) dedicated to the spread of these ideas. And although there have been violent incidents of various sorts (murders with knives, shootings at the GD offices) there has not been as far as I recall an attack of the sort, I enter building X and start shooting people I never met before and about whom I know nothing. They were more of  a part of mini civil war of the left (communist and anarchist) with the neo-Nazis.

The way things are going though,  I suspect, we ll soon have  here too our first blind shooting. It's just such a cold blooded, cruel thing to do, it almost defies rational analysis, this is my take on it.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:08:13 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo

It's a horrible story. I do appreciate that Quebec leadership immediately called this terrorism. In the US, that word would be carefully avoided.

Good point.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 105
@Fan from VT

Thanks for the answer.

You might be right.

My two cents however, is that we have plenty sexism, misogyny and xenophobia here. (And a ready supply of arms).

Hell, we even have a political """"party"""" (more of a criminal organization) dedicated to the spread of these ideas. And although there have been violent incidents of various sorts (murders with knives, shootings at the GD offices) there has not been as far as I recall an attack of the sort, I enter building X and start shooting people I never met before and about whom I know nothing. They were more of  a part of mini civil war of the left (communist and anarchist) with the neo-Nazis.

The way things are going though,  I suspect, we ll soon have  here too our first blind shooting. It's just such a cold blooded, cruel thing to do, it almost defies rational analysis, this is my take on it.

I agree. We should continue to distinguish between ideas we don't like and actions we can't tolerate.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
@Fan from VT

Thanks for the answer.

You might be right.

I agree. We should continue to distinguish between ideas we don't like and actions we can't tolerate.

Such thoughts are well known risk factors, and the actions come after the thoughts foment in such swamps of hate. These actions are never "out of nowhere."

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline greece666

• Rajon Rondo
@Fan from VT

Thanks for the answer.

You might be right.

Such thoughts are well known risk factors, and the actions come after the thoughts foment in such swamps of hate. These actions are never "out of nowhere."

IMO the correct term is not 'risk factors' but necessary but not sufficient conditions. Otherwise, these factors would have predictive value, which they clearly do not have.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 03:44:43 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
@Fan from VT

Thanks for the answer.

You might be right.

IMO the correct term is not 'risk factors' but necessary but not sufficient conditions. Otherwise, these factors would have predictive value, which they clearly do not have.

Well, lack of those risk factors has negative predictive value.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 105
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/news/canada/2017/02/03/quebec-mosque-shooting-suspect-also-a-victim-imam-tells-funeral.html?client=safari

Imam in quebec goes out of his way to mention the shooter as a victim too.

Nice to hear.

By extension those people who make the shooter into a victim were victims themselves. And their predecessors also victims. I don't necessarily disagree. It's something to think about. Perhaps thinking of your enemy as a victim is a beneficial way of finding perspective. Or perhaps it is oversimplification. I will have to think about this more.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
The "muslim ban" thread is locked, but this kind of relates to the quebec city shooting too:

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2256
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yeesh. Not surprising though.

DKC League
"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• Ray Allen
The nice thing is we know this won't be true next year...not because of a change in risk (probably the opposite), but because under Trump/Bannon, white supremicists with violent tendencies won't be targeted by the FBI as extremists! So no arrests! Yay!