Author Topic: Holy Crap, we are going to get the First seed  (Read 15495 times)

Re: Holy Crap, we are going to get the First seed
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
10% shot at it according to BRef.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/playoff_prob.cgi

TP Billy. That's What I'm talking about!

Anyyyyyy thingggg is poooosibleeeee!

10% chance sounds about right.  Beat Toronto this week and I up it to 15%.

TP to KG for the optimism!

Back at you Dog!

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
If this team actually managed an ECF appearance, I wouldn't mind Ainge dealing the pick for that last piece.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
3.5 games is still far. You don't expect a team with the best player in the world to go on a 10 game losing streak. They just blew out the OKC today. I'm sure they will be fine. While 1st seed is nice, its better to temper our expectations.

LeBron is not the best player in the world.

We have a guy in the west who is leading the league in scoring WHILE averaging a triple double at the same time.  Thats something the nba hasn't seen in maybe 50 years.

If LeBron played in a team such as OKC, with no stars at his side, he could average a triple double and maybe score 35. That's not a fair measure of judgement, I believe. And I'm not saying LeBron is the best basketball player in the world, but the debate must be richer than this, with all respect.

If we don't trade for a star before the deadline, let's focus on keeping 2-3 seed to avoid Cleveland until the ECF. It is a more realistic approach.

He has played on such teams with the cars and never came close...

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Never underestimate the fact that Lebron has the proper nutrition to stay strong late in the season.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's not out of the realm of possibility.  Lebron has played a ton of minutes, he's going to have to rest more over the home stretch.  Cleveland are a terrible team when Lebron rests.

It probably doesn't matter in the long run but it would be pretty fantastic to be able to get to the ECF without having to go through the Cavs or Raptors.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I don't think it happens, but it would be pretty fantastic if it does because Boston avoids both Cleveland and Toronto until the ECF, which means that Boston should be in the ECF.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Friendly reminder that ~1 week ago we were on the most dismal losing jag of the year, and the Cavs are world champs. Doesn't seem likely.

But I always prefer irrational optimism to irrational pessimism, so TP to the OP.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 01:57:29 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Nope

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

The Cavs are imploding. The King is in distress. The Kingdom is falling. Their fate is certain.

The SHamrock is shining. The Little one is streaking. The rich guy is returning. Carmelo is coming.

3.5 Games out of first place? Stevens always gets hot Late. The playoffs do take a dramatic shift if we are the #1 seed.

Can't believe I'm saying it but it's real. You have been Warned. We are coming for your Crown King. By any means necessary.

Wooooo Hoooooo!

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
3.5 games is still far. You don't expect a team with the best player in the world to go on a 10 game losing streak. They just blew out the OKC today. I'm sure they will be fine. While 1st seed is nice, its better to temper our expectations.

We have a guy in the west who is leading the league in scoring WHILE averaging a triple double at the same time.  Thats something the nba hasn't seen in maybe 50 years.

If LeBron played in a team such as OKC, with no stars at his side, he could average a triple double and maybe score 35. That's not a fair measure of judgement, I believe. And I'm not saying LeBron is the best basketball player in the world, but the debate must be richer than this, with all respect.

If we don't trade for a star before the deadline, let's focus on keeping 2-3 seed to avoid Cleveland until the ECF. It is a more realistic approach.

He had 30/7/9 more or less in a very talented Cleveland team with Ilgauskas, Varejao, Mo Williams, Jamison, etc. That's a lot better supporting cast.

As I said, I didn't want to state LeBron as the best player or far better than Westbrook, but put a new perspective into the debate.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

He had 30/7/9 more or less in a very talented Cleveland team with Ilgauskas, Varejao, Mo Williams, Jamison, etc. That's a lot better supporting cast.

As I said, I didn't want to state LeBron as the best player or far better than Westbrook, but put a new perspective into the debate.
That team did not have a better supporting cast than OKC does right now.  Oladipo is a better player than anyone on that Cavs teams (aside from James of course).  Adams is a better version of Varejao and likely better than Williams for the 2nd best teammate.  Kanter is a superb scoring big man, basically the opposite of Varejao, but for numbers purposes is more valuable. 

And Jamison was on that team for 25 games as a trade deadline pick up.  Big Z missed 18 games and was playing 20 mpg as a backup.  Anthony Parker and JJ Hickson were starters for that team. Jamison, Shaq, and Big Z were all well past their prime and in the case of Shaq and Z weren't much use to the Cavs.  And that was actually one of the better supporting casts James had.  It really was a sad state of affairs in Cleveland before James left the first time. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I doubt it happens but will love to see the Cs make a run at it. If the Celtics can start playing defense like last year without sacrificing offense....anything is possible.

Also, Lebron us due for an injury. He had gone his whole career without one. If he gets injured, the Celtics should take the number 1 seed.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 11:57:04 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Cleveland loses to Dallas, 2.5 games baby.  They're only 11-10 on the road, and have played 5 more home than road games.  We're right there.  Need to play some defense and rebound better.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 12:15:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Just really hope Danny doesn't do something stupid like trading for Melo and tying up all that salary. Also Amir and Zeller would probably have to go in the deal, and depth at the 5 is critical in a playoff series anyway.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 12:16:17 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I doubt it happens but will love to see the Cs make a run at it. If the Celtics can start playing defense like last year without sacrificing offense....anything is possible.

Also, Lebron us due for an injury. He had gone his whole career without one. If he gets injured, the Celtics should take the number 1 seed.

If Lebron gets an injury, the Cavs may miss the playoffs  ;D
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.